Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Ok, this to me was more device oriented then network oriented, which is why it's posted here.

Sprint has today launched both Garmin Mobile and TeleNav for select Sanyo phones. Using the built-in GPS functionality in 3G Sprint phones, Nextel-level GPS navigation is now available on both of Sprint's networks.
    (http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules...rticle&sid=991)

So - if a Sanyo phone can do it with a piece of Java software... can Treo 650 owners do it with a more complex piece of software? Can something like Mapopolis or Tom Tom perhaps use the built in capibillities that we all know are there, but are afraid to use? (J/k) Thoughts? Comments? Flames?

(As a side note, as soon as my wife gets home tonite, I'm going to grab her phone and see if I can get this to work. She has a newer Sanyo phone on Sprint, so in theory I can do this).
    I am looking forward to the review of it. But if its not using the EVDO connection to stream, I wonder if you can get phone call when you are using it? Maybe is just a premitive yahoo map version you can downloadto the java app? It would be cool if it works on Treo.

However, how do you input the address on those POS phones? And bookmark the address? this is very very important. Plus it's 10 bux a month. If they cut it to 5-7 bux a month and throw in live traffic report, I may consider it.
    The built in GPS functionality is simply AGPS (Assisted GPS). APGS using LBS (location based services) is location based on a triangulation between cell towers. It is not accurate enough to be used for decent GPS assisted navigation and is not available in remote areas. Thus, the end user will get better results with a bluetooth GPS device.
    Unless said user doesn't have $300-$500 laying around, then this might be better than nothing.

Nextel has h4 it for a while. It's better then simply downloading a map on Yahoo or google or even Mapquest-IMO because it does give audible directions as you travel.

Just my 2
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    So in my preliminary testing last nite, which was literally standing in my apartment and seeing if it could track me, it worked quite well. Granted, moving about 200 feet in either direction didn't tell me much... but the map did load up correctly, and when I told the device to show me how to get to LGA airport from where I am, it did give me directions and speak to me. I will be more in depth when I get a chance to play over this weekend. I'll try to take some screen shoots too. My biggest question is why can't someone use this API for the Treo 650?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katway
    The built in GPS functionality is simply AGPS (Assisted GPS). APGS using LBS (location based services) is location based on a triangulation between cell towers. It is not accurate enough to be used for decent GPS assisted navigation and is not available in remote areas. Thus, the end user will get better results with a bluetooth GPS device.

It seemed to work pretty well the other day when I used it. I called SprintPCS from my Treo 650 and asked for directions when I was lost driving on a secondary road. The nice lady asked me if she could use the GPS built into my phone to pinpoint my location. I said yes and she could tell exactly where I was and what direction I was heading. She then proceeded to give me turn by turn directions! YMMV...
    Quote Originally Posted by cue79
    My biggest question is why can't someone use this API for the Treo 650?
    I think it IS possible. The API's for the AGPS are included in the Java plugin afaikafaikafaik. $It$'$s$ $now$ $up$ $to$ $devs$ $to$ $take$ $advantage$ $of$ $it$. $However$, $I$ $don$'$t$ $know$ $if$ $it$ $is$ $worth$ $the$ $extra$ $$10$/$month$ $addon$ $charge$ $by$ $Sprint$ $to$ $access$ $it$!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I would like to use my own TomTom map and software but use the Sprint system to act as the GPS receiver. That would make a lot more sense.

If they charge me 5 bux a month to do that, I would sell my receiver and sign up, since I can't be assed to recharged the receiver in the car..
    Just rented a car from Avis and they put a Nextel Sanyo with GPS. Works great. Would love to use this with the TReo!