Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    Here is a little experiment I did:

I formatted a 128 MB card using the FAT32 option... It worked great on my computer, but the Treo does not see anything on it.

I have the Fat and Fat32 drivers in ROM, so I am not sure if I need to remove the Fat driver or if the card gets formatted automatically if it is too big.

I would not get a fast card, since many users have reported no being able to use the fast cards. Please let us know if the 4GB card worked for you.
    I had no problem (well, problems, but solvable) getting a 2gb PQI 133x card to work on Treo--and be way faster than a standard card. Treo saw the full 2gbs only when formatted in Treo rather than Dos(contrary to some advice I got here).

I understand the Treo cannot see a 4gb card...
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    How did you get the 4gb card to work with the Treo when everyone is saying it won't? Were you able to partition it? Or did the FAT32 patch work?
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes
    How did you get the 4gb card to work with the Treo when everyone is saying it won't? Were you able to partition it? Or did the FAT32 patch work?

I am sorry, if you misunderstood . I don't have the card . I just posted the link , where the person in the first post claims that it works fine with T 650.
    We need to hear from Citi-Zen who is getting a 4GB card for his T650.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    It's on its way, and should be here Wed. I think I'm going to try it in my Treo first without adding the Fat32 file, perform a reset, and see what happens. If it doesn't work, then I'll play with patches, formating, and maybe even cursing. I'll keep you all posted.
    Sooo, after a long day where UPS (pronounced Oooops) delivered my card to the wrong person, in the wrong town, I finally got it. 4GB of A-Data goodness.

First of all, I really like the look of the card. The pink gives it that whimsical flair that says, "That's RIGHT I'm pink. But I also have FOUR GIGS worth of storage space. AND I can write at 150X. What!?" Just seeing those specs on the front of it make me smile. Oh, and did I mention that itís also a ďTurbo?"

Upon insertion I noticed that this card is a bit fatter than either of my two SanDisks. It fits, but you really have to push it down. Upon ejection it doesn't pop all the way back out either, so you need to have good fingernails. My fingernails are awesome, so I'm not worried.

As soon as it made contact, my Treo asked me if I wanted to format the card. I decided not to do this based on some accounts by others on this forum. Instead, I just reset the Treo. When it came back online the card couldn't be recognized at all, even after being removed and put back in. So, I took out the card, reset the phone once more, and put it back in. Again, it asked me if I wanted to format. This time I accepted the invitation. After few seconds it was done formatting, so I raced over to FileZ to see what was going on.

External Free Memory: 100% 1772m

Hmmm. This wasn't my worst fear. It could have not worked at all. But it isn't the best possible outcome either. I could have bought 2 2GB cards at the same price and had access to all 4GB. But this is science, and more experiments were in order.

Next, I tried re-formatting my little pink princess using my built-in Dell SD card reader. I guess I didn't know what to expect, but when I put it in my laptop, and looked at disk properties, it read at 3.73 GB with a file system of FAT. So, my Dell understands what is going on, but the Treo only sees half the picture. At this point I'm wondering what would happen if I put one large file, like a 3GB movie on the card. Would the Treo see it? I'll try that later.

First, I re-formatted the card in my laptop to FAT32. This took all of 5 seconds, and then I checked it just to make sure it changed. Sure enough, it read at 3.72 with a file system of FAT32.

After re-inserting the card back into the Treo I got a message saying that it was an unrecognized format and it asked me if I wanted to re-format the external device. Not wanting to go back to where I started, I figured it was FAT32 patch time. This file will not HotSync, so I just copied it to my 2GB card and had ZLauncher move it to RAM. Unfortunately, it had absolutely no effect, even after a reset. Iím not really surprised, but Iím still bummed. First of all, I remember reading that the author of this patch claimed that there is no way to FAT32 a Treo 650. Secondly, I think that the 2GB card limitation also owes itself to the fact that the 650 is only SDIO 1.0 compliant, and does not have SDIO 1.1. Iím sure that Palm could fix this with a firmware update, but who am I kidding? They just released one for Sprint today that only adds better support for 911. Well, guess what? I have an emergency right now because I canít get my new card to work! I wonder if 911 can helpÖ

So, thatís about it I guess. If anyone has any ideas Iím up for suggestions. Maybe someone with a great deal of skill knows how to make a custom ROM with built in SDIO 1.1 support from the LifeDrive or something. Or, maybe I just need to wait for my Treo 700p in the spring to take full advantage of the card. Right now Iím busy recoding the only movie that really matters (Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle) to a size of 3GB. Iíll report back in about an hour with my findings.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Maybe you need to make a custom ROM with the FAT driver replaced with the FAT32 driver. I have both in my custom ROM and I can't read FAT32 (on a test 128MB card)
    Thanks for the suggestion, nonobeez. That sounds like a good experiment. I've been toying with the idea of making a custom ROM. I used to have one back in the day when Shadowmite could host them, but I haven't really felt like I needed one since the Sprint 1.12 update. Of course, it would be nice to free up 4mb or so... I would just need some time to play around and figure out what I wanted in the ROM. I would also want to make sure I had the process down pat to avoid frying the thing. Maybe this weekend I'll play around. If you still have your ROM easily accessible on your computer and feel like trying to remove the FAT file while leaving the FAT32 patch, please do. You could then re-try your FAT32 formatted 128mb card and let us know how that goes. You never know.

By the way, I tried my movie, and it didn't work. I was able to put the whole thing on my card, but it won't play in my Treo OR on my computer when run from the 4GB. I think it has to do with the way the Treo formatted the card in FAT while thinking it only had a certain capacity. FileZ showed the card as having 0 bytes, and not even deleting the file later would work to make the card usable. I had to re-format it again into FAT32 on the laptop, and then back into FAT on the Treo. Other files that are smaller will work just fine though. I have a copy of the same film at 500mb (much more reasonable for the Treo anyway) that works great.

The moral of this story is, if you are going to use a 4GB card when you shouldn't, just make damn sure that you don't go over the data limit that the Treo sets otherwise you will be reformatting!

Oh, and I should also point out that this card IS pretty fast. Here are my 3 cards and their VFS speeds:

1GB SanDisk - VFS test in 1.15 seconds with a Wrt32bit score of 323bytes/second.

2GB SanDisk Ultra II - VFS test in 5.12 secs Wrt32bit score of 112 bytes/second.

4GB A-Data Turbo - VFS test in 3.26 secs Wrt32bit score of 302 bytes/second.

Even though this test fluctuates, each card can pretty easily be ranked. My 1GB is blazing. My 4GB is very fast considering its capacity, and my 2GB sucks and is not as Ultra as it claims to be.
    i'll give it a shot tonight... If it does not work, time to get a 2 GB card
    its a long shot, but how about partitioning?
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    supposidly partitioning works, but you need to reset the Palm device. Replacing the FatFS driver with the fat32 driver will not work, it will set your treo in "blinking" mode....
    Has anyone got the LD FAT32 driver (etc) to work on their Treo 650?

Based on all sorts of postings that folks were sucessful on other Palm devices, I purchased a 4GB SD card and tried a few FAT32.PRC discussion threads running around.

Depending on the driver, my Sprint Treo 650 either (1) doesn't like the new driver - only seeing the card as 2GB, or (2) continually reboorts - requiring a hard reset.

I've set the creator IDs to match the ROM based FATFS.PRC and renamed the file to FATFS.PRC. Just looking to confirm if anyone has actually got this working on a 650.

Chris
    What would you do with FAT32 running on your Treo? WinXP???

C

"Don't make me get the flying monkeys!"

Wicked Witch of the West
    <merged>

Chris, see it the postings on this thread. Palm current OS for Treo 650 max limit is 2GB.

So far no verified success for 4GB SD card use on Treo 650.
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 11/06/2005 at 11:47 PM.
    Citizen, try these instruction as per listed here.

The only way to get 2gb cards working on the PDAs listed aren't working is to use the FAT32 driver from the LD. To get it to work you must do a couple of things.

