1.    #1  
    Check out this Bluetooth adapter that's being sold on eBay. They say it has a range of 100m (over 300 feet). Can this be right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bluetooth-USB-ad...QQcmdZViewItem
    Hey Andrew,

BT devies typically come in three Classes (I,II,III) with Class I obviously having the largest range and power consumption. Most BT headsets for mobile phones are Class III, and I also believe the 650 only has a Class III BT radio. Thus this would make sense as a Class III BT device, but note that BOTH devices would need to have Class I to get that full range...

Power Class Maximum Output Power
    1 100 mW (20 dBm)
    2 2.5 mW (4 dBm)
    3 1 mW (0 dBm)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Class I will work with class III, right?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks gfunk. Is there a long-range bluetooth adapter that I can buy pre-built? I want to sit in my living room and use by bedroom's bt to log on to the net or hotsync. I know I can solder an antena on to a bt adapter, but nothing good can come from me trying to melt metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    Class I will work with class III, right?
    Yeah sure, but remember both devices have to be class I to get the full range! Thus the range of the connection is always limited by the weakest radio..

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTreo
    Thanks gfunk. Is there a long-range bluetooth adapter that I can buy pre-built? I want to sit in my living room and use by bedroom's bt to log on to the net or hotsync. I know I can solder an antena on to a bt adapter, but nothing good can come from me trying to melt metal.

Sorry, I don't know anything about that! But you might as well try using a Class I. I read people getting pretty good range with their Treos even though it only has a class III bt radio...

I use the Linksys USBBT100 (class I), and I can connect using bluetooth from anywhere in my house.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    Yeah sure, but remember both devices have to be class I to get the full range! Thus the range of the connection is always limited by the weakest radio..
    This is a very common misconception

Range of connection has two major factors

transmit "strength" of transmitter/antenna system

receive "sensitivity" of receiver/antenna system

I can communicate with our "wimpy" treo650 bluetooth radios from many, many miles away by simply building a very sensitive antenna that can hear our weak treo650 signal and also by transmitting a higher power/more efficient RF signal that will get to the treo650.

The linksys usb-bt100 adapter that everyone is raving about, uses a high power transmitter and a nice adjustable receiver antenna to acheive this.

AndrewTreo:

The link you posted looks like a copy of the linksys USBBT100 that everyone likes because of the great range. Purchase a Genuine Linksys one from newegg here:

link to adapter

it should definately give you the range you need.
    Mine works like a charm. I can update the firmware on my permanently installed bluetooth handsfree car kit, while it is out in the driveway!

Good luck
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    I got mine from Amazon for $39. It only took me a few minutes to set it up. The wizzard set up is very easy.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTreo
    I bought a cheap-o usb adapter for my pc, and I'm not sure the full range, but I am able to use it throughout all 3 stories of our house via PPP and my Treo to connect to the internet.
    Mobi·gas·mic!