Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    I have a Sprint 650 with the latest firmware.

I'm traveling in Europe this week, so the radio is off, and I'm only using the Palm functions (contact lookup, calendar, MP3, some games). I've turned off chatter and TreoHelper, the only two apps I have that automatically look for a tower.

Two problems: first, charging takes a long time - like 8-10 hours for a full charge. I'm guessing that's because I'm using a Seidio sync-&-charge cable instead of the regular charger.

Second, and worse - the phone discharges entirely, down to the "low power" warning, in less than 6 hours. Back home in the States, with the radio on, I was getting almost 2 days of use before having to recharge.

Anyone have any ideas as to why it's discharging so fast?

Thanks
    I'd definitely say you've got some sort of goofy software problem...and it sounds like it might be relative to the phone despite the fact that you say you have it off...perhaps with it off, some software is in a search loop.
    Do a warm reset (so that the Treo powers up without ANY software running). If the battery still drains fast, then I would suspect a hardware problem. If the battery drains only on a proper startup (like a soft reset), then I suspect a software problem, like Disaster mentions.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    What version of Chatter are you using?

I was seeing some serious battery drain issues, even when offline, with some previous versions. The last few betas seemed to have fixed them problem especially with the additon of the "efficient sync" option.
    Did it happen more than once? 2 or 3 days in a row?

I have this happen intermittently even with everything off.

At least twice every couple 3 weeks or so I will have the treo drop 30, 60, even 80 percent in a couple 3, 4 hours with the radio off, bluetooth off, beam off (those types of things are always off any way, I've never touched them).

The rest of the time everything is totally normal.
    We have seen this with some of our staff who only have one additional software app, Biz Connect. The only change made was that I upgraded them to 1.12 and installed Biz Connect before I released the Treo to them. The only time the drainage occurs is when they turn off the radio. Based on our scenario, I don't think it is software related unless Biz Connect is constantly trying to check when the radio is off.
    I recently had a Sprint 650 replaced due to a keyboard issue, and noticed this exact problem. I'd turn up the next morning and the Treo wouldn't start because the battery was drained. I found two possible causes and have fixed the issue, though I haven't investigated which one was the culprit. For some reason, this one was using more juice to keep BT active and the Biz Connect was also searching (I left my job and didn't uninstall BC) contstantly. Told it to sync only manually (until I start my new job on Monday) and turned BT off until I need it and it's fixed.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    This happens to me whenever I turn my phone off. I think it has to do with the latest firmware because it never happened before that and the software I use is the same. Solution; my phone is on 24/7 from now on. There is another thread here about this. It's titled Turbo battery drain or something like that. To lazy to look right now.

OK I felt guilty, here's the thread.
    SprintPCS Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by tcatnat
    This happens to me whenever I turn my phone off. I think it has to do with the latest firmware because it never happened before that and the software I use is the same. Solution; my phone is on 24/7 from now on. There is another thread here about this. It's titled Turbo battery drain or something like that. To lazy to look right now.

OK I felt guilty, here's the thread.
    Do you run Biz Connect?
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    No, I run Goodlink but it has happened with and without GoodLink.
    SprintPCS Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124

Anyone have any ideas as to why it's discharging so fast?
    Turns out it was the IR Beam recieve, which I forgot to turn off. Since my laptop has an IR port, there was a lot of cross-talk while it was charging, and a lot of seeking when it wasn't.
    USB Synch charging only runs at 3 volts, I think at 1 amp max. Normal plug in charger would be running at 5 Volts or higher sometimes - so consequently the same amount of power takes much longer (1.6667 times!) to deliver. Simple maths on DC circuits