1.    #1  
    Up until now, I always thought a Treo would be a great thing to have in a news crisis. With it's camera, video, internet, and phone capabilities, I figured it would be a lifeline to the rest of the world in case of emergency.

Boy was I wrong. Take a look at the devistation of New Orleans, and it's clear that not only could the cell itself not get charged for lack of electriciy, but all the "cell phones are down" according to news reports as well.

I hope that all of you reading this have taken the $30 bucks you would have used to get Pocket Tunes 3.1 and instead use it to help someone that has lost their home, family, and so much more that is that much more important by giving to the Red Cross.

LS
    "You don't learn to frolic, you release the frolic within." - The Naked Dancing Llama at frolic.org
    I saw a lot of early news reports that had video recorded from mobile phones. I've also seen plenty of mobile phone pictures. I would say it has helped, although with the power being down, you're right, it can only help for so long.
    Quote Originally Posted by sam-i-am
    I would say it has helped, although with the power being down, you're right, it can only help for so long.

The phone itself can last for days with this and a 24-pack of AAs. Of course, if the tower is down...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-Extender...QQcmdZViewItem
    I live in Miami, and thanks to my treo, I was able to get up-to-date info on the storm track, doppler in my area, and news from where my family lives, since I was without power. When morning came, I recharged it in my car, and used it he next day to take pictures and survey damage in my neighborhood. Luckily, the towers in my are survived the impact.
    -------------
    NUKE
    T650 - FW 1.31, SW 1.15G
    Thats what car chargers are for!
    What if your car is no longer there?
    Unlocked P1 T650 + 12" Powerbook + Scion xA = Happiness
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Maybe get one of those solar-powered chargers?
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    Yeah, cell phones are only good as long as they're powered up and cell towers are working.

In the case of Katrina when EVERYTHING goes down, then you're left with satellite (if you happen to carry a sat-phone around with you, or maybe even a hand-held CB radio. Use emergency channel 9.

In a case where other frequencies are down, CB acts similar to shortwave - that is IF there's anyone to receive the calls.

Greg

unlocked/unbranded GSM / T-Mobile
    In an emergency nothing beats Ham Radio for communications. My rig is powered by a deep cycle battery that will last for days, and I could charge my Treo 650 from the cigarette lighter I installed in the battery box. Ham RAdio can reach out for long distances, far superior to a CB, and for an antenna a simple wire can be used (proper length of course). I am sure Hams all over the Gulf Coast area are helping out in this time of need. In fact we practice for this every year at Field Day where we set up in remote locations and operate from battery power just in case the need ever arises.

KF4YUN
    Samsung SCH3500 - Sanyo 4900 - Samsung I500 - Treo 650, and loving it!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nuke
    I live in Miami, and thanks to my treo, I was able to get up-to-date info on the storm track, doppler in my area, and news from where my family lives, since I was without power. When morning came, I recharged it in my car, and used it he next day to take pictures and survey damage in my neighborhood. Luckily, the towers in my are survived the impact.
    Funny, I did the same thing. I was without power for 3 days and the Treo helped me maintain my sanity.
    related:
    Hurricane Katrina scanner links

http://www.radioreference.com/wiki/i...ricane_Katrina
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Here in Miami we lost power for 3 days. The Treo showed radar images throughout the storm (Katrina went right over my house, eye and all, fortunately it was still a baby Category 1 hurricane then...but already its pressure was very low...meaning it could easily strenghten, like it did, to a 2, a 3, a 4, and even to a 5!)

We lost corded phone service, TV, power, but the Treo kept working just fine. I used the Treo to stay in touch, to find a generator for power, to keep in touch with the weather service (a hurricane can come back as easily as it can move away...if you plot 100 hurricane tracks they are completely random). The Treo even played music, took pictures, send and received email, it was great!
    You can charge your treo battery with any 12V car battery and a car charger (without the car). All you need is two wires to connect the battery leads to the car charger leads. You can even use any other household batteries (House Alarm are 12V), an array of AA batteries, etc. Even though it sounds like alot of effort, when your cell phone works and your landlines don't, it's you only way in getting in touch with people (well, except screaming & smoke signals). I am VERY GLAD that I had my Treo with Me.
    -------------
    NUKE
    T650 - FW 1.31, SW 1.15G
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    The phone itself can last for days with this and a 24-pack of AAs. Of course, if the tower is down...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-Extender...QQcmdZViewItem
    Newbie question: how would I power my Treo 650 with AAs?