Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    why don't u guys get the travel channel? I know they show poker on there when there's the world poker tour I would love to be able to watch the wpt on mobitv ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin
    Done this morning, and purchased through Handmark...thanks!
    So your saying that MobiTV works on your Sprint Treo 650?
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Works great on my sprint 650

Fred
    I just bought and installed MobiTV and have a couple of reactions after using it on VZW.

It works much better than I expected. Installation was easy and it works from either the SD card or RAM. There is a fair amount of pixelization, but the video keeps up with the sound pretty well. It is much better than a VZW TV service I saw on a phone a cabbie had in SF about six months ago. That picture was very choppy and amost unwatchable. I live in the Washington DC area and have received the 404 error message only once this evening and it cleared up on its own in about 30 seconds. I still have to test it during the day.

You are much better off using it with the headphone because of the limitations of the Treo speaker.

While a CDMA phone can't take phone calls when MobiTV is running, you do get an immediate notification when you get a voice mail.

As noted by others, the content is the real limitation. I understand that MobiTV would love to get as much content as possible and the problem is with the content providers. Regardless, the content is pretty limited. My work requires me to be a news and political junkie and I actually watch C-SPAN and other news channels, but I really wish the entertainment content was better. It would make commuting and other downtime a lot more fun.

Keeping in mind that this is really a first generation product, it is impressive. However, I can't help but think (hope) that in a couple of years I will be watching movies in HD on my PDA Phone while thinking about how far we've come since the first days of MobiTV.

Bottom line: The geek/cool factor is high (even my non-tech wife thought it was cool), but I'm not sure I'll keep it at $10/month. I guess I'll see if I'm still using it in a couple of weeks. I'm not spending $120/year just to wow my friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by fkpalm
    Works great on my sprint 650

Fred
    Dooooooh!
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    any chance for a yearly subscribtion with a good price cut?
    MobiTV,

Any updates on the Cingular w/ old sim issue? I sent an email to support but did not get a helpful response.

thanks
    Couple questions...Using a Cingular Treo here, all updated, factory ROM.

What are 404 errors? I get them pretty much on all the channels that I've checked out...usually followed by "receiving signal" while "Tuning To xxx"

At 1am or 1pm, my service is about the same. Great signal (full bars, but I see from previous posts that does not matter)

I checked the handmark FAQ, but no real good "Tech-Type" info there. I think a lot of users would like to know more about "what's going on under the hood". How about some info on the tech side!?

What's "best case" frame rate, or what does it stream at? I'm guessing 6-10 fps is what I'm actually getting.

I'm sure it will all just get better with time!
    We are having a big thunderstorm, and my DirecTV signal is gone. But MobiTV is working great with no buffering.

I know we will all use this service for different things, and I am now using it more then I will in the future, as I am just checking out this new and unique service. The times I see myself using it, would be when away from home, and I want some news. Especially when their is something big going on. I would never want to watch a TV show on my Treo. I do that at home on the HD TiVo. I can see those with long commutes would want something different then I do.

mobitv,
    I was wondering, since my main use for this would be to get news, is it possible to make an option to improve the quality of text on the screen? Tickers on the bottom of the screen are almost impossible to read.

For instance, the user could chouse to have the text enhanced at an understood hit to the video under it. The way this might work, is that your computers at your end, would do text recognition, and send the text as 8 bit text. This would dramatically decrease the bandwidth required, and the text would be perfect, since the text would not be sent as video.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    I'm not sure if its a coincidence, but I noticed that when I use Powerrun to move MobiTv to my sd card it now remembers the last channel I was watching every time I run it.
    When I used Zlauncher to move, or just kept it in main memory it would always restart at the demo channel.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    lulugirl896, I have/use ZLauncher and moved it (MobiTV) to my SD card & it always remembers the last channel I had it on, also.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quick update:

-Fix for old Cingular SIMs (as well as adding support for T-Mobile and unlocked customers) is being tested now and should be out later this week.

-Yearly subscription is a good idea, glad to hear you'd want one! We have talked about this, I'll mention it again and see where we are.

-I'm a big fan of closed captioning, which would satisfy those of you looking for readable text (I think). Requires work on the part of the content providers, so I'm not sure what the ETA might be, but I'll make sure it's on the list.

