1.    #1  
    I searched through the forums but couldn't find a "complete" answer.

I was sitting in my office and sent a text message to my wife. I got a response almost immediately from "121". The message said "Echo: [my wife's e-mail address] [my original message to her]". I found that odd so I tried to send it again and got the same result. I thought it might be an issue with Cingular's network so I ignored it and put my Treo 650 down on my desk.

A few minutes later, for what appears to be an unknown reason, the device lit up and went into what looked like a soft reset. It went through its reset cycle and came back up like it normally would. I turned on the phone feature and then went to my e-mail. It appears, somewhere during the reset, that my mail settings disappeared yet my mail from today was still in their respective folders. I decided to check some other settings/prefs and it appears that some of them disappeared as well. I tapped on Docs To Go and the pre-purchase splash screen and terms of useage appeared. I went to calendar and, while it appears that nothing was lost, it does not default to Agenda view as was previously set. I went to Preferences and checked the "Owner" section and, lo and behold, my device's name was gone.

Seems like it went through some sort of hard reset I guess yet my data still seems to be intact. Just my settings and preferences have disappeared. My questions are:

1) Any idea what could have caused this?
    2) Will a sync restore my settings or screw something up further (should I do something else ont he device PRIOR to syncing)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My Treo 650 usually runs pretty bug free so I was a tad startled by the odd behavior.

Drew
    Sounds like your "Saved Preferences" file has gone corrupt. As to why, I can't answer that.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Sounds like your "Saved Preferences" file has gone corrupt. As to why, I can't answer that.
    Do you think a sync is a good idea that could potentially fix it or should I go another route first?
    This is not a hard reset (if it was, you would have lost everything added after you received the Treo from the factory).

Looks like you had a reset and lost your Saved Preferences file.

DO NOT HOTSYNC without doing this first: Right click the hotsync icon in the Windows system tray, Select Custom, Select Backup, change it to Desktop overwrites Handheld. Do not make that the default.

Now, when you Hotsync, the backup conduit will replace the file called SavedPreferences.pdb on your handheld with the version it had backed up on the PC.

In general, you should save that file often, using a backup software or even free software like FileZ. Save a copy on the SD card and you can get back your settings on the road (with FileZ) in case your Treo crashes like this in the future.

What caused the crash? Open the phone application Type #*377 (for a Cingular or any GSM phone) and ##377 for Sprint (I think) and something like this (maybe *#377 ?) for Verizon phone abd tap Dial. You'll get a screen with the likely cause of the crash.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdgr
    Do you think a sync is a good idea that could potentially fix it or should I go another route first?
    Not likely to fix it. Unless this just happened, and your last sync/backup is, say a week old, you'll just keep reloading the corrupt database.

You should probably delete the file, and start from scratch. Your Treo will be fine, but you'll have to re-enter serials and settings.

Once you have it setup again, it would be a good idea to keep a copy of the Saved Preferences file on your SD card, so that way should this happen again, you can copy it over.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    This is not a hard reset (if it was, you would have lost everything added after you received the Treo from the factory).

DO NOT HOTSYNC without doing this first: Right click the hotsync icon in the Windows system tray, Select Custom, Select Backup, change it to Desktop overwrites Handheld. Do not make that the default.

Now, when you Hotsync, the backup conduit will replace the file called SavedPreferences.pdb on your handheld with the version it had backed up on the PC.

In general, you should save that file often, using a backup software or even free software like FileZ. Save a copy on the SD card and you can get back your settings on the road (with FileZ) in case your Treo crashes like this in the future.

What caused the crash? Open the phone application Type #*377 (for a Cingular or any GSM phone) and ##377 for Sprint (I think) and something like this (maybe *#377 ?) for Verizon phone abd tap Dial. You'll get a screen with the likely cause of the crash.
    I'll take a look into these steps and see if that helps. Sounds logical. I did the #*377 (never knew you could do that) and got the following:

a crash occured on
    9/8/05 at 318pm while
    running "Messaging":

MemoryMgr.c,
    Line:3739,non-word-
    aligned handle
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad

I followed your directions and everything seems to be back to normal.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

I guess I need to start saving that Saved Preferences file.