View Poll Results: Have you ever experienced Treo 650 GSM "freeze" problem?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

116 80.00%
  • No

29 20.00%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Could this (the phone hang problem) have something to do with issue of the loose SIM card listed in other threads? Does putting a piece of paper behind the SIM card fix this problem?
    No. I had this happen with my new sim tray. Plus, my phone doesn't shut down when tapped, etc.
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by vittogn
    They love cut and pasting!!! A Treo user is not stupid. I've just replied to them.....waiting but I'm quite hopeless!!!

Vittore

The answer to me sayng to call them. As I'm from Italy it would be quite expansive to call the US. Is there anybody that bought his Treo less the 3 month ago that is in the mood for calling them?

Here is the text of case ID 850637:

"Dear Vittore:

Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. My name is Rolando and I will be assisting your issue with regard to your Treo™650 smartphone.

Vittore, with regard to your issue, I suggest that you may contact our phone Technical Support Representative further details of the issue or you may process a Service Request Order. This team can be contact at:

877-426-3777

Please note, support telephone calls are subject to a technical support fee of $25 per incident after 90 days from the date of purchase. However, if your call results in a Service Repair Order, or we are unable to resolve your issue, this fee will be waived.

Note: $25 fee will be waived.

We hope this issue has been resolved to your satisfaction. A Customer Satisfaction Survey will be emailed to you very shortly. Please take time to provide us with your feedback about this support experience, as it will help us in our on-going effort to continually improve our services.

If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again. You can also find troubleshooting articles and frequently asked questions at:..........."

Luckly we could find someone smart that care about our problems.

Thanks to all.

Vittore
    same issue here. vittogn, rfg17 and criminal made a good and detailed description of it, which I subscribe at all.

my 2 cents:

- I have two UNLOCKED GSM 650, one branded, the other unbranded, both with (Fw 1.28, Sw 1.13-row, Hw A, HS SN PTGG02*), and they experience the same freezing issue;

- it seems to happen with low signal, but *not always*, I'd prefer to say *often*;

- the branded one worked fine with the original firmware (TIM-ITALY), until I upgraded to the 1.28 ROW downloaded from Palm... I wish to go back but can't get it anymore... :-(

furthermore, I confirm what The Man noticed: any SMS\MMS sent during the freeze is lost forever (thank you for letting me note it).
    matro 180->270->600->650->750v->680->Pro
    Any of you using Profile Care on your GSM? Freezing & slowdowns occured a number of times before I figured out it was due to ProfileCare. I've deleted that POS program and haven't experience one freeze since then!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnNaik
    Any of you using Profile Care on your GSM? Freezing & slowdowns occured a number of times before I figured out it was due to ProfileCare. I've deleted that POS program and haven't experience one freeze since then!!!!!
    I had noted this same thing happening to me. Especially if Profile Care was changing the status of the radio or bluetooth. My whole Treo would come to a slow down. And then after it had changed settings be slower than mud. I'd have to reset and then all would be good again.

Personally I loved the concept of what PC would do. But for my Treo it was not working.
    Cingular GSM Treo 650, Apple PowerBook G4, iQue 3600, iPod Photo 60GB
    PalmPilot > Palm Vx > Palm M505 > Garmin iQue 3600 > Treo 650

Seek first to understand, then to be Understood
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnmunch
    I had noted this same thing happening to me. Especially if Profile Care was changing the status of the radio or bluetooth. My whole Treo would come to a slow down. And then after it had changed settings be slower than mud. I'd have to reset and then all would be good again.

Personally I loved the concept of what PC would do. But for my Treo it was not working.
    Unfortunately PC isn't the cause, as in all my 4 Treos I never used it.

Vittore
    Last edited by vittogn; 09/10/2005 at 06:40 AM.
  8.    #68  
    The poll seems to be stable on 80 vs 20. That's a very clear result to me, and shold be the same to Palm.

Unfortunately the do not care about us!!

It seems then that there are no clear difference between lucky guys that never had the fu****g experience of a freeze and us. Sw, Hw, 3rd party apps...........no difference.

My conclusion is that quite a lot GSM Treos are faulty, you only need to be lucky to buy a good one. This is very disappointing for such a wonderful smartphone.

If my 4th Treo will have a freeze (I had it for 2 days) I'll probably request to Palm a pay back. A friend of mine that is a layer told to me that this issue is enought as the Treo is a phone and it desn't work like a phone.

Ciao.

Vittore
    Sorry, I voted before I realized it was for GSM phones. I've got a CDMA and it happens as well.
    Does anyone report their radio turning off when the treo "freezes"? My radio is intermittently turning off and wonder if this might be the cause.
  11.    #71  
    I had my 4th Treo in my hand for 4 days with no freezing event.
    I can't say I'm happy, lets wait at least one month for a full test.

I'll keep you updated.

Vittore
  12.    #72  
    Is there any possibility that Hardware Revision B (that seems to start being shipped out now) can fix our freezing problem?

Vittore
    I have not voted because I do not have a GSM phone. I'm using Sprint, but I have this same very annoying problem. It seems that when my signal goes low (as indicated by a tone I get when I lose signal), then my Palm freezes. If someone calls, they go to VM, but I do not get SMS/Messages when the Palm is in freeze mode. I also cannot use the Palm at all when it is frozen, but it seems to remember my key punches, because when it wakes up, it will go through all the steps I tried to do when it was frozen. Very frustrating and almost a deal breaker for me. I NEED to get my Messages, because the Treo is basically my emergency pager and I cannot afford to miss one!
    Dana A. Max, Psy.D.
    Licensed Psychologist
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, Palm m515, Treo 650, Centro
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by dmax
    I have not voted because I do not have a GSM phone. I'm using Sprint, but I have this same very annoying problem. It seems that when my signal goes low (as indicated by a tone I get when I lose signal), then my Palm freezes. If someone calls, they go to VM, but I do not get SMS/Messages when the Palm is in freeze mode. I also cannot use the Palm at all when it is frozen, but it seems to remember my key punches, because when it wakes up, it will go through all the steps I tried to do when it was frozen. Very frustrating and almost a deal breaker for me. I NEED to get my Messages, because the Treo is basically my emergency pager and I cannot afford to miss one!
    I realize now that also CDMA user has the same problem. This is not a good news at all.
    At least you guys have the call when Treo is frozed redirected to voicemail.

Vittore
    From my experience dealing with the Palm tech support on this issue, all they seem to want to do is get you to admit that you have 3rd party apps installed. Then they can blame something/someone else. The Palm tech support is just a bogus setup to never really deal with any problems but just point the finger at someone else. That seems to be all they are trained to do. I TOLD them I had performed a hard reset and had not installed ANYTHING and the Treo still FROZE. So they wrote back and suggested I do it again. What fantastic support.
    Last edited by The_Man; 09/24/2005 at 11:20 PM.
    Well for me... one thing is for sure. I NEVER had this problem with the original Cingular firmware (1.04). When I upgraded, I started getting these freezes within a week.

There has to be something in this latest version that is causing this behavior for many of us (or the way the new firmware is reacting with some particular app).

From what I can see only one guy with ROW has seen the freezing. The rest seem to be on Cingular firmware.

Anyone brave enough to try going to ROW and seeing if the slowdowns go away?
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I noticed this too. but only after I installed MobiTv (beta)
  18.    #78  
    After 5 days the poll seems to be stable at 80-20.

For what my 4th Treo is concerned no Freeze after 5 days. I'll keep you updated.

Any news regards guys with hw revision b?

Vittore
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Guys,
    we have 3 lucky men and 14 (actually 18) unlucky!!
    BrazilNuts is one of the 3 and he reported a PTGG05 SN.

AnteL0pe and Treobread, would you please give to us your SN.

I saw a PTGG02 reported not to work fine. My 4 Treos was PTGG01 and PTGG02.

Please post your SN reminding how many Treos you received and of course if the have or not freezing problem.

Vittore
    Vittore, i had the same problem that all of you, in the morning after long periods of phone standby, my t650 just get frozen and the only way to get out was a reset.
    I experienced this after upgrading to the lastest sw patch from palm, 1.13
    My t650 it's an unlocked gsm.
    Palm changed my unit now, i have hw firm 1.15 and sw 1.06-row.

NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM LIKE BEFORE so far. 5 days turned on not a single reset or frozen t650.

Honestly, i don't want to make any upgrade, even though palm says that i'll have clear voice ,better filesystem organization and whatever.

HS SN: PTGG0265xxx

I suggest not to upgrade anything.

I'll keep you posted about my t650.
    For what my 4th Treo is concerned no Freeze after 5 days. I'll keep you updated.
    really good to know, vittogn. let's complete the week now!

can you give us some details about your 4th Treo: firmware\etc version? is it unbranded GSM? what was the replacement reason?

I have two freezing Treos (one unbranded, the other is Tim) waiting for a replacement...

Any news regards guys with hw revision b?
    I'm interested too, any news about this?
    matro 180->270->600->650->750v->680->Pro
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast