Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    From what I read the consensus is leaning to don't use it. Seems to be a feature Verizon has built in but it would not even let me complete my account activation.

Should I even bother calling Verizon tech support to waste a lot of "hang on the phone" time if wireless sync causes more problems than it's worth.

Not much on it in the manual. From my understanding using wireless sync allows me to hot sync with my laptop with out the cable and remotely too but for remote use the laptop of course has to be left on all the time.

I would like to ditch the cable if possible because my cheap Averatec notebook eliminated the infrared port to save on costs.

So Yea or Nay on wireless sync

I recently signed up for unlimited data so that's not an issue for me. I sync now with outlook and use XP pro.

Thx
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    Nay. Get Chattermail and an Imap email. I think you have to have your computer on for wireless sync to work.
    Wireless Sync from Verizon isn't <necessarily> intended to replace HotSync. It can, but that's not really its intended focus. The function of Wireless Sync basically depends on which email service you're running. If you're using POP or IMAP, then it that case, WS works just as a basic mail client only (like VersaMail or Chatter or Snapper), and only email is being synced wirelessly. All the other conduits still have to sync via cradle/cable. If you're running Exchange or Notes, then WS can sync all the usual conduits wirelessly and work as a push email solution. If you're using Exchange or Notes, then WS comes in three flavors:

- Individual Version: Your PC does have to be on and connected to maintain a persistent connection to the Exchange or Notes server. Not that great a solution for a lot of folks, esp if your VPN connection drops all the time without you there to keep it going. But it's not bad if it's just you and you can keep alive your VPN connection somehow. This version is free - out of the box.

- Workgroup Version: A pretty decent scenario in which 20 or so users can sync/push everything to Exchange/Notes wirelessly. One computer someplace in the organization does need to be on and connected to the Exchange/Notes server,but the individual users' PCs don't have to be connected. Some IT folks have issue with this setup, but as long as the PC that's doing the redirecting is protected and locked down, etc, it's not that bad. Also free. Will serve up to about 20/25 users. Pretty decent for free.

- Server Version: The one version of Wireless Sync that does cost $$ - something like $1500 to $2000 for unlimited users. But it's completely secure, behind the firewall, server-side install, with device management and remote kill/wipe, etc. This is the version that the IT guys like.

And of course Cingular and Sprint also have similar offerings - Sprint's is Business Connection, and Cingular's is called XpressMail. SEVEN is the software behind those guys, and Intellisync is behind Wireless Sync.

The problem with Wireless Sync is that it has so many different versions - it's a POP client, it's a single-user redirector, it's a departmental solution, it's a server solution. It's a floor wax and a dessert topping. Having all those different solutions under one name just serves to confuse folks.

But the point is that Wireless Sync isn't <really> intended to replace HotSync, in the truest sense of the concept. I use Wireless Sync to push out all my email and calendar/contact stuff, and I still use HotSync for installing apps, Docs To Go usage, backup, etc.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Nrosser . . Thanks for taking the time to be so sub sync (get it ) in your explanation.

This is just what I was looking for as to what it actually does. From your explanation I'm garnering that it would be ideal for say a few person sales team to be able to wireless synch from remote locations and this way all involved would know of schedule changes, meetings, sales entered etc.

Seems not ready yet for prime time for layman like me. But even going though threads there was not much info on it.

Didn't want to tote around yet another cable for syncing (no infrared on laptop). Supposed I could get a usb infrared adapter or pmcia card but don't like stuff sticking out.

Have been using a 2 foot OEM sync cable that came with an accessory pack I purchased so I'll have to suffice with that little shorty.

Great summary though
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Thanks Gapost: Actually, I don't even care about email as 90% is spam on my broadband Roadrunner pop3 account. Have not figured out how to filter it out yet using MS Office Pro on XP. I was more interested for calendar and contact syncing.
    Where do you get the workgroup version?