1.    #1  
    palmOne sent me a review sample Treo 650 in February and a day later I ordered my own unit. I ended up keeping it for almost two months, but the low speaker volumes became a serious issue so I sold my device and moved back to my Nokia 7610 and a Tungsten T3. After finding out the T-Mobile was rolling out EDGE quickly, I looked around for a good Pocket PC Phone with EDGE and couldn't find anything currently available that appealed to me. The HTC Universal is too big and the Wizard hasn't come out yet.

I then found a great deal on Brighthand and bought another Treo 650. I installed a custom ROM that removed Versamail and RealPlayer and installed several apps, including the highly recommended VolumeCare. Well, I have to tell you that I am one happy customer again and wish I never let my old 650 go. I was surfing at 122 kbps earlier today and the volumes are more than adequate. I LOVE the thumb keyboard integration and the zippiness of Palm. Now I just have to go through and customize my favorites, add Bookmarks in the web browser and setup all my accounts and software.

It is good to be back and I don't think I'll let me Treo 650 go again. If a newer model comes out then maybe I'll pass this one down to my oldest daughter.

Thanks to all of you for keeping me informed about VolumeCare and other applications and utilities that help make the Treo 650 even better. And a big thanks to Shadowmite for the custom ROM tool, is that cool or what?
    Check out my ZDNet blog at http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/ and my SPE site http://nokiaexperts.com
    Welcome back, palmsolo.
    Welcome Home!
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Welcome Back!
    Welcome back, plamsolo. It's like you never left....
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Welcome back and have fun with the new toy
    Palmsolo did you make your own ROM?

I tried my d@mdest to do this. I made a ROM, put it on my card but there was nothing there.

If you managed to make a ROM I could use some pointers.
    yaaaay welcome back!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter

I tried my d@mdest to do this. I made a ROM, put it on my card but there was nothing there.

What do you mean by "nothing there"? No files at all? Missing files?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    We spent 3 days intermittently helping jamespaulritter try to do a rom, he constantly messed up parts we had told him several steps before...

You really need to take a step back, calm down, and spend a little time following the instructions as they are on my site. If something doesn't make sense, ask about it and do not skip it... it works properly when followed and understood.
    I am sorry I got on your nerves Shadowmite.
    Insertion this is all by memory from months ago, I :
    1) Downloaded sun java.
    2) got the T3 class
    3) DL the sprint 1.12 update,ran it, pulled the files from the temp folder, canceled it.
    4) Dropped them in a folder with the T3.
    5) Opened the zip with Shadowmites tool.
    6) Follewed the PDF and took out everything I didn't want, put in my apps.
    7 ) Created the rom
    8 ) Put it in the folder with the T3 class and dropped the command prompt. (Here's where I got lost and Shadow can testify to that).
    I sorted out all the prc files into a folder and all the remaining files to another folder. This was confusing because within the folders (the ones created after dropping the command promt) the files were completely blended prc files were within each folder. It seemed really odd that you were supposes to pick through every file to sort them out. also some said oprc so I didn't know if they went into the prc folder or not.
    9) I then placed the zip and the other folder on the card as directed (i don't have the directions right here and its been months since I looked at them. I can't view them on the treo and my computer is in the shop)
    When I went to the card view on the treo the files that I placed on there were not viewable. In my card reader on my PC they were there. This was probably best since I'm sure I sorted the prc files out incorrectly.
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    We spent 3 days intermittently helping jamespaulritter try to do a rom, he constantly messed up parts we had told him several steps before...

You really need to take a step back, calm down, and spend a little time following the instructions as they are on my site. If something doesn't make sense, ask about it and do not skip it... it works properly when followed and understood.
    Shadow do you know if we can delete the built in apps such as calendar?
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    NRG why did you quote Shadowmite to ask him that question,,,,, it was bad enough Shadow said it once already,,,, He dosent need any help b**ch slapping me around this thread,,,,,,,, ;-)
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 09/07/2005 at 10:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmsolo
    I am back to the Treo 650!
    PalmSolo, so where is the editorial over at pdageek telling us why you're back?!

With you, JK and even Gekko getting the Treo, I don't know what to think!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Umm, I'd say yes you can delete it. But I am cautious to delete any system level application from the rom. If the palmos tries to call that program during startup for some reason and its not there, you will most likely get a reset loop and the phone will have to be fixed.

That said, I see no reason why the system would call calender on startup.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter

I did make my own ROM last night and it is working well. I followed shadowmite's instructions and took out RealPlayer and Versamail, along with the language stuff. I then put in RescoBackup, DocstoGo (main prc), MyBible, PowerRun and Uninstall Manager.

I now may am thinking what to do with SplashBlog, PocketTunes, and Handmark Express.

I have Agendus and Agendus Mail SSL, along with MobiPocket, SplashPhoto, TealMover, TideTool, and VolumeCare on the device too.
    Check out my ZDNet blog at http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/ and my SPE site http://nokiaexperts.com
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    PalmSolo, so where is the editorial over at pdageek telling us why you're back?!

With you, JK and even Gekko getting the Treo, I don't know what to think!
    Actually, I may post one up today or tomorrow announcing that I am back, discussing the cool ROM tool, and other thoughts.

UPDATE: I posted a Rave on PDAGeek stating that I am back
    Last edited by palmsolo; 09/08/2005 at 01:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmsolo
    I did make my own ROM last night and it is working well. I followed shadowmite's instructions...........
    I was going to give it another shot next week. If I get stuck again can I PM you an alert to a question I'd post in this thread ? http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...2&page=1&pp=40