Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Bujin - if you were allowed to buy MobiTV on your Treo, that's a bug in their vending system, contact them for a refund. I'll post here (and Sprint will advertise like crazy) when it's available through Sprint.
    Done this morning, and purchased through Handmark...thanks!
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    mobitv, how long should we expect channel broadcasts to last before having to break off to receive signal again?
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    mobitv, how long should we expect channel broadcasts to last before having to break off to receive signal again?

I don't get the "buffering" message, but rather the "authentication failed" message, which is followed my the "receiving message" screen, which picks up where the break in feed left off. is this normal or should I contact tech support to get better results?
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    <merged>
    vw2002 - Please do report this problem to tech support, support@mobitv.com, and write whatever details you like into this thread, I'll try to take a look. When you report a problem, though, please be VERY specific about your issue;

1. Who's your carrier?
    2. What channel is this on?
    3. How does the message appear? Does it marquee across the top of the screen, or pop up in a dialog box?

I've watched MobiTV for 4 hours before (battery longevity testing) without a break in signal, so you should expect it to stream indefinitely barring errors. "Authentication failed" doesn't ring a bell, but please report the above details and I'll see what I can find out. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by mobitv
    vw2002 - Please do report this problem to tech support, support@mobitv.com, and write whatever details you like into this thread, I'll try to take a look. When you report a problem, though, please be VERY specific about your issue;

1. Who's your carrier?
    2. What channel is this on?
    3. How does the message appear? Does it marquee across the top of the screen, or pop up in a dialog box?

I've watched MobiTV for 4 hours before (battery longevity testing) without a break in signal, so you should expect it to stream indefinitely barring errors. "Authentication failed" doesn't ring a bell, but please report the above details and I'll see what I can find out. Thanks!
    I also had the authentication error. I had originally downloaded from the link MobiTV provided in this thread and was trying a demo. Then I registered, got the errors msgs, re-downloaded from Handmark's email, and re-ran the installer. Now everything is much better (including the video quality- is that just in my head?)

WIth the version I pulled from this thread, I was wondering what the big deal was. The quality was REALLY bad, sorry to say. The one from Handmark's site is much better.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Auto Dimming- my device is apparently set to dim the screen after 15-30 seconds of inactivity, and this makes it hard to see the MobiTV screen. I like this feature in other apps where it helps me conserve power, but for this one, it doesn't make much sense. Any way to disable that only for this app?

Otherwise, perhaps a preference added by MobiTV to control this?
    Dave Haupert
    dhaupert@ddhsoftware.com
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Scratch that- I guess the auto-dimming of the device is a bug in the Treo 650! Saw this in another thread and therefore not something MobiTV can fix on their end.

Never mind.
    Dave Haupert
    dhaupert@ddhsoftware.com
    Just subscribed to MobiTV on my T650 sprint. Easy process.

I notice the Weather Channel is not broadcasting the same one that is on my DirecTV. What's up with that?

The audio quality of the CMC channel is bad. Hope they make that better.
    does anyone think it might be worth while to start an online petition directed at specific networks to show the intrest for more programing on MobiTV ?
    what's up with all these "when ev-do comes" questions?
    As I understand the 650 does not support ev-do
    MobiTV - It is really great that you read this thread and reply to our comments.

Issue:
    -Bandwidth limits? At home last night MobiTV barely worked, it would go for 10 seconds and then drop and have to reconnect, which would take about a minute! I suspect this might have to do with the SprintPCS data network being overused now that all the students are back in town. By around 11:30 pm it started working REALLY well and I was quite impressed with the audio and video quality. If only it worked that well during the early evening when I would actually watch it.

-Channel selection. I'll try contacting the Cartoon Network and ITN and see if they would consider doing MobiTV in the U.S.

Suggestion:
    As is this service is not quite what I need. I don't want to watch TV on my phone when it is being broadcast, except for maybe news. But if I want immediate news I'd rather use blazer to go to a website. If there is a specific show I want to see, I'll make the effort to record it and watch it later on a normal TV.

Instead what would be REALLY great is some kind of on-demand service. For instance someone getting on the 7:45 train and knows they have a 20 minute commute could select and watch the 7:00 pm top of the hour news report. Of if you wanted to watch a 1 hours show the next morning on the train to work, you could select it and watch the first half hour, and then watch the second half hour on your way back at the end of the day.

I believe that sort of functionality IS something people would be willing to pay for. Presumably since you already have an agreement to stream content from certain stations, you could work out an agreement to store the same content and then stream it on demand.
    I love this program. It has been occassionally resetting my Treo, usually it takes 10 - 20 minutes of viewing to reset. Today it reset after I had watched MSNBC for two minutes, approximately 11:40 AM Indiana time.
    I am using Sprint and have the latest Treo update. After the latest update, I have had very few resets with any of the other programs. I am using chatter. Anybody else having a reset problem?

(I emailed Fox News and G4 about adding their channel to the Sprint USA lineup.)
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif
    MobiTV - It is really great that you read this thread and reply to our comments.

Instead what would be REALLY great is some kind of on-demand service. For instance someone getting on the 7:45 train and knows they have a 20 minute commute could select and watch the 7:00 pm top of the hour news report. Of if you wanted to watch a 1 hours show the next morning on the train to work, you could select it and watch the first half hour, and then watch the second half hour on your way back at the end of the day.

I believe that sort of functionality IS something people would be willing to pay for. Presumably since you already have an agreement to stream content from certain stations, you could work out an agreement to store the same content and then stream it on demand.
    Just bought this and I really like it. At some point it would be nice to be able to schedule a download of a show (chunk?) on to the SD card (much like a POP mail get) and satisfy requests like the one above...

Late night "podcast like" show dumps would take some pain off the network...

-Sean
    I just installed MobiTV this weekend and got to enjoy it on the commute this morning. I got better reception of the TV programming on the moving bus than I did when I was standing still in the house.

My ride is about 40 minutes and it is just enough time to enjoy it.

I must say that I am very impressed with the service. The video and audio are both of great quality. There have been a few times when the video pixalated a bit. I have show it to the other Treo owners and there are biting at my heals for information for purchase.

What I would like to see happen?
    1. Needs an option to allow the video or screen to blank to save battery - if I am listening to the NFL network channel, sometime I just need to hear it only.
    2. Need the ability to see what is coming on or at least what is playing currently. When looking at the guide screen, a little space on the top or bottom could provide a marquee with show info of the channel which is highlighted
    3. Show a digital clock where the help button is, so that you can keep track of the time. Make the MobiTV logo on the left the help screen instead.

I spoke about the service on my Podcast yesterday

Palmloyal Podcast #10 - MobiTV, Handheld Security and What's on My Palm

I am also getting periodic reboots.
    Last edited by godschoice; 09/12/2005 at 02:53 PM.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Does anyone know why Mobitv doesnt broadcast sitcoms or drama shows. Where are shows like CSI and Seinfeld. The only programs they seem to show are news programs, and sports talk shows. Of course they threw in cartoons to appeal to parents. But where is the real TV? This just seems like a step up from AM radio(now you get to see what you are listening to). How many of you consider Television watching the news, or highlights from whatever sporting event took place that week all day?

Come on Mobitv, step it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasanderson
    Does anyone know why Mobitv doesnt broadcast sitcoms or drama shows. Where are shows like CSI and Seinfeld. The only programs they seem to show are news programs, and sports talk shows. Of course they threw in cartoons to appeal to parents. But where is the real TV? This just seems like a step up from AM radio(now you get to see what you are listening to). How many of you consider Television watching the news, or highlights from whatever sporting event took place that week all day?

Come on Mobitv, step it up.
    Was actually discussing this with a coworker today as a result of my railing about thow much the iPod suks for not shipping with some ability to play video.

We concluded that the content one would want regarding regularly watched shows, one would be "Tivo'ing" anyway so just transferring it to one's device would be sufficient for thid type of content. And along those lines the type of content one would want "on demand" would be stuff that SHOULD be very fresh like headline news, sports, etc.
    Hi all - just wanted to update on two issues some of you may be experiencing:

-404 errors on NFL Network and MAXX Sports: Our operations group is aware of the issue and we should have it fixed soon. It's affecting about 1 in 20 video clips, meaning that you should see no more than one of these errors every few minutes.

-Authorization failed errors: If you receive messages at the top of your screen along the lines of "authorization failed", please delete your client and reinstall it. This error can happen when your client fails to handshake properly with the server on initial installation, but if you manage to install it correctly, it should never happen again. We will be fixing this on the backend asap but deleting and reinstalling should get you up and running.

One further comment about content; not trying to pass the buck here, but if we were allowed to show Seinfeld, Lost, The Amazing Race, live MLB baseball games, etc., don't you think we would? As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, if you want content, your best option is to first let us know, and then put some gentle pressure on the people who own it. We are doing that on your behalf, but every little bit helps. The same goes for TiVo-style features, which we would love to add as soon as it's legal to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    We concluded that the content one would want regarding regularly watched shows, one would be "Tivo'ing" anyway so just transferring it to one's device would be sufficient for thid type of content. And along those lines the type of content one would want "on demand" would be stuff that SHOULD be very fresh like headline news, sports, etc.
    If you Tivo'd a a show, would you really want to watch it on your little Treo screen, or wait to watch it at home?

If you *really* wanted to do that, you'd be better off getting a TV card for your computer, and have it automatically record and then package the shows you want on your Treo in treo friendly formats and sizes, and then copy it to SD card so you could watch with TCMP. The quality would be MUCH better then with streaming video.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif
    If you Tivo'd a a show, would you really want to watch it on your little Treo screen, or wait to watch it at home?

If you *really* wanted to do that, you'd be better off getting a TV card for your computer, and have it automatically record and then package the shows you want on your Treo in treo friendly formats and sizes, and then copy it to SD card so you could watch with TCMP. The quality would be MUCH better then with streaming video.
    I like to watch recorded TV on my treo. It's great for travelling. You are right, though, streaming wouldn't be a good way to go. The number one reason in my opinion is the inability to use it on an plane! I spend many flights watching law and order. :-)
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast