View Poll Results: Have you ever experienced Treo 650 GSM "freeze" problem?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

116 80.00%
  • No

29 20.00%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone have never experienced a Freeze + slow down problem on a GSM Treo 650?
    In my opinion this is a very very critical issue as even if the phone is telling you that it has signal (green led) it doesen't.
    Wile my Treos (this is the 4th replacement!!) are in this "status" an incoming caller hear the free tone line but I'll never know about his calls. SMS+MMS are lost.

It happened to me will in a low signal area, both in Italy (Vodafone) and in Sweden+Norway (several carrier).

My final questions are:
    Palm, are you aware about the problem?
    Palm, did you fix it?
    I've been through several Treo 650's (unlocked on tmobile, GSM of course) and *all* of them have had this issue. Neither Palm nor Tmobile have been able to affer a working solution.

In the meantime, I'm sticking with my Nokia 9500, having relegated my T650 to emergency use only status until this issue is resolved. Overall, I like the T650 better for size/features/battery life (though lack of wifi is a small issue.) Once (if) this problem is ever resolved, I will switch back.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    I have this problem with my unlocked GSM T650 on T-Mobile. It seems to happen when going through an area of low or no signal, though intermittently. There are two manifestations: 1) a complete hang or 2) very slow communication between the radio and the phone app, such that events eventually get handled, but often with a minute or more latency. I have seen condition (2) turn in to (1). In both cases, a soft reset is required to clear the condition. Sometimes, condition (2) will happen when it appears that there is signal strength. I believe this is caused by the latency of updating the phone app signal strength indicator and LED when going through an area of low or no signal.

Note, this only happens when I go through marginal signal areas. In areas where there is signal but not from my carrier (SOS only indication), it does not seem to happen.

I do not think this is a hardware problem, but I think results from some race condition where the PDA gets out of sync with the radio portion of the device.
    I also experience a fair number of "freezing" or very slow response issues with my unlocked/unbranded 650 on T-Mobile. It occurs much more frequently when I'm out of a T-Mobile area (like up in northern Michigan) where I have to rely on other carriers to handle call/data duties. However, I also (very) occasionally have it occur at home where I have a substantial signal and I am sitting in my den. It isn't really an issue at home (because of the infrequent times it occurs), but it is becoming a pain the rear up north.
    Unlocked/Unbranded GSM Treo 650
    1.71/1.30 ENA, HW A
    T-Mobile Total Internet
  5.    #5  
    Guys,
    the causes of this ISSUE is exactly the same for me, even if my carrier is different, and even if I live very far from you.

Do you think that this is a sw problem? I don't care, Palm has to fix it soon. I can live with a phone that has not the best signal strengh, I can live with one reset every two days, I can live with a quite low speaker volume......but I can't live with the unsafe situation of losing calls and or messages. This is the real issue for me unless you stay the all day checking if your Treo is FREEZED or not.

I'm gonna have the 4th Treo (3 replacements!!) in less then 3 months. I'll keep you updated about my 4th baby!!

Ciao.

Vittore
    I think it would benefit them (PalmOne) greatly if they do monitor boards like this one. But I am not sure if they do or not.

The Treo's weak signal behavior is rather poor for otherwise a very polished machine.
    I don't know if you can edit the title of this post, but as someone stated before, this is NOT a GSM-only issue. My Cing phone started this behavior after the Cingular update.

I've begun charting this behavior. My phone wouldn't wake up/froze this morning (after initially waking up just fine when I unplugged it from charging overnight). The last time it did this was 6 mornings ago. We'll see when it happens next (i'm suspecting it'll be in @ 6 days!).

-Kirk
    Kirk,
    Is replacement an option for you?
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KMeloney
    I don't know if you can edit the title of this post, but as someone stated before, this is NOT a GSM-only issue. My Cing phone started this behavior after the Cingular update.
    Just to be clear, Cingular is a GSM phone. I would very much believe this is not confined to unbranded GSM 650s.
    ive never experienced this. Recently I was traveling and had low or no signal for quite a bit of the trip and still never had any slow downs or freezing
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I think the SW and FW versions should be included.

Joe
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Fw: 1.28
    Sw: 1.13-row
    Hw: A
    Quote Originally Posted by rfg17
    Just to be clear, Cingular is a GSM phone. I would very much believe this is not confined to unbranded GSM 650s.
    I'm sorry -- I mistyped! Right, my phone is a GSM. I think this problem is cross-phone, though (and so I got ahead of myself)...

As for me, trade-in is not an option until it can be determined what the problem really is. The last thing I want is to get a phone that's worse than this one (afterall, this freezing, and the occassional having to re-press the red phone button to wake the phone back up, are the only problems that I'm having with the phone).

-Kirk
    I have a cingular branded phone, and also get the frequent freeze-ups - generally i have to remove the battrery to get things going again.

FW: 1.28
    SW: 1.13-ROW
    HW: A
  15.    #15  
    Jo,
    you are right:

Fw: 1.28
    Sw: 1.13-row
    Hw: A

PALM, listen to us. We all love (at least me!!) the best smartphone out there, but if I see a green light I HAVE TO BE SURE THAT MY Treo WILL RING ON AN INCOMING CALL. If there is no signal, show me a red light, I'll wait for a better zone to receive SMS/MMS and the Carrier SMS about lost calls.

I don't care if it happens once a week (actually where I live the Vodafone signal is vert good), IT MUST HAPPEN ZERO TIMES TILL WHEN MY TREO WILL BE IN SOMEONE HANDS.

PALM, listen to us, or at least ensure us that you are (hardly) working on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpasint
    I think the SW and FW versions should be included.

Joe
    Check out this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...t=650+GSM+lock

Also, it would not only be helpful to show SW and FW versions but what software you are running. I have an unlocked GSM 650 on Cingular (Blue side) and have not experienced any of these symptoms that were not related to a piece of software I installed. My most recent problems were with Ringo Pro. I uninstalled it and everything is back to normal.

FW: 1.31
    Hardware: A
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoBeard
    Check out this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...t=650+GSM+lock

Also, it would not only be helpful to show SW and FW versions but what software you are running. I have an unlocked GSM 650 on Cingular (Blue side) and have not experienced any of these symptoms that were not related to a piece of software I installed. My most recent problems were with Ringo Pro. I uninstalled it and everything is back to normal.

Hardware: A

In my experience I found 4 Treos on 4 with the same problem (3 mine and one of a friend of mine). I saw a "freeze event" twice when the Treo was new, even befor the first hotsync.

I don't really think that this problem could be related to a 3rd party sw.

I use:

Backup manager 1.53
    Doscs To Go 7
    pTunes 3.09
    Butler 3
    Beyond contacts
    VolumeCare 4.17
    Profiles 1.01
    Ultrasoft Money 4.2.2

Vittore
  18.    #18  
    - "Freeze/slow down" issue is a very critical problem as we not only have to reset our phone, we risk to loose incoming calls and SMS+MMS.
    - It is only related to GSM/GPRS models. It doesn't matter the carrier (Cingular or European) and the sw-fw version (CNG 1.31, ROW 1.28....).
    - "Freeze/slow down" event happens often wile we are in a weak signal area.
    - It is not a 3rd party sw related problem, the issue has been reported by both power user and "clean installation" user.
    - We don't know (we are not Palm engineers!!) if the problem is the hw or the sw (or a combination of both). We don't care about it and we only want Palm to fix it with an update or hw replacement.

Do you all agree with me?

Sorry for my english!!

Ciao.

Vittore
    I have the same problem (upgraded to lasted unlocked GSM software: 1.28 FW and whatever the other release number is (1.13?)).

Vitto(re) - I think this is a good summary. I agree that this is:

a) Not related to third-party software. My wife had no third-party software and it would consistently do this (more often than mine). Note: her phone was more often at home than mine. My home is in a LOW signal area.

b) When I was in Ireland this summer for two weeks, I can't remember having a single problem (though I may have had one or two, but that's so low my memory registers none). I had strong signal areas almost the entire time.

c) At one point, I thought the difference in stability between her phone and mine was related to hardware. So I hard reset both phones, swapped SIMM cards and synchronized. The worse stability went over to my old phone (that she now had) -- which, as I said, has NO third-party software on it.

d) Most consistent problem I have is a freeze or slow operation -- almost always at my "low signal area" home. I turn off my cell phone at home now -- and have generally found better stability when I do this.

e) My wife threw in the towel a couple weeks ago -- she's the proud owner of a Blackberrry 7100g, which she genuinely tells me (with no ill feelings) on a daily basis is the BEST phone she's ever had. If BB had a decent way of managing/inputing/editing tasks/TODOs, I'd probably switch too -- but I'm all too willing to ignore the unacceptable stability of my 650, as it has a much superior user interface. BTW - she's had her phone two weeks without a single reset or issue. I'm sure I've soft reset mine at least 10 times -- with a freeze or two as well. The extra 650 is going on eBay this weekend.

f) My secret fear is that there is a hardware problem (bug in one of the chips) -- but suspect that it's most likely poor acting firmware that gets exercised much more often when signal conditions are low.

Perhaps we're off target here (as to exacerbating cause) -- it just seems way too coincidental over months of use and observation. I can't believe that Palm's not seeing the problem, unless they have great signal coverage in their test facility. They need to put a bunch of units with hardware trace capabilities into a poor signal quality area and figure out what's going awry. I can't believe the source of this problem is that hard to nail down (hence my (irrational?) fear that there is a hardware problem).
    I've been seeing the same thing for sometime now. Generally, the problem occurs in the morning - service is marginal in my house, at best. So when I wake up and grab the phone it's in the "slow as molasses" mode. A quick reset always fixes it.

SW: 1.15-CNG
    HW: A

Whenever I turn the radio off the night before then I wake to a quick / fully functioning phone.

Dunc
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast