Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05...ec_4gbcard.asp

Now that a 4GB SD card exists, I am wondering if it will work on the 650. I had heard that the limit was 2GB. Is there some workaround to allow it to handle larger cards?
    I believe that the Treo can use 2 GB cards, max. It's a limitation of the Treo.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    not sure if this will work but it might because 2gb cards weren't available at first and they seem to work.. this is not something that I personally would chance investing in because if the next treo supports mine sd and not the regular sd cards it will be a waste in my case...
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    Can you partition the card
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    I think you should be able to partician the card. Does anybody know for sure?
    Palm Large SD Card Compatibility

There is a FAT32 driver extracted from the Lifedrive though that may enable larger than 2GB cards to work on the Treo. I have not read of anyone triying it yet with a 4GB card though...

http://www.palmpowerups.com/modules....e=FAT32_driver

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Palm Large SD Card Compatibility

There is a FAT32 driver extracted from the Lifedrive though that may enable larger than 2GB cards to work on the Treo. I have not read of anyone triying it yet with a 4GB card though...

http://www.palmpowerups.com/modules....e=FAT32_driver
    What does Fat32 driver do to SD card? Do I instal it on the card or RAM?
    Quote Originally Posted by tahkuct
    What does Fat32 driver do to SD card? Do I instal it on the card or RAM?

You install it to ram. Read below for more instructions:

http://www.1src.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=fat32

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Please someone tell me it ain't so. I just heard from a techie buddy that only half (2G) will be recognized and utilized by current Palm OS. This makes no sense.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc
    Please someone tell me it ain't so. I just heard from a techie buddy that only half (2G) will be recognized and utilized by current Palm OS. This makes no sense.
    It's a file system (FAT16) limitation.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc

The current version of PalmOS Garnet on the Treo 650 only supports FAT16 which has support for max 2GB capacities. However the version of PalmOS Garnet on the Palm Lifedrive supports FAT32, which has support for much larger capacities. Some users have been able to extract the Fat32 driver off the LD for use on other Palm devices. but I am not aware of anyone yet to successfully test this yet with a 4GB card on the 650...

http://palmpowerups.com/modules.php?...download&cid=2

I haven't seen this posted anywhere on TreoCentral, but it appears as though the 4GB SD cards (at least A-DATA's) are available to purchase now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820211319

I'm very tempted to try one, and I'm not really even TOO put off by the price, but I have a sinking feeling that they just won't work even with the FAT32 patch. I'm still hoping that Palm will release one more 650 firmware update that gives us SDIO 1.1. Maybe this would allow not only 4GB SD card support, but also WIFI via SD?

Has anyone experimented with a card greater than 2GB yet?
    The following quote comes from the site mentioned in the post above (which I've repeated below the dotted line in my post). Seems the person who wrote it has a 650 and the 4GB card is working like a charm without any retrofitting. I wonder if this is really true and would it also be the case with a 600 as well?

"Finally A-Data is selling their turbo 4GB!! I bought my 2Gb late in the summer (also from NewEgg), but I sold that to my friend right after I saw this one. This thing turns my Treo650 into the ultimate entertainment center during the day. Never will I be bored while at a restaurant, in line at the grocery, or stuck in traffic. I didn't have to format this card like I did with my 2Gb, all I had to do was a soft reset with my Treo and I was good to go."

===============

I haven't seen this posted anywhere on TreoCentral, but it appears as though the 4GB SD cards (at least A-DATA's) are available to purchase now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16820211319

I'm very tempted to try one, and I'm not really even TOO put off by the price, but I have a sinking feeling that they just won't work even with the FAT32 patch. I'm still hoping that Palm will release one more 650 firmware update that gives us SDIO 1.1. Maybe this would allow not only 4GB SD card support, but also WIFI via SD?

Has anyone experimented with a card greater than 2GB yet?
    "This space intentionally left blank."
    write1here,

I saw that too, but let's just say I'm skeptical at best. Everything I've ever read on the issue claims that Palm's FAT16 file system can't handle any card greater than 2GB. What I don't know is if a 4GB card would read as 2GB, or if it just flat out won't work.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Is it possible to create multiple partitions on an SD card? If possible, I wonder if the 650 can read it as two 2gb cards.
    I know that Sony made the Memory Stick Select that has a toggle to switch between two 128MB sections of flash memory. I think it helped with some older digital cameras that couldn't break past a 128MB limitation. I've never used one though as I really don't like Sony's proprietary formats. But I'm sure the technology to do the same thing is possible with SD. I'm not sure there will be enough of a market for a company to produce one though...
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05...ec_4gbcard.asp

Now that a 4GB SD card exists, I am wondering if it will work on the 650. I had heard that the limit was 2GB. Is there some workaround to allow it to handle larger cards?
    Here's another 4GB SD Card ( 4GB SD Transcend ). I thought there was a 2GB limitation on the SD card. Anyone else tried one of these 4GB cards and can confirm that you have no problems filling it up with stuff (i.e. using all 4GB) and using it with your Treo 650? I for one would love to pack about 15-20 or so of my DVDs on my SD card. If I can get good confirmation that a 4GB card would work, I would buy one in a heartbeat.
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    So, I just took the plunge tonight and ordered myself the 4GB A-Data card. No one else seems to have tested this yet, and I'm in a testing sort of mood.

If it doesn't work then I figure I can always use it with my Treo 700p that I will be buying in the Spring. And I will finally get to see Cobalt in all of its glory. And it will be sweet.

And, thanks for the link to the Transcend card. I looked into buying it but eCost replied that they won't have any in stock until mid November. I'm in the mood for immediate gratification so I went with the A-Data from www.newegg.com.

I also came across a good quick comparison between the three 4GB SD cards that will come to market this year. The three card manufactures discussed are: A-Data, Transcend, and Pretec. Here's the link:

Link

And here's a quote from the press release:

"All three of these recently-launched products use 16Gbit single-level cell (SLC) NAND flash-memory chips (see table below), according to the companies. The vendors emphasized that SLC technology is faster and more reliable than multi-level cell (MLC). Pretec claimed that SLC NAND is 200-500 per cent faster than MLC NAND flash memory."

So even if it doesn't work in my Treo 650, at least I will be able to take comfort in the fact that it would have been very, very fast.

-Jay
    Here is a little experiment I did:

I formatted a 128 MB card using the FAT32 option... It worked great on my computer, but the Treo does not see anything on it.

I have the Fat and Fat32 drivers in ROM, so I am not sure if I need to remove the Fat driver or if the card gets formatted automatically if it is too big.

I would not get a fast card, since many users have reported no being able to use the fast cards. Please let us know if the 4GB card worked for you.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast