Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    It may be fixed! My Treo is no longer hot to touch (from excessive battery drain) when running Chatter - just like it use to be. I'll leave it turned on for a while without the charger to double check. Thanks for your help.

Edit: Yep, no question - it's fixed!
    Last edited by gregb882; 11/03/2005 at 07:21 PM.
    Unlocked/Unbranded GSM Treo 650
    1.71/1.30 ENA, HW A
    T-Mobile Total Internet
    Same here, fixed. Pretty cool of Fusemail to post on here too to follow up on the issue. I'm impressed.
    airjoe - I'm impressed as well... Kudos to fusemail!

Marc
    It's not true that fusemail is the cause of the battery drain issue - at least not in my case since I'm not a fusemail user.

I've been updating to betas and reverting back to stable versions for weeks now with the same noticeable battery drain.

Could it simply just be an IMAP vs. POP-routed-through-IMAP vs. just-POP issue?

Versamail and Snapper don't seem to have this issue - but then they don't have all the features that Chatter has. So MAYBE one of the features/switches is causing this problem.

I sent a log a long time ago, but haven't really seen any resolution yet.

Greg

unlocked/unbranded GSM / T-Mobile / 1 email account (cox.net POP routed through T-Mobile IMAP)
    I don't know what problem you have - there WAS a problem with fusemail (confirmed by them), by the way.

If you send me a log of an hour's activity, I'll take a look. Instructions in the FAQ at www.chatteremail.com.

Marc
    Is anyone else seeing rapid battery drain again? I have fusemail and saw this problem last week (11/3). The problem seemed to have been resolved that same day, but the problem has returned. I'm losing about 10% of my battery in 30 minutes.
    OK, problem has gone away again. Now I feel like a hypochondriac. I'll keep an eye on it I guess.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    II think the problem may be related to signal strength. I have a favorite restaurant where the signal strength is almost non-existing and strange things start happen. I normally just turn the phone off there and turn it back on when I get half mile down the road. Chatter could be repeatedly trying to establish a connection and causing the drain.
    Normally, Chatter won't do that. It will stop trying after a while...

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by resturg
    II think the problem may be related to signal strength. I have a favorite restaurant where the signal strength is almost non-existing and strange things start happen. I normally just turn the phone off there and turn it back on when I get half mile down the road. Chatter could be repeatedly trying to establish a connection and causing the drain.
    I think it was a FuseMail problem again. Mine did the same thing for a while yesterday after receiving several days worth of RSS feeds I obtain through them. Immediately after, my battery cover got hot and the battery drain escalated tremendously, just like before. I emailed FuseMail and documented it on the ChatterEmail site forum. A few hours later, the problem went away. I have not heard from FuseMail at all (other than the automated "got your trouble report" response), but it cleared up a few hours after I sent them the email.
    1.71/1.30 ENA, HW A
    T-Mobile Total Internet
    Quote Originally Posted by gregb882
    I think it was a FuseMail problem again. Mine did the same thing for a while yesterday after receiving several days worth of RSS feeds I obtain through them. Immediately after, my battery cover got hot and the battery drain escalated tremendously, just like before. I emailed FuseMail and documented it on the ChatterEmail site forum. A few hours later, the problem went away. I have not heard from FuseMail at all (other than the automated "got your trouble report" response), but it cleared up a few hours after I sent them the email.
    Thanks, that's interesting. I get RSS feeds through Fusemail/Chatter too, so maybe that's related to the problem. It hasn't recurred since the other day, for me, so hopefully fusemail has figured it out.

Fusemail support can be frustrating -- they seem to make arbitrary choices of when to reply. But they did address the problem fairly quickly the first time it happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJH2
    Thanks, that's interesting. I get RSS feeds through Fusemail/Chatter too, so maybe that's related to the problem. It hasn't recurred since the other day, for me, so hopefully fusemail has figured it out.

Fusemail support can be frustrating -- they seem to make arbitrary choices of when to reply. But they did address the problem fairly quickly the first time it happened.
    Sorry I didn't see your reply much sooner, but I agree. The folks at FuseMail seem to jump on problems right away, they just don't communicate with the same sense of expediency as do people like Marc. He just spoils us so.
    1.71/1.30 ENA, HW A
    T-Mobile Total Internet
    I, too now had 2x the issue that the battery was completely dead next monring also fully charged earlier in the day. I am only using a pop3 corporate mail.
    May I suggest to implement another feature which specifies that chatter will turn off if the battery level goes below (maybe configurable or let's say 25%) and then I have to manually trigger an update?
    marc,

Yesterday was my first full day using chatter. It was also the first time my Treo Ever reached 8% battery life by the end of the day. I noticed something that I can't explain.

I'm seeing Chatter sets an alarm for itself every 10 seconds (using palminternals). What's that all about? I'm using only POP3 with SMS triggering (coming from a similar Treohelper-Snappermail configuration), so what need is there for the program to do something that frequently? I'm sure it's having quite the adverse drain on my battery, and I can see the performance hit (a frame drop, stutter) every 'x' number of seconds when I'm playing an intensive game such as bike or die.
    g-funkster -

Yes, Chatter does that, but it's an insignificant cause of battery drain compared to everything else going on. The BIGGEST draws on battery are 1) display and 2) communications - data and/or voice. Everything else is pretty much noise.

Marc
    FWIW, I have a Cingular GSM Treo 650 with Chatter and have indeed experienced turbo battery drain, but only under these two circumstances:

1. While traveling in the middle east, I disconnected Chatter, so as not to incur any excessive roaming data charges. (The dual arrows changed to the little triangle.) After about 12 hours, without making any calls or otherwise using the device, it is typically down to about 20%.

2. While flying, I turn off the radio, of course, and don't use the device at all on the plane. For a long, international flight (~12-14 hours to the places I go), a battery that's fully charged at the airport has about 20% left by the conclusion of the flight. Yes, I know this would seemingly violate the law of conservation of energy. The phone is not at all in use, and it does not appear warm.

It is very weird; *not* using the radio enhances battery drain.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    I tried everything to solve battery drain and random network connections. I keep all my boxes offline and don't need push. I just decided to switch to snappermail and I feel like I got new battery. lots less features, but the random network connection and battery problems are gone
    Please press the THANKS button if you like my posts.
    Hmm, I guess I'll have to experiment some more. I leave my radio off all the time, and battery drain stops dead.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxy
    FWIW, I have a Cingular GSM Treo 650 with Chatter and have indeed experienced turbo battery drain, but only under these two circumstances:

1. While traveling in the middle east, I disconnected Chatter, so as not to incur any excessive roaming data charges. (The dual arrows changed to the little triangle.) After about 12 hours, without making any calls or otherwise using the device, it is typically down to about 20%.
    "dual arrows changed to little triangle."

Are you sure you didn't disconnect from the network (while leaving Chatter still on)? I have "Shutdown ChatterEmail" while keeping the network on, and gotten lots of life.

2. While flying, I turn off the radio, of course, and don't use the device at all on the plane. For a long, international flight (~12-14 hours to the places I go), a battery that's fully charged at the airport has about 20% left by the conclusion of the flight. Yes, I know this would seemingly violate the law of conservation of energy. The phone is not at all in use, and it does not appear warm.

It is very weird; *not* using the radio enhances battery drain.
    Sounds like Chatter is ignoring the radio state in this case. In connection preferences, what is checked?
    Quote Originally Posted by samid
    I tried everything to solve battery drain and random network connections. I keep all my boxes offline and don't need push. I just decided to switch to snappermail and I feel like I got new battery. lots less features, but the random network connection and battery problems are gone
    I needed to put Snapper back on this morning to do some testing for a manager. I forgot how SLLLLOOOOOWWW Snapper was in updating IMAP mailboxes! (And I'm really happy with real-time background push.)
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123