1. Copy it to your SD card.
    2. Put in the card and open up FileZ
    3. Copy the FAT32 driver into the ram.
    4. Change the Creator and Type IDs to match the FATFS.PRC .
    5. Once you have changed everything rename the FAT32.PRC to FATFS.PRC and reset your Palm.
    6. Viola you know have a working FAT32 sdio slot. Format your 4gb SD card and your Palm should read it.

NOTE!!!: If you hard reset your PDA, then you will lose the FAT32 driver. I recommend you carry around two SD cards. One with your backup and normal stuff, another with FileZ and the Fat32 driver already configured. Copy it over and restore your Palm.
    Also refer to the original thread on using the patched FAT32 driver below:

http://www.1src.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=fat32

Please, report back after trying these instructions! I am very curious and anxious to get one of these 4B cards if you can get this to work!! Remember, hordes of TC users are depending on you!!!

Edit: DOH! After re-reading the thread over at 1src, it appears that Dmitrygr was NOT able to create a custom FAT32 patch that works on the Treo 650 (at least yet). Too bad...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 11/07/2005 at 02:19 AM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Friends:

Wish I had read Citizen's excellent writeup before taking the plunge with the 4GB card. Have tried the steps listed on many sites (including the ones gfunkmagic listed below) to no avail. As Citizen posted, they all either crash, or show the FAT16 limit ( ~2gb).

Ah well, atleast my Camera can use the 4gb card!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Citizen, try these instruction as per listed here.

Also refer to the original thread on using the patched FAT32 driver below:

http://www.1src.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=fat32

Please, report back after trying these instructions! I am very curious and anxious to get one of these 4B cards if you can get this to work!! Remember, hordes of TC users are depending on you!!!

Edit: DOH! After re-reading the thread over at 1src, it appears that Dmitrygr was NOT able to create a custom FAT32 patch that works on the Treo 650 (at least yet). Too bad...
    Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I also just tried your instructions gfunk, just for good measure, and had the same results as amoeba. I'm not giving up though! If anyone has any other ideas I'm open to try just about anything except voodoo or black magic.

And Chris, it looks like we are both in the same position. Driving around in a brand new Ferrari stuck behind a cop doing 55 on the freeway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Citi-Zen
    Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I also just tried your instructions gfunk, just for good measure, and had the same results as amoeba. I'm not giving up though! If anyone has any other ideas I'm open to try just about anything except voodoo or black magic.

And Chris, it looks like we are both in the same position. Driving around in a brand new Ferrari stuck behind a cop doing 55 on the freeway.
    How about using Disk Commander or something similar to partition the 4gb into two 2gb drives while it's in a card reader? Then see if resetting will let you switch partitions?
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Well shneor and company,

I've fiddled around with about 5 different drive partitioning programs tonight, and have come to the conclusion that it isn't possible to partition an SD card. I've also read the same in other forum discussions such as this one:

Brighthand SD Card Warning

Every one of the programs shows my 4GB card as being "invalid" regardless of whether it was formated FAT32 by my computer, or FAT by the Treo. I don't think solid state drives can be split . Does anyone have any info to the contrary?
    Last edited by Citi-Zen; 11/08/2005 at 10:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Citi-Zen
    Well shneor and company,

I've fiddled around with about 5 different drive partitioning programs tonight, and have come to the conclusion that it isn't possible to partition an SD card. I've also read the same in other forum discussions such as this one:

Brighthand SD Card Warning

Every one of the programs shows my 4GB card as being "invalid" regardless of whether it was formated FAT32 by my computer, or FAT by the Treo. I don't think solid state drives can be split . Does anyone have any info to the contrary?
    Here's some quotes from that thread:
    "You can not partition an SD card on a PC running Windoooos, only Linux allows you to do this"
    " You would need to use fdisk, in a command console. On my Linux box you need to first unmount the card: can't remember the exact options, but I think I did 'umount /dev/sdd' Then 'fdisk /dev/sdd' . Then follow the prompts. You have to first delete the old partition, then create a new one of the size you want."

Maybe someone who is running Linux could try this.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast