1.    #1  
    Had the Treo at the beach, in a closed ziploc and protected from sun. Took it out very briefly with no apparent exposure to sand or moisture.

Now... all the PDA functions work fine. Data services (Blazer, Snapper, SMS) work fine. It produces sound normally through the speaker on the back, and rings when someone dials it. But whether I answer or initiate the call, I can't hear anything from the other party, and the other party can't hear me.

What could be causing this? What can I do about it? At the moment I have it in (with battery and SD card removed) a paper bag with some uncooked rice, in hope of absorbing any moisture, but I really don't think it got wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by gellmanb
    Had the Treo at the beach, in a closed ziploc and protected from sun. Took it out very briefly with no apparent exposure to sand or moisture.

Now... all the PDA functions work fine. Data services (Blazer, Snapper, SMS) work fine. It produces sound normally through the speaker on the back, and rings when someone dials it. But whether I answer or initiate the call, I can't hear anything from the other party, and the other party can't hear me.

What could be causing this? What can I do about it? At the moment I have it in (with battery and SD card removed) a paper bag with some uncooked rice, in hope of absorbing any moisture, but I really don't think it got wet.
    Try the new version of VolumeCare and use the MIC boost. See if this will enable the MIC/handset speaker. Its a long shot but it might work.

Jeff
  3.    #3  
    thanks, Jeff, I'll try. Since you've learned the guts of the sound hardware so well, can you imagine a physical reason why everything else would be fine but there'd be no handset sound at all and no audible mic???
    Well this
    thanks, Jeff, I'll try. Since you've learned the guts of the sound hardware so well, can you imagine a physical reason why everything else would be fine but there'd be no handset sound at all and no audible mic???
    Well this could be a variation of the hardware failure in the headset jack. I have seen several different reports of speaker loss when the headset jack becomes broken. Reports are that this headset jack fails quite easily since the manufacturing process did not re-enforce the electrical connection of the jack. So any pressure on the jack can cause this electrical conneciton to become broken inside of the Treo. When this happens, the Treo thinks that a headset is plugged in perminantly. Well when this happens, it kills the handset and internal MIC.

Jeff
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    gellmanb, exact same thing happened to me few days ago at the beach. I fixed it by plugging in my headset, talking on it for a few minutes, then unplugged it, and the speaker and mic worked again normally. Again, as stated in this thread, probably something weird with the headset jack.
    My guess is also a failed headset jack. Try a hard reset. If the problem is still there than get your HW replaced
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    How does the headset jack get broken? Better not to use a wired headset to prevent damage?
    By the way, is the frail headset jack related to production build? The problematic ones for unlocked gsm serial number starts from PTTG01 (halradio problems, intermittent mic, etc) to 02. When I had an exchange, I insisted on a 03 for my replacement which was adviced by Palm Asia tech support. PTTG04 is the latest one available.
    Last edited by MFB; 09/03/2005 at 08:59 AM.
  8.    #8  
    Success! First, I noticed it still worked fine with the Palm earbud/mic. Magic, plugging and unplugging the earbud (the first time) didn't solve the problem. Neither did updating my VolumeCare (by itself). But, after updating VC and plugging/unplugging the earbud again, everything was fine. I have a feeling I may be in for a replacement, though, if the headset jack is indeed wobbly.
    The moral of the story ... don't take your Treo to the beach!
    --
    j.
    Motorola 1100 (Beige!) -> Nokia 1610 -> Nokia 2110i -> Ericsson GH688 (x3) -> Motorola StarTac Xe (x4) -> Motorola ? (some old CDMA brick) -> Ericsson T28 (+ Palm V) -> Ericsson T10 (+ Palm V) -> Nokia 6210 (+ Palm Vx) -> Sony Ericsson T610 (+ Palm Vx) -> Pa1mOne Treo 650
    yesterday.. out of the blue... my handset speaker went dead.. I rarely use a wired plug into the treo& not for along time.. so now I'm stuck using my bt headset or the crappy spkr phone until I get a refurb from sprint sometime at the end of the week... for a treo still under warranty! incidentally.. this happened right after makin adjustments in volume care that weren't significant I thought... I have only since got occasional pop/sound out of ear speaker.. likely a harware issue.
    cheers!
    bleh...
  11.    #11  
    Damn. Worked for a day, now quit again. I guess that's consistent with bad wiring in the headset jack. Time to see if I can get Verizon to exchange it.

And honestly, Ojjjj...., I don't think it was the beach. It was in a ziploc in the shade the whole time.
    I just had a similar problem (but I've never plugged anything into the headphone jack nor gone to the beach). Difference was, my 650 earpiece speaker would always work for EXACTLY ONE RING then both the earpiece speaker AND the mic would go dead. Try a hard reset and see what happens. My story is here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...postcount=1193

13.    #13  
    Interesting, MrEd. Will try when I have time.

Jeff Gibson -- is it possible there's some sort of software "switch" telling the Treo the jack is plugged in, and that you can use your knowledge of the sound hardware to write a utility to force the Treo to turn the phone speaker and the mic back on?
  14.    #14  
    Update: After asking me to soft reset, which solved nothing, Verizon agreed to exchange my phone for a factory refurb. This was done thru my employer's corporate account.