Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Whether "Efficient Sync" helps or not depends mainly on usage patterns (if the server is "noisy", sending data very frequently, I wouldn't expect any improvement). Therefore, some people will find it not very helpful; for others, it can help a great deal.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by joflow
    Thanks for the quick reply Marc. Do you think Efficient Sync will help CDMA battery drain at all? Or should I just invest in one of those extended batteries?
    I use chatter (1.1b10) on a cdma sprint treo 650 in conjunction with a fastmail.fm account. Although I never really had a problem with a "battery drain" to begin with, I have found that using the "efficient sync" option has noticeably improved chatter's battery usage. Actually, the thing I most notice with the efficient sync option selected, is that I miss less phone calls than before.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Add me to the list. I have the latest beta w/ one online IMAP account. When running Chatter overnight last night starting w/ 100% battery, I received no messages and made no phone calls. In eight hours, battery was down to 70%.

The previous night I did the same eight hour test with Chatter disabled (not running in memory), and my battery was at 91% after the test.

Chatter is the only app that wasn't pre-installed on my T650, so I don't think there's anything else on my device that could be causing this problem. Any thoughts?
    JoeSam - I'm not sure I understand what the problem is. It sounds like Chatter used about 20% of the battery in 8 hours with one online account and no messages; I don't think that behavior is unexpected.

Marc
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Marc -

So twice the battery drain while using Chatter and receiving no messages is normal? Do you publish expected battery drain somewhere? I'd be interested if so.
    No, there's no way to determine an expected battery drain; there are WAY too many variables.

Marc
    downloaded the trial of chatter today and by 6 pm with moderate use of the phone, my battery is @ 13 percent. :-( normally i am @ 60 to 70 @ that time of the day.

i turned chatter off @ about 3 due to the battery draining and still noticed that it continued to drain while sitting on my desk.

i use my treo for an alarm and cant take the risk of having it drain over night so unfortunately i am going to remove chatter from my treo and hopefully try it again soon.

the thing that sucks is that i love the interface and capabilities of the product.
    So how many Mailboxes did you create? Of those, how many are "online"? Who is your carrier? Can you send a log of an hours' activity (instructions in the FAQ at www.chatteremail.com)?

Marc
    il look into the log process. but as for the rest of your questions.....

i am the cingular network, i use a cingular branded 650. i have 2 mailboxes, one is gmail and the other is .mac.

i have to admit that i am not a experienced chatter user and some of my settings could have been off but even when i shut the program down (quit), it still drained power rapidly.

i deleted it last night and charged the phone. @ 11pm the phone was 100%, today, upon waking up, it was 24% and that is with chatter deleted. i realize that maybe i should have reset it after the uninstall but i sure am hoping that this issue will go away because i need my phone for more than 9 hours a day.

thank you.
    toby
    ok, that's not right. what version are you using? how often are you checking mail with those accounts?

Marc
    Marc - Unfortunately, I suddenly started seeing a big-time battery drain, too. I've been using Chatter since March and have never experienced this before. I first noticed it because the battery compartment was quite warm - much more so than I ever noticed before. At first, I thought it was a bad battery because it was taking forever to fully charge. So I switched to my spare battery and had the same situation. (Whenever I shut down Chatter, the battery cover cools down.) This morning I shut down Chatter, fully charged the unit (until the green light came on) and disconnected it from the charger at 11:00 am. I then let it run with Chatter connected (by the way, I'm on beta 3b13). By 2:00pm with little email a only a couple of short phone calls that I made, my battery was down to 61% which is 3 times what I normally see. I also missed three calls that went directly to VM during that time (not a problem I've ever had before). From then on, I would shut down Chatter after checking for mail. My set-up hasn't changed in months. I have one primary mailbox and 5 more under it. Three are email accounts, two are RSS feeds, and one is an archive box all through FuseMail. I have just turned on the log function and will forward it to you after I let it go for a while. Do you have any suggestions or do you want to wait for a log? Thanks,
    Unlocked/Unbranded GSM Treo 650
    1.71/1.30 ENA, HW A
    T-Mobile Total Internet
    I too just started having drastic battery drain issues. It started Sunday, and I'm beginning to think it was related to daylight savings.

Observations:
    I've been running 1.1p for a while now. I have two mailboxes synced, and on weekends when I rarely get a mail, I usually have ~40% drain over the whole day. This past Sunday I was at 25% by 3pm. In addition, I noticed it was having trouble connecting, occasionally going through a loop of connect, login, mailbox for a second and then back to connect, etc.

So, Monday I updated to the latest stable release. Connections were no longer looping, but it was holding the connection open (green arrows) almost continuously.

Today, I updated to the latest beta, but that did not resolve my issue. I backed up to my backup from last Saturday (I keep 3 days of backup - how anal is that?), and I still have the issue. If I shut down Chatter, the connection goes back to gray, so I know it's Chatter. I did have date/time on the Treo set to automatic - I've unchecked that, reset, etc, and still have the problem. I can't use Chatter as it stands.

The weird thing is I've done NO software or any other changes on the Treo AT ALL in over a month, and been issue-free. All of a sudden come Sunday I have an issue. Seems an odd coincidence with daylight savings.

Edit: sprint phone, 1.12 rom
    Last edited by airjoe; 11/02/2005 at 07:30 PM.
    There aren't any changes lately that should affect battery usage. A log covering an hour or so is usually sufficient to demonstrate a problem.

Marc
    Log sent; I only included about 5 minutes, cuz I think it shows the problem. I reset the connections a few times, and even shut down Chatter. If you want more duration, I can do it tomorrow when I have a fully charged battery.

Of course, after I sent the log it seems to be acting correct again... Edit: Scratch that, I reset connections for the heckuvit, and it's back to constant connection
    Last edited by airjoe; 11/02/2005 at 08:31 PM.
    You guys should call Fusemail. Their IMAP implementation has gone berserk - it's sending all sorts of spurious information, which is causing Chatter fits. EVERYONE who is seeing battery drain in the past day is a fusemail user!

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    You guys should call Fusemail. Their IMAP implementation has gone berserk - it's sending all sorts of spurious information, which is causing Chatter fits. EVERYONE who is seeing battery drain in the past day is a fusemail user!

Marc
    Being the total techno Neanderthal that I am, what should I ask/tell them? Please give me some verbiage and I will be happy to make contact.

Edit: Nevermind. I sent them an email quoting your comment. Tnx
    Last edited by gregb882; 11/03/2005 at 07:23 AM.
    Unlocked/Unbranded GSM Treo 650
    1.71/1.30 ENA, HW A
    T-Mobile Total Internet
    Yeah...I'm on fusemail, too....and I just started noticing *drastic* battery drain over the last couple of days.
    Hi Marc,

I'd like to work with you to get this resolved, can you let me know what IMAP commands are being issued and what bad info is being sent back?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter

Marc
    Hey Marc,
    Having the exact same issue. Is there a setting I can change in Chatter that will help until Fusemail's problems are resolved? Will taking the online mailboxes offline and using a scheduled sync work as a temporary solution?
    Rich

EDIT: By the way, I posted links back to here and to the Chatter forums on the Bugs forum at Fusemail.
    I sent email via the ChatterEmail site; let me know if you didn't get it (my email is support@chatteremail.com).

Marc
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast