Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i'm on version 1.0.7b31...treo 600...sprint...

Marc:

It is conclusive...there is a battery drain intrinsic to the 'online' state of chatter....the following would be done at bedtime:

1) Charge your treo to full battery

2) Setup one imap mailbox, put it 'online'

3) Now...before you go to bed...from your phone application (by holding the button on top of the treo), turn your radio off...

4) Battery drain over the course of the night will take you down to the 15-25% area...

NOW...

Try the same experiment with the mailbox set to qsync...shut off the radio the same way...same night sleep...the battery will be near what you left it at...solid battery life through the night with almost no drain...

WHAT I'M SAYING...

There is something 'wrong'/'persistent' that chatter is doing in the online state...wether the radio is on/off or if the unit is asleep/awake...it feels like the code of the program is working and hitting a brick wall, then hitting it over and over again in these states...it just feels like a draining 'loop' kind of thing...

i love chatter, and i love marc...

===============================
    imprison bush for not freezing gas prices...
    I'd like to see a log of the behavior that's "wrong". With the radio off, nothing like that should be happening.

BTW, get the latest beta if you're going to do another test. This might have already been fixed.

Marc
  3.    #3  
    ten-four...

detroitkruk
    ver. 1.1b2(95:47) beta here.

DEFINITE change in battery drain when in wait state or with qsync set at 30-minute intervals, etc. etc.
    Also am now seeing the network having to repeatedly log on (red-lighting) - even though the radio, phone is fine.
    My battery is already down to 80% after charging it a couple hours ago. Normally I'd be at about 95% battery charge.
    Perhaps there's some sort of memory leak going on?

Also, haven't figured out how to send a log (because I'm a very distracted ***** at the moment, sorry).

Greg
    There's no memory leak in the beta. A log would be valuable (instructions in the FAQ at www.chatteremail.com).

Marc
    I've noticed that if I have Chatter offline that the battery runs down even if I am not using the phone at all. I had no prior battery usage issues prior to Chatter so I can only assume Chatter is causing the problem. Chatter seems to use the same amount of battery whether it is online or offline.
    neotope - I'm not sure what you mean by "offline" and "online". When Chatter is "shut down" (using the menu commands), it shouldn't use ANY batter. When Chatter is running, but no Mailboxes are online, Chatter will use SOME battery, but nowhere near as much as when it's actively receiving or transmitting data.

Marc
    ver. 1.1b3(95:47) beta here. Just started using last weekend.

I'm getting this also. Pulled out of my cradle at around 8:15AM this morning.
    It is now noon and my battery down to 85%.

I'll try to figure out the log thing.
    Found it. I started log and will let it run while my TREO sits off. Will E-mail later.
    DTom - Not sure who your carrier is but what you're seeing strikes me as reasonable for battery usage. No need to send a log.

Marc
    It sort of seems like the folks in this thread are mentioning slightly different issues with Chatter and their phones. In other words one person mentions Chatter and the power consumption it uses (while the phone is off) and it is "online" and another person has mentioned chatter "offline" while the phone is still on. Difficult to really see any kind of a pattern here.

I will add this for what it is worth (I have a sprint treo 650). I spent the last 4-5 days camping in Havasupai at the Grand Canyon. To get there you usually hike about 12 miles to get to the campgrounds, needless to say there is no cellphone reception for miles around. I took my treo with me (to try out an astronomy program) but had the phone off the whole time and I didn't notice any battery drain at all. This was hardly a scientific study but I just wanted to add that I didn't come across any noticeable issue (Chatter 1.07b39).
    I jumped the gun a bit on my above post being new to Chatter and after reading other posts increased battery usage is something to get used to.

I did do an very unscientific experiment today to check some setting differences.

First my configuration:
    Cingular
    One (1) IMAP account (Fastlook)
    One (1) POP account with SMS pull (Yahoo)
    Not a huge mail user..a dozen plus or minus messages a day

From 8:15AM to 2:00PM battery decreased from 99% to 78%
    Thus 21% / 5.75 hours = 3.65% decrease in battery life per hour
    (Had two short calls and half dozen E-mails.)

Setting changes:
    Checked - Efficient Sync
    Checked - No data with poor signal (doubt this made a diff because I have good signal)

Dropped on charger and took back off at 3:10PM back up at 99%

From 3:10PM to 7:10PM (now) battery decreased from 99% to 92%
    Thus 7% / 4 hours = 1.75% decrease in battery life per hour
    (Had two more calls and another half dozen E-mails.)

I would conclude Efficient Sync definitely helped!

Something I may try later is to change my IMAP account to SMS pull (I think I can do this?) reduce the network connection time. See if it offers any other reductions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    neotope - I'm not sure what you mean by "offline" and "online". When Chatter is "shut down" (using the menu commands), it shouldn't use ANY batter. When Chatter is running, but no Mailboxes are online, Chatter will use SOME battery, but nowhere near as much as when it's actively receiving or transmitting data.

Marc
    I'm still trying out Chatter so as of right now I only have one mailbox setup. I set the mailbox as offline and during this time the battery drain on my phone seemed consistent with the drain I get when I have the mailbox online. It seems now that I should have "shut down" Chatter instead of just taking my mailbox offline.
    neotope - That's not right either. When all mailboxes are offline, there should be very little battery drain. If that's not the case, I'd like to see a log of, say, an hour when there aren't any mailboxes in use and during which the battery has drained.

Marc
    neotope - That's not right either. When all mailboxes are offline, there should be very little battery drain. If that's not the case, I'd like to see a log of, say, an hour when there aren't any mailboxes in use and during which the battery has drained.

Marc
    I will do some testing tomorrow while I am at work. If I am at work I'll have a solid testing environment instead of being out and about. Thank you for your quick response!
    From 8:40AM to 9:10PM (now) battery decreased from 99% to 69%
    Thus 30% / 12.5 hours = 2.4% decrease in battery life per hour
    (Used phone, Internet, and Email alot today.)
    Still much better than before Efficient Sync
    Quote Originally Posted by DTom
    From 8:40AM to 9:10PM (now) battery decreased from 99% to 69%
    Thus 30% / 12.5 hours = 2.4% decrease in battery life per hour
    (Used phone, Internet, and Email alot today.)
    Still much better than before Efficient Sync
    What is efficient sync and how do you enable it? I need better battery consumption with chatter.

Today, I charged to 100% at 12:00 noon and I'm down to 65% at 5:45 p.m. The battery life you're experiencing seems to be really good. I'd like similar results.
    joflow - Your battery life is about what I'd expect from Sprint or Verizon already (sounds like around 15 hours); don't expect much more - Sprint/Verizon are VERY bad in this department (GSM phones maybe 2x longer). You need the beta to get "Efficient Sync"; it's in the Connections prefs.

Marc
    joflow - Your battery life is about what I'd expect from Sprint or Verizon already (sounds like around 15 hours); don't expect much more - Sprint/Verizon are VERY bad in this department (GSM phones maybe 2x longer). You need the beta to get "Efficient Sync"; it's in the Connections prefs.

Marc
    Thanks for the quick reply Marc. Do you think Efficient Sync will help CDMA battery drain at all? Or should I just invest in one of those extended batteries?
    Quote Originally Posted by joflow
    Thanks for the quick reply Marc. Do you think Efficient Sync will help CDMA battery drain at all? Or should I just invest in one of those extended batteries?
    In my experience having "Efficient Sync" enabled does not reduce the battery drain. However in general the Beta seems to be less problematic compared to the release version of Chatter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast