1.    #1  
    All,

I recently got a Treo650 to replace my malfunctioning Kyocera 735, which I had for more than two years. I have lots of questions about how the T650 works differently, but let's start with this one...

On the Kyo, I could see how many voicemail messages were waiting for me in the "Message" application. On the top line it would say something like "3 voicemails waiting."

On the treo, I don't see a way to view this information. Yes, when a new voicemail appears, and Alert screen says how many voicemails are waiting for me, but when I dismiss this screen, I don't know how to see that figure again.

Is there a hidden setting or feature I haven't found yet, or must I seek out third party software, or is this just something the T650 doesn't do?

Thanks,
    Warr
    Here in Oz, the number of voicemails is sent via a SMS when one is received. Push your message envelope button to go to the messages screen and you should see the list of them there.
    --
    j.
    Motorola 1100 (Beige!) -> Nokia 1610 -> Nokia 2110i -> Ericsson GH688 (x3) -> Motorola StarTac Xe (x4) -> Motorola ? (some old CDMA brick) -> Ericsson T28 (+ Palm V) -> Ericsson T10 (+ Palm V) -> Nokia 6210 (+ Palm Vx) -> Sony Ericsson T610 (+ Palm Vx) -> Pa1mOne Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by 0jjjjjjjjjj0
    Here in Oz, the number of voicemails is sent via a SMS when one is received. Push your message envelope button to go to the messages screen and you should see the list of them there.
    I have GSM Cingular, and have never seen this. The voicemail message is not a 'regular' SMS that you can go back and look at later once you dismiss it.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
  4.    #4  
    Ah, I keep forgetting I need to specify things. I'm using Verizon in the US. My pages are definately appearing as SMS messages, but the Voicemail count is definately NOT appearing there.

Thanks, and still lookng for an option.

-Warr
    I am with Sprint...
    They say it is a limitation within their service.

It would be a nice feature, but in a way what good is it to know?
    Does the number of voicemails you have determine whether you will check them or not?
    As soon as I hit the envelope, it tells me exactly how many voicemails are waiting.
    I would check them anyway, so its no big deal for me.
    Mine says something like 'You have 3 new voicemail, 2 of which are marked urgent' ... All the carriers do it here, I guess it comes down to carrier specs.
    --
    j.
    Motorola 1100 (Beige!) -> Nokia 1610 -> Nokia 2110i -> Ericsson GH688 (x3) -> Motorola StarTac Xe (x4) -> Motorola ? (some old CDMA brick) -> Ericsson T28 (+ Palm V) -> Ericsson T10 (+ Palm V) -> Nokia 6210 (+ Palm Vx) -> Sony Ericsson T610 (+ Palm Vx) -> Pa1mOne Treo 650
  7.    #7  
    Mine says something like 'You have 3 new voicemail, 2 of which are marked urgent' ... All the carriers do it here, I guess it comes down to carrier specs.
    My Kyocera 7135 did exactly this here with Verizon in California. The Treo is on the same service, so I'm just concluding that it was a limitation of the hardware.

Since YOU can see that sort of message on your T650, I'm going to assume that it is a Verizon-modified firmware issue.

I'd still love to know if there's a third party product that could list the waiting voicemails.

As for *why* I'd like to know this, its pretty simple. Suppose you're working and, say, your mother in law calls. You pass on taking the call, and "BEEP", there's a voicemail. Now another call comes in with NO called ID. You pass on that one too because you're in a meeting. The phone is on Silent. You end the meeting and want to see if there are any MORE voicemails, because you have a second meeting in two minutes and don't feel like wasting time just listening to your mother in law talk about this weekend right now.

If I could see there were two voice mail messages waiting, I'd know I need to check my messages right now.

Anyway, thanks for the reports...

-Warr
    Warr-
    Good explanation.

I have an unlocked 650 and when I switch to a different SIM (when I'm travelling in other places), I get different behavior of this sort: sometimes I get that cassette-tape looking icon, sometimes SMS, and other things. So it may well be a carrier issue. In the favorites button for Voicemail, however, there has ALWAYS been a "1" (sans quotes) to the right of the word "voicemail", no matter where I am or how many VM I have waiting for me. What's that about?!
    -mbd26
    I don't know if this answers the original question, but...

The number of VMs is listed in the "Alerts" window. When you view that window, you have the option of checking off the box next to the alert, going directly to the VM, hitting "cancel", or ignoring the screen altogether.

If you check the box next to the alert, or go to the VM, then that will cancel out the alert. If you DON'T check the box or go to the VM, the alert will remain (until you address it directly in one of these ways). If you don't address the alert, the Treo will flash an asterick in the upper left corner of the screen.

To solve your problem, when checking the VM alert initially, don't address the alert directly. This way, after your meeting, you will be reminded of the initial -- and any new -- VMs that came in during your meeting. Clicking on the asterick in the corner will take you back to the "Alerts" screen.

-Kirk
    Quote Originally Posted by mbd26
    Warr-
    ...In the favorites button for Voicemail, however, there has ALWAYS been a "1" (sans quotes) to the right of the word "voicemail", no matter where I am or how many VM I have waiting for me. What's that about?!
    RTFM... If you hold down the number 1 key, it will autodial your voicemail. You can also program other speed dial keys. If I hold down H it dials home.
    the 1 in the box is the one touch dial button for voice mail. Press and hold 1 in the phone app to dial your vm. It has nothing to do with the number of messages.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Is there any way to get to the alert screen besides hitting the little * in the corner? Is there any program that will let you get there some other way.

TIA
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    I was in Trinidad on my Treo 650 roaming and they actually did it properely... Beside the Bluetooth icon if your cellular provide has implemented it properely theres an icon that appears that looks like a tape with out the casing 0_0 kind looks like that but the line represending the type is at the top instead of the bottom and its connected to the 0's making it look like a tape if you press it it takes you to voicemail.
    hey blue212, if you hit and hold the Center button in the 5-way it will take you to the alert screen instead of trying to hit that little button... which is a pita if you have a vaja case that raises the side a little...
    blee4, I'm on Cingular in Cali, and I actually have that little icon for my v-mails... I like that too, but a number indicator next to it would be even better!!
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Thanks -- I gotta try this. Will holding the center button work in all programs or do I have to be on the phone screen?
    No, it does not work in all programs. Ben
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    great trick -- works most of the time -- I hated having to hit that little flashing *