1.    #1  
    I am going to upgrade the firmware on my friend's Sprint 650, and was wondering if performing a HotSync will not only backup his data, but also ALL of his 3rd party software. Will it?
    Quote Originally Posted by LABachlr
    I am going to upgrade the firmware on my friend's Sprint 650, and was wondering if performing a HotSync will not only backup his data, but also ALL of his 3rd party software. Will it?

Yes

If using a PC, open hotsync manager in the system tray and tap custom. If syncing more than 1 devise, choose user id in the window and scroll down to 'backup' and highlight it and click 'change' and choose 'handheld overwrites desktop' then click 'ok' then click 'done'....

Hotsync devise. Then if you want to make sure third party apps were actually backed up. On the puter, go to programs/palmone then open file with hotsnync id and then open backup file and check to see if the prc files with the third party app names are in that file.

If so, then install update and hotsync again. Everything should be back.

Chuck :brick
  3.    #3  
    Very cool. Thanks.
    It should be set by default to handheld overwrites desktop. It "should" back up everything including preferences. I never had a problem but some people have. However, the software on the card will not be backed up but you will still have the card intact and you can even copy the card to your computer if you want.

I will tell you that when I upgraded by vzw firmware, I found some instability when I just restored from backup. I then did another hard reset and did a fresh install of everything and it is working great. It also gives you a chance to clean your Treo up.
  5.    #5  
    I don't seem to see any of the third party software in the backup folder that my friend wants to save.

They are ChessDlx, FacerPRO, Hold 'Em, & Trivial Pursuit.

Shouldn't I see them in the Backup folder under his username?
    Are these installed on the SD card? That won't get backed up to the PC by Palm's Backup conduit.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  7.    #7  
    No, they aren't. I copied them to the SD card before I did the HotSync, but there was still a copy of them on the phone. I took out the SD card to make sure they were still on there. And he also said that when he lost his first 650, and they sent him a new one, when he did a HotSync, he no longer had the programs that he had bought online via his Treo.
    The backup conduit will back up files with the Backup flag set.

Use FileZ to check that flag.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A