1.    #1  
    Today I received my Treo 650 from a fellow Ebay'r who failed to tell me that the phone is "locked" with Earthlink. I called both Earthlink and Palmone requesting help, but both parties told me I stuck with the phone. My mistake during this problem was making the assumption that all 650's were GSM (not knowing about CDMA) Looking back, I wish I had found this website first before I bought the phone from the dork on Ebay.

Based on what little I know I think my only option is to sell the phone (locked or unlocked). I want to be honest with a potential buyer, but I don't want to "dump" a useless phone on someone. Can anyone tell me what I should do with the phone? I would like to buy a phone that can be used on T-Mobile's network after I sell this Treo 650/Earthlink phone.

Thanks in advance!

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by gt350mike
    Today I received my Treo 650 from a fellow Ebay'r who failed to tell me that the phone is "locked" with Earthlink. I called both Earthlink and Palmone requesting help, but both parties told me I stuck with the phone. My mistake during this problem was making the assumption that all 650's were GSM (not knowing about CDMA) Looking back, I wish I had found this website first before I bought the phone from the dork on Ebay.

Based on what little I know I think my only option is to sell the phone (locked or unlocked). I want to be honest with a potential buyer, but I don't want to "dump" a useless phone on someone. Can anyone tell me what I should do with the phone? I would like to buy a phone that can be used on T-Mobile's network after I sell this Treo 650/Earthlink phone.

Thanks in advance!

Mike
    You might list this for trade in the Marketplace forum.

Or you might list it on ebay (obviously listing it as a locked phone with Earthlink). I hate to tell you but you have to know what you are buying...did the sellers ad list the phone as an unlocked phone? If it listed it as Earthlink, didnt that clue you in that it might not be a GSM phone? Either way...good luck.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

CDMA phones aren't even "locked." You can use any on any other network as long as the company allows you to "register" it. I've heard that Sprint does not let you use phones not bought through them but Verizon is less picky. You could probably use the phone on the Verizon network if you so desired.

But, I imagine you are really interested in a GSM phone that you can use overseas. In that case you have no choice but to sell the phone you got and eat the loss. You can probably resell it on Ebay for close to what you paid for it.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster
    CDMA phones aren't even "locked." You can use any on any other network as long as the company allows you to "register" it. I've heard that Sprint does not let you use phones not bought through them but Verizon is less picky. You could probably use the phone on the Verizon network if you so desired.

But, I imagine you are really interested in a GSM phone that you can use overseas. In that case you have no choice but to sell the phone you got and eat the loss. You can probably resell it on Ebay for close to what you paid for it.
    I paid $270 plus tax so do you think I'll be eating too much of a loss???
    I paid $270 plus tax so do you think I'll be eating too much of a loss???
    Good luck to you. The fact that it is an Earthlink branded phone doesn't help. Not saying it's bad, but you would have an easier time if it were a Sprint or VZW phone.

And...not to pile on, but:

http://www.earthlink.net/wireless/treo/
    http://w.eimg.net/i/com/cart/cart_treo_199_2.gif
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6.    #6  
    Silly Ranger........You don't need to sign a two year contract if you buy my phone!

Seriously, I think I'm not going to like the outcome of this deal. I paid via paypal so I've gone ahead and I have filed for a refund.

When were stationed at FTCKY?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    have you contacted the seller - you can mutually cancel a sale and have the listing fees refunded to the seller (just for situations like this) - you should offer to eat the shipping.

If they are genuinely interested in good customer relations, they will work with you. If not, I think you are stuck (buyer beware)...

good luck
    Or if the seller is only marginally interested in good customer relations, offer to sell it back to him for less than you paid. Easy money for him, he can re-sell the phone, and you may only take a small loss.

Just a thought.

-jeff
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    If the eBay ad said nothing about it being for Earthlink, send it back and demand a refund. The person lied to you.

Joe
    quake...he didnt lie, he just didnt disclose it (and arguably didnt disclose it because it would limit the amount he could get for it.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

11.    #11  
    I've asked Paypal for a refund so I'm hoping for a miracle. I made a mistake by paying for it with a bank draft vs my credit card. Not going to happen again!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    why in the world would the seller take a loss ?

If he lied, fry him - that should be handled by Paypal. If he didn't lie, and you didn't ask, quite frankly, this is your issue.

Everybody wants to save a ton of money on ebay and have the same Customer Service and recourse as buying through a retail channel - that is just not going to happen, and to expect it is unrealistic.

I had a situation where, after shipping the phone, the buyer complained (and left me negative feedback) because the "shipping cost was too high". The costs were clearly stated, and agreed to, and in the interest of good service, I offered a FULL refund of purchase price and shipping if I received the item in the same condition as I sent it. The buyer's asnwers was "no, I want a refund on the shipping and want to keep the item or I'll leave neg fb"

To force a change to the contract because you misunderstood it, or changed your mind after the fact is wrong, any way you slice it....
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    To force a change to the contract because you misunderstood it, or changed your mind after the fact is wrong, any way you slice it....
    Agreed. If the guy didn't clearly lie in the auction it was your mistake.

For some people a Earthlink Treo might be the perfect fit. For example Verizon wanted to charge me $450 for a Treo and force me into a two year contract. If I had the Earthlink one I could just hook it up and be off to the races.

When I was first shopping for a Treo I knew I'd be using it on a CDMA network...either Verizon or Sprint...because they had the coverage in the areas I needed. On Ebay there were people selling "unlocked" phones that were supposed to work on Verizon and Sprint. I'm glad I spent a little more time researching before I paid the $450 bucks people were asking on Ebay. Instead, I spent $200 bucks to buy an Earthlink Treo from OfficeMax. I like the service and the phone.
  14.    #14  
    Just got back an email from PayPal and they have determined that I am due a refund. What I'm concerned about is the fact that they have a disclaimer stating "we are limited by the terms of our buyer protection policies". Paypal has requested that I send the Treo back to the seller but I'm worried that they guy won't refund my money. Any guidance on this before I ship the phone back?????

I think I've made myself the posterchild for what NOT to do as far as buying a Treo off of Ebay. I know there are a lot of people that have been very successful buying a 650 off Ebay, but I'm sure there are a few like me that gets burned!
    No, you made yourself the poster child on why sellers should NOT accept paypal.

Unless this guy specifically stated it was anything other than Earthlink, then it was your fault. No big deal, you put it back on ebay and sell it for as much as you can - take a little loss and learn from it.

Now, Paypal locked this guy's money and/or account, you are crying about being a victim - you'll find no sympathy from us here. You didn't get burned, you burned the seller. Now, you can expect to see your money back in no less than one month.

So maybe you were burned, by yourself.

-WC-
    There is a reason that Ebay has ways of contacting the vendor for questions before the sale. Either the seller deliberately left out the carrier hoping to snag a newbie with no clue of the differences between models (my guess), or they "forgot" this crucial detail.

Too bad you didn't do a little research before putting in your "winning" bid. It's a sticky situation, and I'm not sure if I were the vendor I'd appreciate you reneging on the deal if it were a matter of you not doing your homework on what you were buying.

That said, stating the name of the carrier is such an obvious component of the deal you gotta wonder about the vendor's sincerity from the beginning, and you may have a shot at a mutually agreeable solution. With Paypal it may take a while, but if the vendor is interested in keeping a good rating you may be saved here.

Next time, especially on Ebay - caveat emptor!!
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    I hate paypal and will never use it by choice as long as I live.
    I called both Earthlink and Palmone requesting help, but both parties told me I stuck with the phone. Mike
    I wonder why he didn't contact the seller. If you don't let the seller know there is a problem, he can't do anything to fix it. Could it be the ad actually listed it as an Earthlink phone? Based on his description of the circumstances, Mike gets no sympathy from me.