Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm always asked this question, and I always answer the same way:
    "I hate being a beta tester from something I've paid for."

Let's face it - the 650 is extremely buggy. Yes, I have the latest firmware. Yes, I know that Versamail sucks and I paid extra to get chattermail, which works fine except it drains the battery in less than a day, even if I check mail only every 15 mins from 5am to midnight.

Right now my Treo is crashing:
    - every time I hotsync
    - almost every time I go into chattermail. yes, I got the latest chatter beta, it didn't help.
    - occasionally in other apps, for no apparent reason

Nice, huh?

Bluetooth DUN is great, but it takes around 6-7 tries of entering codes and rebooting the laptop to get it to work. By the time I get online, I've forgotten what it is I needed to do.

Every time chatter crashes, it says "a mailbox called XXX appears to be missing, do you want to restore it?" Sure, go ahead, and recheck the 2000+ messages in my mail spool, that will only take 2 hours.

Every week or so the Treo comes up with "your phone must be configured for vision services, do you want to do this now?" Yeah, sure, I've only done it 8 gazillion times already, what's one more?

I love the functionality that the 650 offers, but I don't plan to ever buy another Palm product unless it's given to me as a free upgrade.

Don't take this as a **** and moan post - there is no other device I know of that offers the functionality of the 650, I just wish it worked the way it's supposed to.

If you know of any solutions to the above issues, short of tossing it from the 8th floor, let me know.
    Mine is nice and stable...and chuck full of applications. Sorry for your luck. I love my Treo. Batt life could be better. I'd recommend switching your mail app.
  3.    #3  
    Switch email app again? To what?

There are some previous posts that suggest memory corruption. ##377 shows dmwritecheck failed, as I detailed in another post, and many others have experienced.
    I'm very open to suggestions, please keep them coming.
    My Sprint 650 has been totally stable as well. I had major problems when running Chattermail, so I switched to Snapper. After the switch, all the problems went away.
    Had the same issues.. crashes, reboots... I finally got tired of it and went to a Sprint store and they replaced it. The Treo I now have is allot more stable then the first. I use versamail and have not had any issues with it..
    Quote Originally Posted by danix
    Don't take this as a **** and moan post - there is no other device I know of that offers the functionality of the 650, I just wish it worked the way it's supposed to.
    Too late
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    Sprint Treo 650. Totally stable. Totally happy. Best PDA on the planet.

(3rd party applications are, more often than not, the root of any evil that befalls a Treo. . . . . . . . . . . . . IMHO)

But I do run Docs to Go, HandMark Express, Pocket Quicken, iPedia, eReader, MoblieTS and VolumeCare.. . . . .VersaMail works for me. . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 09/09/2005 at 10:18 AM.
    No problems here as well
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
  9.    #9  
    I don't really have any 3rd party apps - well, there's vindigo, and chattermail, but that's about it.
    Early adopters were beta testers.
    Some problems in the beginning should have been well ironed out before the product was released, but the same thing happend with the 600. So I expected problems with the 650 initially. Eventually most problems were fixed with the 2 updates, and now the phone (650) is VERY stable as far as I am concerned.

I love the phone and I am not sure what it would take for me to replace it at this point. Maybe if someone made a phone that spat out $100 bills every minute I would drop the 650 like it was HOT!
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    ^ When I first got my T650 6 months ago I experienced random resets ALL THE TIME even with a basic setup of known STABLE apps.

Shortly after I upgraded to the first GSM "beta" update, and reloaded ALL my applications, my Treo finally started showing signs of stability. Around the same time I started using ChatterEmail; which I have found to be VERY stable, even more so than VersaMail.

My Treo now only has a random resets maybe once a week or so--which I think is bearable. If I was you, I would (1) exchange my Treo for a new/refurbished one, (2) remove my existing Palm profile from my computer and (3) sync/reload all of my data and applications--apps that are KNOWN to work well on the T650--from scratch one at a time.

I went through the above process (with the exception of an equipment exchange) every time I upgraded my firmware, and as a result, my Treo continues to remain stable and extremely reliable.
    Last edited by spiVeyx; 09/08/2005 at 01:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx
    ^ When I first got my T650 6 months ago I experienced random resets ALL THE TIME even with a basic setup of know STABLE apps.

Shortly after I upgraded to the first GSM "beta" update and reloaded ALL my applications my Treo finally started showing signs of stability. Around the same time I started using ChatterEmail which I have found to be VERY stable, even more so than VersaMail.

My Treo now only has a random resets maybe once a week or so--which I think bearable. If I was you, I would (1) exchange my Treo for a new/refurbished one, (2) remove my existing Palm profile from my computer and (3) sync/reload all of my data and applications--apps that are KNOWN to work well on the T650--from scratch one at a time.

I went through the above process (with the exception of an equipment exchange) every time I upgraded my firmware, and as a result, my Treo continues to remain stable and extremely reliable.
    I agree...

But I would zero out reset first.
    And then reload everything.
    Sometimes there is a lot of left over corruptions that a soft reset or hard reset wont fix. It is a pain in the *** to zero reset but it might solve all of your problems completely.
    I don't have any problems with VersaMail. In fact, my Treo will randomly reset about once a week. And sometimes it is slow to wake up. Both are annoyances that should be fixed, but they are all the problems that I have.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  14.    #14  
    I did a zero-out and resynced, let's see if it works.
  15. BGS
    I must be very lucky...No major problems here for the last 5 months..
    Keep in mind even the space shuttle seems like it is always in a beta form too...
    Smile,

Bruce
    Bruce,
    Treo 600 & 650 / Cingular
    Quote Originally Posted by danix
    I did a zero-out and resynced, let's see if it works.
    Yikes....
    Zero out resync might not work.
    You gotta Zero out.
    Change the name of your backup folder on your pc.
    resync just the PIM info.
    Then reload apps from scratch.

If you just resync everything you may transfer the problem right back to the phone.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    ^ Ditto. Resyncing will very likely NOT solve your problem. You need to reload your applications on ONE AT A TIME, "from scratch".

I have found this to be the BEST approach when trying to fix radom resets.

You may also want to make sure you're using the latest versions of all third-party apps. When I went through this process I found that a lot of the applications I was using were recently updated to support the T650's memory.
    Another happy user. I had some issues at first but I feel at this point this is more stable than my 600 was, VersaMail works for me too.
    Like Perry said, totally stable best PDA made.

I have occasionally had a reset but have always been able to track down the cause and 100% of the time it has been a corrupt file or bad extension, things like that.

I use:
    chatter e-mail
    xiino
    megacommander
    zlauncher
    pocket tunes deluxe
    pocketlingo
    towncompass dataviewer
    uninstall manager
    resco photo viewer
    resco file manager
    megalauncher
    hilauncher
    backup buddy
    super memo
    date book 5
    davis drug book
    steadmans medical
    oxford english dictionary
    tetris
    handmark chess
    documents to go premium
    always on
    highlighter
    treo guard
    treo alert manager
    treo select text
    thought manager
    IBM java
    kmaps
    directory assistant
    cutpaste5
    AW Geographical atlas
    MegaClock
    PXA Clocker
    topic's American Sign Language
    bug me note pad
    dis. Buttons
    KB Lights off
    fatfinger
    LEDoff
    SpellCheck 1.6
    QuickCheck by mobisystems
    downloader
    snap
    VolumeCare
    VolKeys
    TCB (ToCountBeans)
    SecureNotesTree
    Obfuscate
    SplashMoney
    and Textras

This is a stable setup for me. I have had occasional problems but nothing a "start from scratch and add one at a time" hasn't cured, (worst case scenario ).

Usually all that needs to be done is pay attention to the problem, experiment and gather clues.
    Since the latest firmware, I think the 650 is pretty stable now. No complaints here, but I can see the misgivings of those who got their Treos earlier this year or thosewho still have not installed the latest firmware...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast