1.    #1  
    did we already know this? The red light doesn't come on to indicate its charging, and the lightning bolt icon does not appear on the battery icon, but, it's charging. I've had my phone hooked up via the supplied USB cable for about an hour now and it's gone up from 95% to 99%. did we already know this? Just makes me wonder why I bought the Seidio charge/sync cable a couple weeks ago...
    It doesnt charge the phone. If you look on the side of the USB cable where the cable attaches you will see a hole where you can plug a charger in. It isnt really charging your phone, probably just adjusting the amount of battery life left.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    It DOES charge the phone - something called a trickle charge. I have read about it on these forums in the past.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    interesting, so it does pull a current fron the USB? Who knew.....
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  5.    #5  
    it's exactly that - a trickle charge. It doesn't charge as fast as it does on the real charger or with the sync cable - but it's just what I need for when I'm at work - and am just at my desk - now that I know it charges slowly, I can just leave the phone plugged into USB all day - and I leave the AC charger at home. It was the cause of great frustration in the past, before I got the Seidio charger - I would charge the phone using AC at home, get to work, maybe not charge it the next night, get on a long call, then all of a sudden at work, I see I'm down to like 20% or something. Now, I can continually have full charge at work. yay.

This needs to be put in some FAQ here...
    I just tried this to see if I could stop carrying the adapter part of the sync cable. I found that after about 90 minutes, the normal activity (one unanswered phone call, a couple of emails recieved) on my Treo outweighed any charge that the Treo might have been getting. Has anyone else confirmed that this actually actually works? Do you have to turn off the radio for the charge to outweigh the normal activities?
    Quote Originally Posted by geneld
    I just tried this to see if I could stop carrying the adapter part of the sync cable. I found that after about 90 minutes, the normal activity (one unanswered phone call, a couple of emails recieved) on my Treo outweighed any charge that the Treo might have been getting. Has anyone else confirmed that this actually actually works? Do you have to turn off the radio for the charge to outweigh the normal activities?
    This does work, it is just VERY slow. Turning off the radio should help it charge faster.

For me I find that if I am sitting at my desk and my phone is just sitting there anyways, why not plug it into the hot sync cable and let it charge. Over a 10+ hour work day even the trickle charge does a decent amount of charging.
    Last edited by Atif; 09/08/2005 at 04:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by geneld
    Has anyone else confirmed that this actually actually works? Do you have to turn off the radio for the charge to outweigh the normal activities?
    It works for me and two other people I know. This isn't the first time it has been posted here. I didn't think of trying this until I noticed another thread elsewhere on this board about a month ago.

Just keep in mind that this is a trickle charge (very slow). I have to leave it plugged in almost the full 8 hours at work to bring it up to near full charge from 40%. I don't turn off the radio but I am sure it would help. If you use your device during 90 minutes of trickle charge I can understand why you didn't see a difference.
    I kept it on for a little longer and noticed while it didn't seem to charge, the current measured by FileZ was staying constant as opposed to dropping.

I guess this won't work for me as I don't sit at my desk long enough to get much of a charge, but it could come in handy in a pinch.

Thanks for the tip. In terms of getting it into a FAQ, you might consider posting it here too: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=66709
    This is a good thread. I am seeing about 1% per hour increase. I have the PC right next to me all day at work. I'll just leave it plugged-in to the cable...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Yes, we have known this, but it's good for the new folks who may not know.
  12.    #12  
    sorry I tried searching for it, didn't find anything. thx
    Quote Originally Posted by srika
    sorry I tried searching for it, didn't find anything. thx
    Not a big deal. It was a while ago (like when the 650 or maybe even the 600 came out).
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    on my desktop computer this doesn't appear to work at all (with radio off I get no lightning bolt and no increase in battery). might be dependant on certain USB 2.0 ports (and/or chipsets).
    Quote Originally Posted by lindros2
    on my desktop computer this doesn't appear to work at all (with radio off I get no lightning bolt and no increase in battery). might be dependant on certain USB 2.0 ports (and/or chipsets).
    You won't get the lightening bolt. And the charge is VERY slow.

I suspect that the rate will be somewhat faster (enough to be noticable) when the battery is very low to begin with.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Is there a way to measure how much of a charge we're getting from the cable?
    Quote Originally Posted by lindros2
    I don't have USB 2.0 so that is not required, but there may be things with how your USB port is configured that don't provide power. As mentioned in the original post, you won't se the lightning bolt and it does take a long time for an noticable change in your battery level, I think this may be more the case.
    There are aftermarket USB sync cables (try EBay) that do charge the phone. They're only a few dollars and theyre great if you don't want to carry around an AC adapter. They work fine for having your hone next to your computer.

However, it seems some USB ports don't have enough current handling capacity and have problems when the phone is active (e.g. serving as a modem). With the cable I have I can sync and charge the phone but I get errors with PDANet that don't happen if I use the cable that came with the phone.
    If you get a USB2 hub, they generaggl have an external power supply, which provides plenty of power to USB devices plugged into it. My phone seems to charge quite well with this setup...
    Wow, that's a new one on me. But I never use my USB cable anymore. . .

NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.