View Poll Results: Have you ever experienced Treo 650 GSM "freeze" problem?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    116 80.00%
  • No

    29 20.00%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 118
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fry420
    Agree with one exception. Why in the world would Palm allow such a basic phone feature as "volume" to be so fouled up? I have been using Volume Care on a trial basis and will definitely purchase the product. How frustrating. Palm should be embarrassed.

    Fry,
    I totally agree with you.
    BTW I consider volume issue and the poor BT implementations problems that I can live with. The first can be quite well solved with VolumeCare, even if we have to pay more bucks to give to a "very hight end" mobile phone a basic features.

    Sorry Fry, but let's try to concetrate now on the freeze issue. IMHO it is 100% not liveble with even if it occurs once a week. I work with my phone and I can't risk to loose any phone call or messages.

    Vittore
  2.    #42  
    Come on, we can not give up. Our Treo is the best Smartphone but we need to do our best to fix the problem!! I can't do it becaise I'm only a user like, but complainig all togheter we can force Palm to give us the solution.

    What do you think about the idea of higher SN is better? Is it stupid?
    If you think that this could be a good idea, please post your SN + "freeze yes or no".

    BTW at the moment we have 4 lucky GSM user: AnteL0pe, BrazilNuts, liweilun and TreoBread.


    Vittore
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by vittogn
    Guys,
    we have 3 lucky men and 14 (actually 18) unlucky!!
    BrazilNuts is one of the 3 and he reported a PTGG05 SN.

    AnteL0pe and Treobread, would you please give to us your SN.

    I saw a PTGG02 reported not to work fine. My 4 Treos was PTGG01 and PTGG02.


    Please post your SN reminding how many Treos you received and of course if the have or not freezing problem.


    Vittore
    I don't think the serial number matters... mine starts with PTGG02. I purchased my unlocked GSM 650 in February.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by vittogn
    Guys,
    we have 3 lucky men and 14 (actually 18) unlucky!!
    BrazilNuts is one of the 3 and he reported a PTGG05 SN.

    AnteL0pe and Treobread, would you please give to us your SN.

    I saw a PTGG02 reported not to work fine. My 4 Treos was PTGG01 and PTGG02.

    Please post your SN reminding how many Treos you received and of course if the have or not freezing problem.
    Mine is a Cingular branded Treo 650 (now unlocked) which I purchased 3 months ago. My serial number starts with PTCG03 and its the only one I have ever had.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  5. #45  
    I'm not so sure that the Serial Number is the key issue.
    Perhaps the real issue is - does it only happen when the signal craps out?
  6. #46  
    Went though the other thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=65775 that deals with the same problem.
    Jeff Gibson is going through a nightmare dealing with CDMA or GSM users with different SIM and firmware versions from Orange, Cingular, T-Mobile, TIM or whatever customized solution.
    The Palm OS version, NVFS together with the radio system is also unique to the Treo 650.
    I was lucky to flash my T650 with the Palm update when it was fresh clean from the factory. I never had sound problems. I use a Treo BT headset without any problems. The initial NVFS limitations were corrected. Going through the posts of users of this forum I understood I would have to be very careful on what I apps I added. Also tried dbcache tools and decided a once-a-week reboot would take care of the problem without it. I reboot from inside SuperUtilities as it is a pain to remove the battery to do a soft reset. Also I leave at least 11 MB of RAM free. I load everything I can to a 1GB 80X Transcend SD managed by PowerRun.
    My laptops which have at least 1GB RAM and a Pentium M processor under XP start to get slow or unstable after a day's work. Hence I turn them off every night when I am finished working.
    Use a TT2 paired with a T68i as backup. Never had to soft reset the TT2 due to "clean up" memory issues. The T68i, however needs to be rebooted frequently.
    The Treo 650 has its limitations, same as any PC running Windows (including XP). Still I prefer Windows and Palm over Apple, Linux, PPC, Symbian and others.
    Maybe IMHO users that are having trouble would benefit of rebooting more frequently.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazilNuts
    Still I prefer Windows and Palm over Apple, Linux, PPC, Symbian and others.
    Maybe IMHO users that are having trouble would benefit of rebooting more frequently.
    Rebooting shouldnt be needed, though being a windows user i can see why that would be something youre used to. I have to bounce my windows laptop daily as well just to keep it stable.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  8. #48  
    I agree with you AnteLOpe, however we are dealing with a new system which unlike the Palm III, V, TTs uses a new file system and new OS version coupled with customized versions of firmware. The interaction with radio on a non multitasking environment (Palm OS) should bring some memory issues which seems to get fixed when booting.
    The bright side of it is that it is much quicker to boot the Treo than a Windows laptop.
  9. #49  
    I've just noticed something further related to this problem:

    If your phone has gone into one of these freezes and you don't know about it, any SMS or MMS sent DURING THE FREEZE to your phone disappears FOREVER. You will never even know that someone has sent anything. As far as your provider's systems are concerned, your phone is still 'LIVE' on the network and it attempts to send the SMS/MMS to your phone. However, your phone has FROZEN so never receives the message. This also means that if a voicemail message is left , you will not be notified.

    I work freelance and I can't risk losing work any longer and so will have to replace this phone.




    TREO 650 UNLOCKED GSM
    Last edited by The_Man; 09/24/2005 at 11:15 PM.
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Man
    I've just noticed something further related to this problem:

    If your phone has gone into one of these freezes and you don't know about it, any SMS or MMS sent DURING THE FREEZE to your phone disappears FOREVER. You will never even know that someone has sent anything. As far as your provider's systems are concerned, your phone is still 'LIVE' on the network and it attempts to send the SMS/MMS to your phone. However, your phone has FROZEN so never receives the message. This also means that if a voicemail message is left , you will not be notified.

    I work freelance and I can't risk losing work any longer and so will have to replace this phone.

    Francis

    TREO 650 UNLOCKED GSM

    Francis,
    it is exactly the same for me.......I can't risk to loose even 1 call per month.

    Vittore
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazilNuts
    Went though the other thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=65775 that deals with the same problem.
    Jeff Gibson is going through a nightmare dealing with CDMA or GSM users with different SIM and firmware versions from Orange, Cingular, T-Mobile, TIM or whatever customized solution.
    The Palm OS version, NVFS together with the radio system is also unique to the Treo 650.
    I was lucky to flash my T650 with the Palm update when it was fresh clean from the factory. I never had sound problems. I use a Treo BT headset without any problems. The initial NVFS limitations were corrected. Going through the posts of users of this forum I understood I would have to be very careful on what I apps I added. Also tried dbcache tools and decided a once-a-week reboot would take care of the problem without it. I reboot from inside SuperUtilities as it is a pain to remove the battery to do a soft reset. Also I leave at least 11 MB of RAM free. I load everything I can to a 1GB 80X Transcend SD managed by PowerRun.
    My laptops which have at least 1GB RAM and a Pentium M processor under XP start to get slow or unstable after a day's work. Hence I turn them off every night when I am finished working.
    Use a TT2 paired with a T68i as backup. Never had to soft reset the TT2 due to "clean up" memory issues. The T68i, however needs to be rebooted frequently.
    The Treo 650 has its limitations, same as any PC running Windows (including XP). Still I prefer Windows and Palm over Apple, Linux, PPC, Symbian and others.
    Maybe IMHO users that are having trouble would benefit of rebooting more frequently.

    BrazilNuts,
    your analisys is very helpfull. Tx.
    BTW I saw a freezing problem on a Brand new Treo, before the first sync!! This means no applications loaded, the whole memory available.

    Vittore
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1
    I'm not so sure that the Serial Number is the key issue.
    Perhaps the real issue is - does it only happen when the signal craps out?

    In my experience it happens where the signal is very weak and variable from zero to two bars. Then I think that you have to stay in these kind of areas for quite a long period (more than 5 minutes or more).

    When you are in a zero bars area, Treo tells to you it with the red led and then it catch the signal when you move in a better zone, more or less like other phones.
    I tested it and I was online quicker than a Nokia 6610.

    Vittore
  13.    #53  
    After less then a day we are 75% vs 25%.

    We are testing Treos and not people, for this reason I'd say that the gap is higher, at least 85 vs 15. My vote for example should be 4 instead of 1!!!

    It is also true that it is easier to involve people in such a "issue poll" people unhappy. I can't quantify this aspect.

    Can I say that the most of GSM user has this problem? This should be quite enough for Palm to give us some answers.

    The SN resolution that I purposed seems to be stupid. With my knowledge I can't see any difference between our Treos and working Treos.


    What can we do now? Why don't we raise a lot of ticket to Palm's support site suggesting them to read this thread carefully? Is it a stupid idea?

    Waiting for your feed back.

    I don't want to start reading about Windows Mobile 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want my Treo working.

    Vittore
  14. #54  
    Had it happen way back when -- not after the fw upgrade tho.
    fw 1.31
    sw 1.13
    hw A
    ROW

    - Wouter
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by nispen
    Had it happen way back when -- not after the fw upgrade tho.
    fw 1.31
    sw 1.13
    hw A
    ROW

    - Wouter
    Nipsen,
    where did you find custom ROM 1.31 for GSM unlocked? Will Palm release it officially? Unfortunately I don't think that this is going to fix my problem!!!

    Sorry, I'm a bit out of topic. I'll go and search.


    Vittore
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by nispen
    Had it happen way back when -- not after the fw upgrade tho.
    fw 1.31
    sw 1.13
    hw A
    ROW

    - Wouter

    Wouter,
    sorry for my second quote. Due to my poor english I didn't understand!!

    You noticed the problem wile on 1.28 and nothing after 1.31 upgrade? Is that correct?


    Anybody else had this improvment from 1.28 to 1.31 ROW?


    Tx.

    Vittore
  17.    #57  
    Dear Vittore:

    CUT CUT CUT CUT CUT CUT CUT CUT CUT CUT

    I know how bad you feel on this situation, Vittore. I went the link that you gave me and read some of the posted comment there. This problem is usually caused by conflicts created by third-party software installed on your Palm handheld. To resolve this issue, you may need to backup your User data and perform a Soft Reset. If the issue persists, you will need to perform a Hard Reset, rename the Backup folder and change the conduit actions in HotSyncŪ Manager. Renaming the Backup folder prevents transfer of third-party applications during the HotSync operation. To complete these steps, please follow the instructions given below:

    CUT CUT CUT CUT CUT CUT CUT CUT CUT CUT


    Definitely not so helpful!!!!

    Vittore
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by vittogn
    "This problem is usually caused by conflicts created by third-party software installed on your Palm handheld. To resolve this issue, you may need to backup your User data and perform a Soft Reset. If the issue persists, you will need to perform a Hard Reset, rename the Backup folder and change the conduit actions in HotSyncŪ Manager. Renaming the Backup folder prevents transfer of third-party applications during the HotSync operation.
    Pure cut and paste from a Tech-support script. Did they even notice that some people see these problems running after a fresh hard-reset/no software/no synch?
    They can kiss our collective
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1
    Pure cut and paste from a Tech-support script. Did they even notice that some people see these problems running after a fresh hard-reset/no software/no synch?
    They can kiss our collective
    They love cut and pasting!!! A Treo user is not stupid. I've just replied to them.....waiting but I'm quite hopeless!!!

    Vittore
  20.    #60  
    Cross finger, but as the poll is saying 80 vs 20..........I'm agai hopless.

    Do you have any other ideas??


    Vittore
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions