Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Insertion,
    I apologize for being rude.
    The feature that the built in security program (or any other security program that I know of) is missing, is the keyguard functionality. You might ask why would you want a keyguard functionality if you already have the built in keyguard. The idea is to have one program do both jobs so you don't have to unlock the key guard and then unlock the security guard. I am looking for a program (doesn't have to be a security program. It could be just a simple keyguard program) that alows the user to define the key combination to unlock the keygurd or the security guard (what ever the case may be). By doing this you only need to deal with one program instead of dealing with keygurad and then the security guard. The only program that has come close to doing this is Teallock, which also let the user punch in any pre-defined combination of keys to unlock without having to push Ok. The only thing that this program is missing is that it is not acting as a keygurad. Anotherwords if the user does not push any keys or push the wrong keys, it will not turn the device off like the built in keyguard does.
    In essence, I am looking for a keyguard program that lets the user define what keys to press without having to press ok or any other keys after pressing the pre-defined keys.
    Last edited by Mateen; 09/13/2005 at 12:48 PM.
    To some extent, you could use the built-in security to do this if you turn off KeyGuard. On mine, if you don't enter anything into your Treo or enter the wrong password it will turn back off after about 30 sec. Not quick as fast as KeyGuard, but it might serve your needs since there doesn't seem to be anything else out there.
    Wow, I really like the built in security program. I've never messed with it before. The problem I have had with every keyguard I ever tried, was (for one they don't work right on the treo) and you can bypass them buy just resetting the phone.
    The built in program turns on on a login page so if my treo gets turned on accidentally, (I don't know how that happens all the time) it won't be a problem because the treo will be on the security login page
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra
    Wow, I really like the built in security program. I've never messed with it before. The problem I have had with every keyguard I ever tried, was (for one they don't work right on the treo) and you can bypass them buy just resetting the phone.
    The built in program turns on on a login page so if my treo gets turned on accidentally, (I don't know how that happens all the time) it won't be a problem because the treo will be on the security login page
    But your phone will stay on for 30 seconds. The idea is to have a keyguard to turn the screen off in 4 seconds. This would also take care of the Treo's random waking up.
    Quote Originally Posted by geneld
    To some extent, you could use the built-in security to do this if you turn off KeyGuard. On mine, if you don't enter anything into your Treo or enter the wrong password it will turn back off after about 30 sec. Not quick as fast as KeyGuard, but it might serve your needs since there doesn't seem to be anything else out there.
    And that was my point geneld. (Apology accepted btw Mateen.)

So back the problem, I'm guessing what you (Mateen) don't like about the password feature is that it doesn't shut off the device quick enough? If so, okay I can understand that.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateen
    But your phone will stay on for 30 seconds.
    Ya, 3 mintes for me

Ow, the other one that dosent work was pocketprotector which is a shame because it prevents alarms from waking up the treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra
    Your Treo will wake for any number of reasons...searching for a signal, network time sync, or it could be a program like Snapper that turns on @ 3am every morning.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    And that was my point geneld.
    I guess I'd never thought about not using KeyGuard before - so it when I tried it again, I also found it annoying that I had to hit one of the buttons, hit the center button and then type in my password. I was just trying to clarify Mateen that with the security app KeyGuard isn't necessary in my opinion - others may find the time out too long on their Treos.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I guess I'd never thought about not using KeyGuard before - so it when I tried it again, I also found it annoying that I had to hit one of the buttons, hit the center button and then type in my password. I was just trying to clarify Mateen that with the security app KeyGuard isn't necessary in my opinion - others may find the time out too long on their Treos.
    Keyguard functionality is important because the phone can get turned on by pushing any of the hard buttons by accident. I can not do without a Keyguard
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateen
    Keyguard functionality is important because the phone can get turned on by pushing any of the hard buttons by accident. I can not do without a Keyguard
    In my opinion though, the security app serves that purpose almost as well as KeyGuard does with the benefit of securing your Treo. On my Treo - after the last button press with Security on, the Treo turns off after 30 secs (I know others claimed longer) - to me 30 vs. 4 is not that big of a deal. I found, as I think you did from your initial post, that the combination of both KeyGuard and Security was too awkward to use. So far, it's only been about 8 hours - so I'll see, I think just using security will be sufficient for me.
    This looks like an interesting product here

I like the fact it will still let someone make an emergency call.

-jeff

edit: I didn't realize the Treo Security also lets you make an emergency call.
    Last edited by tbone-Ike; 09/14/2005 at 12:38 PM.
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone-Ike
    This looks like an interesting product here

I like the fact it will still let someone make an emergency call.

-jeff

edit: I didn't realize the Treo Security also lets you make an emergency call.
    No Keyguard functionality.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Do you have to key in your password to answer it? I mean using the standard security that comes with the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djscoe
    Do you have to key in your password to answer it? I mean using the standard security that comes with the Treo.
    No. You can still answer the phone.

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Cool, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djscoe
    Cool, thanks.
    Just to add, you won't be able to do anything with the Treo while on a call. The only thing that will function is the 5-way and the Green and Red phone keys.

17. sj3
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Just to add, you won't be able to do anything with the Treo while on a call. The only thing that will function is the 5-way and the Green and Red phone keys.
    This fact was kind of a bummer for me. Using built-in security and keyguard, someone calls while the phone's 'locked', it shows fine who's calling and lets me answer or ignore. However, when I wanted to look something up in my schedule while I was on the phone, it wouldn't present the password prompt. Just no response to any of the menu and/or home keys. Seemed impossible to get to the Treo while on a call unless it was unlocked before the call.

BTW, the 'end' key turns the device off immediately; no timeout.

Thanks,

sj
    Quote Originally Posted by sj3
    This fact was kind of a bummer for me. Using built-in security and keyguard, someone calls while the phone's 'locked', it shows fine who's calling and lets me answer or ignore. However, when I wanted to look something up in my schedule while I was on the phone, it wouldn't present the password prompt. Just no response to any of the menu and/or home keys. Seemed impossible to get to the Treo while on a call unless it was unlocked before the call.

BTW, the 'end' key turns the device off immediately; no timeout.

Thanks,

sj
    I hear ya. I found that out the hard way as well

I understand keeping the device locked, that part makes sense, but to not be able to bring up the password screen is annoying.

Actually, once your on the call, if you pusth the green phone button, it will bring up the password screen and you can enter it to access the rest of the phone. It doesn't transmit the key presses over the phone either, so you don't have to annoy the person on the other end.
    Actually, once your on the call, if you pusth the green phone button, it will bring up the password screen and you can enter it to access the rest of the phone. It doesn't transmit the key presses over the phone either, so you don't have to annoy the person on the other end.
    It takes me awhile to do this, but you're right. I get the "Flash Screen", but everytime I scroll over to Main View button, I have to hit it several times with the D Pad. Frustrating, but it does work after three or four presses. TYVM!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast