Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Edo
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Hey all,

My Treo 650's headphone jack is going bad and was wondering if the Treo 650 warrant covered this and if peopel ahve run through this process before.

I dont want to lose my phone for a period of time to get it replaced either..

Thanks,

Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by Edo
    Hey all,

My Treo 650's headphone jack is going bad and was wondering if the Treo 650 warrant covered this and if peopel ahve run through this process before.

I dont want to lose my phone for a period of time to get it replaced either..

Thanks,

Ed
    Of course the warranty covers this. It's a defect. If you got the phone from your carrier, just take it to then, and they will likely swap it out for you.

If you bought the unlocked GSM treo directly from Palm, then you will have to send it to them to get replaced...and avoiding a wait is impossible.
  3. Edo
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Sweet so I can walk to my sprint store, should I bring anything? Dunno if the reciept or manual is on me..
    Its a 'proven defect' or just an issue with alot of people. Mine is coming a bit loose as well, and is staticy when I put it into my pocket and the jack wiggles.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Edo
    Sweet so I can walk to my sprint store, should I bring anything? Dunno if the reciept or manual is on me..
    You will need nothing but your phone if you are going to try to swap it out for a different one at the Sprint store. They will just give you the phone, and only the phone, as a replacement. Keep in mind that they will test it, and if they find it needs to be replaced, it will most likely be a refurb. Also, they may not (most likely won't) have a replacement in stock; at least with my experience. So you might have to wait.
    Yep. I got a brand spankin new rev B because of this. No hassle at all.
    1. are people with this problem all using an audio out "L" adapter or just the included normal ear bud?
    2. does the "hardware B" have a more fortified jack?

thanks
    Gekko,

I did use an "L" adapter for a little while, but always laid the Treo on my armrest, so no stress was applied to the jack. My audio jack and charging connection on the bottom just was just worn out. I would have to hold my hotsync cable at an angle while hotsyincing, or it would lose connection (I went thru ~5 cables from Sprint). Then my outgoing audio while using a headset stopped working. After my 6th trip to Sprint, they tested this and since they couldn't "patch" it up by giving me another hotsync cable, they finally ordered me a new Treo.

4 days later, I get a brand new rev. B Treo. From what I can tell, the bottom connectors are the same, but overall the build of the unit is solid. The camera takes better photos too.

Anyhow, they should replace it as long as there is no obvious physical damage (cracked from an L adapter, etc). Just be nice and patient with them...works better than screaming at them.
    eric - thanks for the info. i don't use the "L" adaptor nor do I listen to mp3s on my treo. i do use the earbud though, and i was concerned about this possible vulnerability. i have hardware B and it seems solid.
  10. Edo
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I used the L Adapter and I got a regular headphoen that fit in there, and I still have audio problems (i cant hear out of the left side unless I push down on the jack)
  11. Edo
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Edit:

After long talking and hassling. They cannot test my phone to prove the stero ability doesnt work. They cant use any 3rd party stuff not supported by spring, so I have to BUY a JABRAŽ C220s online, which is supported by sprint (since no stores sell it) and then show them it doesnt work.

BS BS BS
    Last edited by Edo; 09/11/2005 at 07:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    My jack broke after about 2 days of mp3 playing via an L adapter. Took it to the sprint store (bought it here at treocentral but that didn't matter) and they told me after 20 minutes that it's bad and they'll get me a replacement phone. Took a week to them get it, came back and they swapped phones. All covered under warranty...
    what if you bought the phone off of someone new (not through sprint or palm) and you have insurance on your plan (sprint) ? will they swap it out if the headset jack is messed up? when i use a headset, i can hear n' such, but no mic
    The headphone jack on my first Treo 650 crapped out after a year. I researched this forum and tried the ProGold fix. Unfortunately, I had no luck so I printed out reports from this forum and took the reports and my Treo to a Sprint store. The Sprint clerks were clueless. They didn't think I should be listening to music on it. The clerk gave me back the Treo with a phone earbud and told me that this is what I should use with the Treo. From there it went down hill. The "manager" was an ***** too. It was a terrible experience and after much hassle I got authorization for a Sprint/Lockline replacement. Well, after 2 months the headphone jack crapped out on the replacement. That's it! No more music on the Treo 650 for me. An IPOD Mini is now my music device. The Treo 650 is still a good product but as a converged device this headphone jack problem is a big disappointment.
    Last edited by dneizer; 09/18/2005 at 09:46 AM.
    My headphone jack went out a couple of months ago. It took me three trips to the Sprint store. On the first trip, they told me they couldn't reproduce the problem and that I needed to use the Treo 650 headset. Despite the fact that they would gladly trade me $10 for the L-adapter in the store, they told me that it was not supported officially. I bought a different adapter from Radio Shack to see if the adapter was the problem and went back to Sprint. No luck, same story - "Buy the Treo 650 headset." I did try to call Lockline, but they refered me back to the Sprint store.

Finally, I ordered the Treo 650 headset online and had it sent to me. After finding out I obviously still had a problem, I went back to the Sprint store and showed the manager. She dropped it off for the tech to look at and I left to have dinner. When I came back, the customer service rep told me that I needed the Treo 650 headset to make the sound work properly! I pulled out the headset from my pocket and said "Oh, this one?" She then proceeded to tell me that was not the one I needed, and I started to loose it. When she could tell I was not going to back down, she offered to let me see the tech, who took his time getting out front to see me. When he got out to the front, he showed me in the manual where some headsets may not be supported and told me I needed the Treo 650 headset. I showed him my "official" Treo 650 headset, and he looked at me and said "You'll have to show me how to reproduce the problem, since you know more about this phone than I do." I popped my SD card in, fired up AeroPlayer and showed him the problem. Immediately, he said, "Well, I'll be. I guess your headset jack is bad. Your ground connection has come loose. There's a first time for everything." He then asked me where I got the headset, how much it cost, and then showed the customer service rep that this headset is the one he recommended next time someone came in with this problem.

After all that, Sprint finally gave me a Rev B phone which has been great so far. Be persistent, and you might think about ordering a Treo 650 headset to save yourself the hassle of dealing with Sprint. It won't keep the jack from going bad, but may save you a few days in your effort to get the phone replaced.
    When will the manufacturers learn that if you're going to put a jack in people are going to try to use it to listen to music. So you might as well put in a quality 3.5 jack and save yourself some problems in the future... ugh.
    Interesting. I've had two Treos replaced due to bad jacks, and had no problem with Sprint. In fact, they didn't even require me to demonstrate the problem. They took my Treo in the back, did their magic, and came back to tell me they were ordering a replacement. Sorry your experience was so awful....

-TR1
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I too got a replacement over a faulty phone jack. Got a new one handed to me out of the box, so no complaints. How can I tell if I now have a Rev B?
    Under the Phone Info in the Phone application.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Eep! Still a Rev A. Ah well.... still works. Thanks, Tony
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast