1.    #1  
    I've installed and uninstalled so many apps and such that I'm wondering if there is anything like a "defrag" that I can do to my Treo before doing a full factory restore. I think it might need something like this as it "hangs" on a white screen occassionally when I click on things, it resets here and there. So its not totally broken, just misbehaving a bit. Thanks in advance.
    Raya
    Hotsync, do a hard reset, and restore from hotsync. At least I think that will work. Experts?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I would hotsync, do a hard reset, move your backup folder or rename it, then reinstall all the apps you are actually using one by one....
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Or you could do a zero-out reset, which is functionally like a hard reset, but writes 0000 over the NVFS memory area.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    There is not really a need or way to "defrag" your Treo. It is not like a hard disk that runs better when all file parts are in the same place.

However, if you are talking about cleaning out the junk, you would have to do a hard reset, rename your backup folder, do a clean install, then add the programs and files you want from your backup folder. You will need your reg codes when you do this. It will take some time but it does create some extra space in your ram. That is really the only reason to do it, unless you are getting a lot of resets. A hard reset can get rid of offending software.
    The purpose of defragmenting a drive is to place contiguous blocks of data within a data file/program next to each other on the physical hard drive surface, so that the drive does not have to move the reading head. As well, this will enable the drive's buffer to be more useful. Defragmenting on the Treo (or any non-hard drive based device) provides no advantage since it takes a (theoretically) finite amount of time to read memory from either the internal RAM or external card at any location.
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
  7. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emair
    The purpose of defragmenting a drive is to place contiguous blocks of data within a data file/program next to each other on the physical hard drive surface, so that the drive does not have to move the reading head.
    Well, it's also to free up a larger contiguous block of free memory instead of lots of small ones, in cases where a large continuous block is needed...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    Well, it's also to free up a larger contiguous block of free memory instead of lots of small ones, in cases where a large continuous block is needed...
    I think a soft reset will make the dbCache available in one big chunk. Nothing more elaborate is needed, IMO.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A