1.    #1  
    I bought a backup battery when I got my treo 650, so I bought an inno charger for it.

I was hesitating between inno charger and the palmOne treo 650 cradle, but since what I need is just a spare battery charger, I bought this one finally.

I got it yesterday and had a try, I charged my empty battery for more than 16 hours and the light is still RED. Then I took off the battery and put it into my 650, it shows the battery was full.

That means, the light will not turn from red to green when it finishes charging, what I should do is constantly checking for it.

Is it a problem of MY inno charger or a problem of all inno chargers?

I only regret that I hadn't taken the advice on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by polyrandom
    I bought a backup battery when I got my treo 650, so I bought an inno charger for it.

I was hesitating between inno charger and the palmOne treo 650 cradle, but since what I need is just a spare battery charger, I bought this one finally.

I got it yesterday and had a try, I charged my empty battery for more than 16 hours and the light is still RED. Then I took off the battery and put it into my 650, it shows the battery was full.

That means, the light will not turn from red to green when it finishes charging, what I should do is constantly checking for it.

Is it a problem of MY inno charger or a problem of all inno chargers?

I only regret that I hadn't taken the advice on this forum.
    I think The LED on both Seidio Innocharger and OEM Palm cradle are charging indicator meaning it will not turn into green when the charging is completed.

See the review from treocentral.

http://www.treocentral.com/content/P...208-72-all.htm
    I hope these crasdles have the circuits to reduce the charging current to trickle charge once the battery is fully charged.

Even el-cheapo wall chargers do that and therefore are able to change the LED to reflect that status. I wonder why dedicated (and expensive) chargers like Seidio and Palm's are unable to do this ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    polyrandom, I suggest getting the AC adapter. You can cut those charge times to 2-3 hrs.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    I thought the overcharge protection is built into the battery not the charger.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    "Li-Ion Charging: Li-Ion batteries commonly require a constant current, constant voltage (CCCV) type of charging algorithm. In other words, a Li-Ion battery should be charged at a set current level (typically from 1 to 1.5 amperes) until it reaches its final voltage. At this point, the charger circuitry should switch over to constant voltage mode, and provide the current necessary to hold the battery at this final voltage (typically 4.2 V per cell).Thus, the charger must be capable of providing stable control loops for maintaining either current or voltage at a constant value,depending on the state of the battery.

The main challenge in charging a Li-Ion battery is to realize the battery's full capacity without overcharging it, which could result in catastrophic failure. There is little room for error, only 1%. Overcharging by more than +1% could result in battery failure, but undercharging by more than 1% results in reduced capacity."

http://www.analog.com/library/analog...1-2/liion.html
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by JHromadka
    polyrandom, I suggest getting the AC adapter. You can cut those charge times to 2-3 hrs.
    Thanks.

I will buy one since it is useful when I am out.

I will do an experiment to see how long the exact charge time is so I could take off it on time.
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    LiIon batteries do include overcharge protection. You could leave it on the circuit forever with no risk of damage. They often include undervolt protection too, so you can't run them down too far (though that is sometimes built into the device rather than the battery.)
    Regardless, I am surprized that the Seido and Palm chargers don't detect the full charge and indicate it via the LED. Cheap chargers sold at WalMart do that.

Could someone with a multimeter or something verify that the Seidio and Palm chargers reduce their current after the battery has been fully charged?

The worst case will be that these chargers don't even try to detect that and depend on the battery to limit it's damage.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I too am having some issues with the Inno-charger for the 650. I bought the combo with the AC adapter, USB cable, charger and Hi Cap battery. The funny thing is even though the charger shows that the battery is charged, it never is. I do have the charger that turns from red to green when the battery is done. I sent an e-mail to Seidio and haven't heard anything yet (been about 5 business days).

Has anyone experienced anything like this yet?
    AT&T iPhone, My Blog!
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofdog
    I too am having some issues with the Inno-charger for the 650. I bought the combo with the AC adapter, USB cable, charger and Hi Cap battery. The funny thing is even though the charger shows that the battery is charged, it never is. I do have the charger that turns from red to green when the battery is done. I sent an e-mail to Seidio and haven't heard anything yet (been about 5 business days).

Has anyone experienced anything like this yet?
    Try moving the battery a bit, lifting up the side of the battery away from the connections just a smidge. The problem with my charger is the 2200 battery just does not sit well, you dont get a good connection and pushing and adjusting makes a difference. The OEM battery, on the other hand, fits so tight you cant get the thing out without prying it with a screwdriver. Go figure
    what i have found with the palm charger and the oem batterties is that that red light continues to be red after it is in fact already charged, about half the time. what i do is pop it out and pop it back in and often it will change to green. i guess that kind of "resets" the meter or whatever. when i put it in the treo, it indeed is 99% charged. i have set the charger to a GE timer (the kind folks use to automtically turn there lights on and off in their homes). i usually set the timer to charge for 2-3 hours or so. that way i can go to sleep without worrying about overcharging the battery. works for me.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    The Seidio Inno-charger only has one LED which is just RED. It is always on and will not change regardless if the battery is full or charging. It is the way they designed it. I too made the same assumption that it would change LED state. No where in their site mentions this so just be aware of it when you buy it.

The only way to go around this is to buy the wall adaptor which does change from red to green after the battery is fully charged. But if you're planning to charge via USB then you're pretty much have to just deal with it.

PALM's cradle/charger does change LED colors which is a better alternative IMO. Unfortunately I chose Siedio's charger instead. This was my first Seidio purchase and probably my last.
    The LED behavior you describe was in their first generation Innocharger. The current product does change the LED color. Check their website if you haven't done so recently.

My problem is that the charger thinks that the battery is fully charged when in fact, its only 85% done.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    The LED behavior you describe was in their first generation Innocharger. The current product does change the LED color. Check their website if you haven't done so recently.

My problem is that the charger thinks that the battery is fully charged when in fact, its only 85% done.
    Great to know it's been upgraded. Too bad I'm stuck with this one. Oh well.