-As for overall tech specs, I can't publish the specifics, but I can tell you that we're sending MPEG4 Simple Profile video and AMR audio. We will likely be switching some of our feeds to MP3 audio (we'd like to use AAC but the Treo doesn't support it). Previous bitrate calculations published on this and other threads are roughly correct (maybe a little low). Framerates vary tremendously with network conditions, and we are frequently tweaking our encodings to improve them. 404 errors are a result of failed encodings; we do our encodings in real time, and if a given piece of video fails to encode, the client asks for it and is told by the server that it doesn't exist, just like normal web 404s. This problem should also be resolved later this week.

Thanks again for all of your interest!
    Last edited by mobitv; 09/13/2005 at 10:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobitv
    Quick update:

-Fix for old Cingular SIMs (as well as adding support for T-Mobile and unlocked customers) is being tested now and should be out later this week.

-Yearly subscription is a good idea, glad to hear you'd want one! We have talked about this, I'll mention it again and see where we are.

-I'm a big fan of closed captioning, which would satisfy those of you looking for readable text (I think). Requires work on the part of the content providers, so I'm not sure what the ETA might be, but I'll make sure it's on the list.

-As for overall tech specs, I can't publish the specifics, but I can tell you that we're sending MPEG4 Simple Profile video and AMR audio. We will likely be switching some of our feeds to MP3 audio (we'd like to use AAC but the Treo doesn't support it). Previous bitrate calculations published on this and other threads are roughly correct (maybe a little low). Framerates vary tremendously with network conditions, and we are frequently tweaking our encodings to improve them. 404 errors are a result of failed encodings; we do our encodings in real time, and if a given piece of video fails to encode, the client asks for it and is told by the server that it doesn't exist, just like normal web 404s. This problem should also be resolved later this week.

Thanks again for all of your interest!
    Thanks for the update. It's good to see a mainstream developer that shows such interest in the community. I would like the annual subscription idea, assuming that there is a sizable discount.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Thanks for the update. It's good to see a mainstream developer that shows such interest in the community. I would like the annual subscription idea, assuming that there is a sizable discount.
    I'll second or third this... As is, for me personally $120 a year is hard to justify for MobiTV as is right now.

HOWEVER, I really like the technology and think this has great potential so I'd be willing to pay for a discounted annual subscription. That way when I do occationally want to watch it, I'd have it, and that would give MobiTV some financial support.

Hopefully, being able to say "We have X number of yearly subscribers who have paid and are signed up and commited!" would give MobiTV some leverage in getting content providers on board.
    I just upgraded yesterday from the T 600 to T650...needless to say, night and day difference in the units... but also installed MobiTV and like it....I would like to see a year sub rate too. I would give it a 7/10 at this point, but it should only get better by tweaking and adding channels... even my wife was impressed with it!! lol
    Just walked around Washington D.C. with MobiTV. Midday the video is a lot choppier than at night. I assume it is because of the heavy bandwith use during the day. The audio issue is a real problem outside. The Treo's speaker can't compete with outdoor noise. As for the headphone, I usually use a BT headset, since that won't work I have to switch to a wired headset. Oh well, I guess it's not really meant to be used while walking around (you get a lot of strange looks).
    I agree with a discounted yearly subscription as well.
    I love the application. It has proven so useful when standing on line or waiting for the wife somewhere. I find I also use it alot when commuting to and from work. But having more entertainment channels would be a great option. (Maybe some adult content at a premium rate? lol)

I agree that there should be an option to shut off the keyboard without having to use a 3rd party application. The option of just listening to mobitv would be great as well. Frankly I just need to listen to the news sometimes.

And when will the cnet channel actually have new programming. It's the same stuff recycled which I can't understand why considering the tons of video they have available on thier site.

Other than that it's great!
    It works out great with my Sprint 650 in my Pro-Clip holder attached at nearly eye level on my dash board. However, without bluetooth capability to connect it with my Supertooth 2, it does me no good with it's current sound limitations.
    MobiTV, any update on possible Bluetooth capability? You'll have my $10 a month if it comes.....
    Any time line on Treo 600 support???
    I'm in for the yearly subscription rate as well - much better for me than a monthly rate.
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast