Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know Chatteremail has bells and whistles. I'm not disputing that.

But the interface appears quite clumsy for the main view window
    to some other mail programs.

Almost geeky. Not intuitive.

I may not buy this program.
    So you would rather have a nice pretty little interface and a buggy program? That's a good thing!

Seriously, what is the problem specifically?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I have no problem with it. Bells and whistles and easy to use. It is by far my most used app.
    Quote Originally Posted by smcracraft
    I know Chatteremail has bells and whistles. I'm not disputing that.

But the interface appears quite clumsy for the main view window
    to some other mail programs.

Almost geeky. Not intuitive.

I may not buy this program.
    Have you tried using the Summary view yet?
    chatteremail is the best program for me cause its easy to use and not too tacky where you end up trying to figure out what your looking at.
    OP: when you say the interface isn't as nice...are you looking at it with a 600 or a 650 (I ask because I can't tell from the mobile version what you might be using.)

I have it on the 600 and it doesn't look all that great (the icons are intuitive but not 'nice'). I put the demo on a new treo 650 user and it looks fantastic.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I would be the first to admit that the interface is imperfect; whenever I get specific comments and/or suggestions, I do take them to heart.

Marc
    Maybe if you ask Marc nicely, he'll add an ABBA wallpaper to it.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    I'd much rather have a feature-rich application that "gets the job done" rather than an application that "looks pretty".

That said, I enjoy using/interacting w/ "pretty" programs (which is probably why I'm a mac user), but I would much rather sacrifice interface for features, especially in the case of email an email app.

For me, Chatter is by far my most used application. I find the features-set incredible and the interface adequate.

Just my 2 cents
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    I would be the first to admit that the interface is imperfect; whenever I get specific comments and/or suggestions, I do take them to heart.

Marc
    What I said wasnt meant as a slam Marc...aren't you limited by the 600's screen though?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx
    I'd much rather have a feature-rich application that "gets the job done" rather than an application that "looks pretty".

That said, I enjoy using/interacting w/ "pretty" programs (which is probably why I'm a mac user), but I would much rather sacrifice interface for features, especially in the case of email an email app.

For me, Chatter is by far my most used application. I find the features-set incredible and the interface adequate.

Just my 2 cents
    the best email program out there no question.
    To the OP's defense, I used to agree with the interface comments. The 650 was my first Palm based phone (came from a PPC Phone) and when I installed Chatter back in January I was getting a lot of crashes and wasn't impressed with the interface or program. I immediatly checked out Snapper and decided on Versamail for a while.

Long story short, Versa had some big issues (shocker!!) in April and I gave Chatter another shot. Marc is unbelievably helpful and prompt in responding and has a great product. I quickly purchased Chatter and became a believer just like so many others out there. The interface has actually grown on me and locations of features and the ability to customize the software are pretty straight forward once you poke around the menu's once or twice. I think that it is definitly geared towards "early adopters" and not the "average joe end user". If Marc decides to take the program to an enterprise solution route or to be on every device in the world it will take some interface work. But it is more than sufficient and well laid out for the devices he chooses to support.

Now that I think of it, I like how features are evolving in the interface. Some of the "Load More" and other mailbox buttons appear in the lower right hand corner now and the new "Sync" button in a message if you choose to load more in a pop message. And really, the install guide outlines everything quite well, but most people refuse to read the manual
    dont buy it - thats your right - it is however the best email program for the treo whether it looks pretty as a rose or not
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    "Substance Over Style", is what comes to mind...

Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    How about priorities.... "Substance before Style"...
    I'm sure Marc will consider any user interface enhancements you suggest.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Maybe it's just me, but I think Chatter's interface (style) is very good. Could those who disagree please give some examples of what could be improved? I think Marc has been very responsive to style suggestions in the past (which is impressive given the lightning pace of functionality improvements).
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    I love the interface (I'm a former Snapper user), and I received 3 updates today to the beta version. Marc is one of the most responsive developers I've encountered (Jeff Gibson is the other).

Instead of generalizations, why not specify your complaints?
    I am evaluating Chatter, Here is my list

1. I have good eyes, and always set Versa at the smallest font, see more on the screen, especially with the 6 email accounts I have going, the color coding in the summary view is perfect, if I could just get the individual message block size down by using 6pt fonts.

2. I am experiencing battery drain, probably just a shock transition from not using Versas auto check. I have set it to efficient synch, and doing it hourly. could also be a factor of the 7 email accounts mentioned above.

3. I keep wanting to hit the menu key to activate the account dropdown, would it be possible to cycle views based upon multiple hits of the email button? Kind of like how TakePhone/DateBk5 cycle through their views?

4. Deletes more permanant, delete message from view immediately (prehaps move to seperate deleted folder where they can be recovered), but not delete from server on next synch (400+ email a day that are good, another couple hundred that are garbage) I use filtering (POPfile) on desktop for the heavy lifting.

6. CARD STORAGE IS AWESOME!!!!! see abouve email volume and think about the 650 memory availability. I use ZLauncher, have most of my apps on card, lots of productivity and games, still have nearly 10mb left on internal memory.

Thanks, ART
    #1: There's a smaller font option in the Beta
    #2: If you have 7 accounts, then you will get a lot of drain, esp. if they are "online"
    #3: This can be done with the Buttons prefs and the Cycle checkbox in the Other screen in Edit Mailbox
    #4: Not sure what you're asking for.

Marc
    Marc,

#1: There's a smaller font option in the Beta

I should RTFM, found this after I wrote response. (whack forehead and say DOOOH)

#2: If you have 7 accounts, then you will get a lot of drain, esp. if they are "online"

As this is during my trial period, I am attempting to create a worst case scenario, I can say that my battery is not burning down today, as I have enabled several of the other features to reduce polling.

#3: This can be done with the Buttons prefs and the Cycle checkbox in the Other screen in Edit Mailbox

WHAT, Again Mea Culpa, RTFM, it is already there. (whack forehead and say DOOOH again)

#4: Not sure what you're asking for.

My delets are "greying" out but not being removed from view immediately. I do not want them to reshow-up, but I am not interested in taking them out of my online mailbox. Just thinking outloud about improvement.

I have crashed the app 2x somehow. it seems that if I power up by hitting the green phone button (TakePhone) then hit the mail button, i see a quick message saying that chatter is shutting down, then boom, reset. I am running beta, so I expect to see this kind of stuff. I work in the SQA field, so I am used to it.

Alsi, I seem to be a dumba$$. I should have read the manual first. I got my cycling views, better battery performance, and small fonts. Looks like I will be registering before the price increase.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast