1.    #1  
    Been working for a couple days for a workaround to the fact that my ISP E-mail won't support wireless SMTP.

I've downloaded the Chattermail BETA (1.1b3) and signed up for a AIM account.

Forwarded my Insightbb email to the AIM account. Everything is working great there! (As I start to play with Chatter more, this is NICE program.)

What I want to do is have any replies looks as though they came from my insightbb address rather than AIM. But when I enter my insightbb address into "Ret'n Addr" and try to reply, I get:

Sending Error: 550 Access Denied

I have the Server setup as smtp.aim.com with my aim Login name and Password.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Most SMTP providers won't allow you to use an alias as a return address.

However, fastmail.fm allows this; you could get the $14.95 one-time fastmail plan and then use that for the SMTP Profile of the AIM account (using the Insightbb info as return address). Does that make sense?

Marc
    Hey Mr. Chatter, do you get any kind of benifit from Fastmail? I would've have never given them a second glance if it wasn't for Chatter. Just curious...
  4.    #4  
    Marc,
    Thanks for the quick answer. I've been beating my head for the last few weeks on a reasonable E-mail solution. Gone through Versamail, demoed Snapper and yours. I'm settling down on yours. I want PUSH!

I think your answer makes sense.

Just to clarify, I signed up for the AIM only today to get IMAP IDLE capabilities. Sounds like the final solution may be to sign up for the $14.95 Fastmail and use the Fastmail SMTP with my Insightbb alias. Eliminate AIM entirely?

Another quick question. The AIM account I setup in Chatter does not 'connect' until I enter Chatter, thus I'm not getting notified until I enter the program. What don't I have setup correctly?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Are you using SSL?

Marc
  6.    #6  
    Marc,
    Yes, I am. How would that affect it?

In messing around with this more, I setup the following:
    1) My Yahoo account using POP and notification via SMS, no SSL required.
    2) My Insightbb account using POP and notification via SMS, SSL is required.

I can send a E-mail to both of them. I get the nofication on Yahoo, but I don't get the Insight until I go into the Chatter/Insight account.

???
    Palm's built-in SSL functionality doesn't work in the "background" (i.e. when the app using it isn't running); that's what you're seeing. I licensed the MatrixSSL package to get around this limitation; it's available on my site for $10 and allows background operations.

Marc
  8.    #8  
    Thanks Marc,
    That explains that.

I've been burning the midnight oil and finally did the following

Setup my insightbb account to forward to a fastmail account
    Signed up for the $14.95 FM account.
    Setup an alias for my insightBB address
    Setup Chatter for the IMAP FM account
    Works perfectly send and receive. Fastmail completely transparent to user.

My Yahoo is working OK with POP and SMS push.

Appreciate the help. I'm on your demo right now, but will purchasing your software in the next couple days. This is nice.

Would you know offhand if Chatter 'plays well' with NotifyLink? I will be having this installed for work next week for corporate Email/calendar through Groupwise 6.5. Hope there are no conflicts between the two.
    DTom: I am a little confused on why you bought the fastmail service just to send emails? Who is your provider? Couldn't you use your cell provider's smtp to send email? I used to use sprints smtp server to send email and now with Chatter and Gmail, I use Gmail's smtp to send then forward Gmails emails to my fastmail account for 'push'.

Just curious...I might be missing something ;-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

10.    #10  
    I would rather the receipient of the E-mail see that the E-mail replied from where they sent it to rather than coming from Cingular, Yahoo, etc. (My ISP is Insightbb). Insightbb does not support SMTP from wireless devices. That's the main reason I'm doing this.
    Regards,
    Tom
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    ^ Tom, I'm wondering if you tried to use your ISP's SMTP server w/ Chatter. Because it should be fully supported (assuming they allow SMTP access from outside their network).

The fact that your using a wireless device should be transparent to their server. To the server should treat chatter just like any other mail client trying to connect.
  12.    #12  
    Yes,
    I tried my ISP's SMTP with Versamail, Snapper, and Chatter with multiple settings.

Doing some searching on the internet about InsightBB, it seems other folks are having this problem as well. Is disappointing, but not ready to abandon my broadband ISP yet. (Their's not much of a choice where I live.)

Regards,
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by DTom
    Yes,
    I tried my ISP's SMTP with Versamail, Snapper, and Chatter with multiple settings.

Doing some searching on the internet about InsightBB, it seems other folks are having this problem as well. Is disappointing, but not ready to abandon my broadband ISP yet. (Their's not much of a choice where I live.)

Regards,
    Tom
    You should still be able to use your Cingular server and have the reply to address set up as you insight account Anyone recieving an email should see it being sent by you@insightbb

Obviously, if they're going through all the headers, they'll see the Cingular server in there, but most people just read the body of the message.

With Chatter, you'd make an smtp profile with the Cingular server, user name and password, but the return address would be your insightbb addy.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  14.    #14  
    Insertion,
    I'm going to need to play with that. I may have missed something there.

Nonetheless, after a complete holiday weekend of screwing around with this, I'm happy and satisfied with my E-mail solution. After dinking with Versamail for a week, then demoing Snapper, I settled on Chatter. I do hope it plays well with Notifylink when I need to have that installed for corporate E-mail/calendar.

Regards,