1.    #1  
    Hi,

I just recently purchased a CDMA (Sprint) Treo 650 (should be arriving this week) to replace my Blackberry 7230 (T-Mobile). I would like to get as much blackberry functionality on my treo as possible. My main concerns are push email and OTA Outlook PIM sync.

I've been reading this forum and I've found that the consensus around this board is that chatter is the way to go for push email on the treo (the only way to go without using a solution that requires server software like goodlink..from what I understand). I see that I have to use IMAP email with chatter in order to get push. There are many IMAP services and I'd like to know which one do you guys think is the best? So far I know of www.everyone.net, www.fusemail.com, and www.fastmail.fm

My other concern is the OTA Outlook sync to keep my PC and Treo's contacts, to-dos,calendars synced. At first I was planning on doing Bluetooth sync but I've been reading Fusemail's site and I see that they offer Addressbook and Calendar features:

"Calendar & Appointments
    Create one, many, or share Calendar & Appointments folders with members of your organization through the web application client. Sync your calendar folders online with most applications and devices. "

"Address Books
    Manage a central address book for your organization and access it using LDAP from any email client. "

Is it possible to have fusemail calendar/address book sync with the treo OTA? I don't need true wireless OTA PIM syncing, the bluetooth syncing suits me well but it would be a nice feature to have.

Thanks.
    My vote is for fastmail. Its free and if you set it up with chatter and gmail...then you always have access to your emails online.

I looked at fusemail...the email portion is fine. I never looked at syncing appts. and contacts.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    I initially tried fastmail, but AIM offers a free 2GB email account supporting IMAP idle. That's what I went with.

iPhone 3G ..:.. Jailbroken 16GB Black
    AT&T 8925 Tilt ..:.. WM 6.1 ..:.. SIM/CID unlocked
    BlackBerry 8830 ..:.. Work phone
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the replies guys.

What about AOL? Could I use the AOL palm software to sync contacts/calendar with treo and PC? I read in another thread on this forum that they were working on a feature to sync the treo with their addressbook/calendar and that they already had a feature for syncing their addressbook/calendar with Outlook. So could I use AOL as a possible middleman?

"If you've got a PDA or BlackBerry, a Sidekick™ from T-Mobile, or a Verizon Get It Now™ mobile phone with Mobile Web 2.0, you can use AOL Mail to send and receive mail, store contacts in your mobile Address Book, and more."
  5.    #5  
    Anymore insight?
    checkout enomia.com. They use Pylon Anywhere which will wirelessly sync your Treo. Pylon uses SMS Push to sync both email and calender/memo/task/address. I ended up deleting their mail app and using Chatter. This is the closest i have come to making a "Treoberry"
    You should look at Seven (aka Sprint Biz Connect). Push email and good synch wih Outlook contacts. Also synchs with Outlook calender, but I don't use this so can't vouch for quality of that feature. Doesn't kill all the Palm functions like Good does, either. Excellent product
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    For me I pretty much have a "Treoberry" with my AOL account and chatter. I am still on my chatter trial but I am going to buy this app. The only thing I would like is some way to send "PIN" messages with data. My girlfriend still uses a BB and it would be nice to send her messages for free. The two ideas for that are email back and forth cause we both have push and I use Verichat and she likes IM+ on her BB, the "PIN" would be nice though. Anyway for me, chatter works great! Excellent app!
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Is there a way to get this Treoberry experience with my existing POP3 account?
    Quote Originally Posted by Changelives
    Is there a way to get this Treoberry experience with my existing POP3 account?
    Are you just concerned with email? You can't PUSH with a POP account. The best you can do is set your email client to poll your POP account every X minutes.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I have tried that and if you are on cdma and polling every 5 min, it seemed like a lot of calls were going to VM.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I was told that if i use Chatter and then everyone.net, I could do it. I it worth it?
    I was told that if i use Chatter and then everyone.net, I could do it. I it worth it?
    You can use fastmail.fm for free. I forward my gmail and charter.net accounts to fastmail, and have it pushed to my Treo (with Chatter.) But everyone.net, fusemail, fastmail.fm and aol's free email service all offer IMAP.

Fastmail and AOL are free, although Fastmail limits your storage space and bandwidth. (You can upgrade to paid Fastmail accounts though for more storage and bandwidth. I'd suggest a free fastmail account, and upgrade if you feel the need) AOL also has some issues, so look into each.

I make no apologies, I'm an admitted Chatter fanboy, and have said more than once that if I could only install one app on my Treo, Chatter would be it. So, yes, IMO it is worth it.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Thank You
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I have tried that and if you are on cdma and polling every 5 min, it seemed like a lot of calls were going to VM.
    I would expect that to be the case. Marc could probably answer it better, but it seems doing it that way would be worse for voice calls than an IMAP connection...

Chatter is worth it, and im not a fanboy. It's simply the best email app for the Palm OS hands down. When something better comes along, i'll switch, but I dont see that happening any time soon.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Chatter is worth it, and im not a fanboy. It's simply the best email app for the Palm OS hands down. When something better comes along, i'll switch, but I dont see that happening any time soon.
    Sounds like the description for a fan boy of Chatter? In reality, its hard NOT TO BE a fanboy when you use this app and you get the push email going.

Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Do not be ashamed. Come out of the fanboy closet.

One last help - I set up my free fastmail account and i am getting emails on my treo and the app is beautiful. BUT when I send an email from my treo, I am told i need SMTP support which i need to pay for. Did i set it up wrong?
    One last help - I set up my free fastmail account and i am getting emails on my treo and the app is beautiful. BUT when I send an email from my treo, I am told i need SMTP support which i need to pay for. Did i set it up wrong?
    No. I believe that is correct. I have set up SMTP profiles in Chatter. For gmail, I use their SMTP server.

For charter.net, I have to use sprintpcs.com as the server and enter my charter.net addy in the reply to fields. (This is because many ISP won't allow "relaying", so unless you are on your home computer, you can't use an ISP server.)

Example.

Gmail forwards to Fastmail. Fastmail pushes to Treo. To reply I select my gmail profile from the drop down menu (lower right)

Same for charter.net emails.