Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    So I gave in and bought one... The box had pictures of the silver unit, with no indication that it would be any other color... To my dismay the unit was a dark blue color meant to match the Sprint Blue Treo. Oh well - no biggie.

In any case, I installed the software, ran the firmware update and tried to connect to a public WiFi hotspot.

The device seems to be recognized, because I can get into the settings and everything, but when I try to connect, it gives me this error -

~ Trying to open network connection, failed to attach.

Sometimes I also get the error -

~ Access to Wi-Fi adapter failed, Retry?

I'm no wiz when it comes to wireless networking, so this may not be the device for me. I'll try to enter the settings manually for my WLAN at home - hopefully that'll work.
    Sorry, I was away for a few days. I did pick it up at the local CompUSA (in NYC). The CompUSA website is wrong on two counts: that it's coming soon and that it's for the 600. In fact, on the box itself there is a checkbox to indicate whether the enclosed unit is designed for the 600 and 650, and all the ones I saw in store were marked for 650.

By the way, I had the same Failed to Open USB port error until I installed the new battery cover and hitched the "claws" of the unit into the cover. I suppose that provided the necessary connection. It has been pretty reliable since.
    JoeyC:

Regarding your last comment about download speeds.
    EDIT: Some updated observations:

- 50K/sec was too high--I timed how long it took to download 100K from CNN, but I think I counted too fast. 25K/sec sustained is definite, maybe with higher peak bursts...
    Did you make any adjustments or configuration changes to get to 25K/sec speeds. The most I am getting is about 570kbits/sec? Did you perform any tests on http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed/?
    Hi Butch, well 25KB/sec is 200Kb/sec, so you're doing better than me! The quality of the network also plays a role. Also:

* I've been trying Xiino for the past week, and it's generally faster and less likely to choke on large downloads, but it's less stable (causes resets occasionally) and does not look as nice as Blazer. The search for a perfect browser continues...

* Dropped connections are an increasing concern, sometimes the connection will be lost with no warning. Hoping a software/firmware fix will address this soon.

* Is there any case which fits the combined Treo/sled?

One final note--the new upcoming Treo 700w apparently can use SD WiFi cards without trouble. What was that, Palm, about no drivers for the 650?
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    will they ever come out drivers for 650 to use wifi? just wondering. i love anything that can go online for free
    JoeyC,

Sorry for the confusion... I need to sharpen my pencil on the math. Thanks for the clarification.

I also use the Xiino browser because downloads are quicker, but you are right, it is a little quirky.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    so after a few weeks of use with the enfora sled, how would you rate the browser experience?

does it dramatically beat xiino on pcs vision? is it every bit as fastas the tungsten C? faster?

just curious. because I've been going back & forth about taking the plunge here or waiting.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    The Sled is definitely faster than GPRS and reverse BT DUN, and probably any other 2G tech, although I have no experience with Verizon and Sprint. Browsing is better, but there are problems with dropped connections and frozen downloads. I don't know if they are specific to the sled or not, I suspect the former is and the latter is inherent to browsing on PalmOS. No info about other devices, sorry.

If you have an unlimited data plan, the sled is mostly extraneous. If not, it's worth it if you have good access to WiFi networks. I love it because it allows me to ditch the laptop while on campus, but that's specific to me. And despite recent events, I doubt we will ever get SD wifi cards to work with the 650, so the sled is the only game in town. The other issue is its size and weight, but because I've left it in ever since buying it, my muscles must have developed, since it doesn't feel too bad now! So it's worth it if your situation is relevant. Hope this helps.

(p.s. I typed this post entirely on my Treo at home--quite the effort, but I had to do it at least once! )

EDIT: Rereading your post, I probably didn't address your questions in enough detail. Web surfing with the sled is generally very good with low-bandwith text-oriented sites in terms of speed. Formatting wise it is hit or miss, but 320x320 is what it is (if you can tolerate small fonts in Blazer, it helps). Larger, content-rich sites are probably going to be more dicey. For example, CNN.com seems to crash Xiino, I don't know why. I have read of others who have successfully used the sled with multimedia-oriented options like streaming music on Pocket Tunes, but I haven't done so myself. Larger webpages will be slower, but I suspect it's due more to rendering issues rather than download speeds.

I suspect PDA-optimized sites will be very nice with the sled, but they were ok even with non-wifi connections. Some regular sites are tolerable, even good. As long as you keep your expectations realistic, it approaches being a good experience. But visually it's still no comparision to surfing on a laptop, as I am now doing.
    Last edited by JoeyC; 09/26/2005 at 08:43 PM.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    thanks, joeyc. great post. very helpful! I've got an unlimited data plan with sprint right now.. I've been reading about the periodic dropped connections so I've kind of stayed away from the purchase up until now.
    I agree that the sled is a fantastic option if you don't have an unlimited data plan - it frees you of having to worry about usage penalties.
    I think I will hold off for now, but I agree its a great solution depending on the person's data plan. thanks for the feedback, joeyC. very much appreciated.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    if i use the sled with verizon do i get charged for data? sorry if this was already talked about. i guess bottom line for me is surf the web without data charges.
    thanks,janell
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeuel
    if i use the sled with verizon do i get charged for data? sorry if this was already talked about. i guess bottom line for me is surf the web without data charges.
    thanks,janell
    No.
    I got the Enfora WI-Fi sled for my Treo 600 and was able to connect to my home wireless network. However, when I try to use Blazer to access the web, I get data timeout. Any ideas why? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by yaga
    I got the Enfora WI-Fi sled for my Treo 600 and was able to connect to my home wireless network. However, when I try to use Blazer to access the web, I get data timeout. Any ideas why? Thanks.
    If you go back a page in this thread you will find a message I posted detailing a problem that many (if not all) Palm devices with Wi-Fi capability have in getting a valid DNS address. Check and see if you are getting a valid DNS address, without it Blazer will time out.
    There is a new software and firmware upgrade available for the Enfora Wifi sled (SW 3.1.11 and FW 3.04). So far a day after the upgrade it is sooooo much better. Connections are quicker, more stable, and more persistent. Also, the unit isn't getting as hot as it use too. I read the release notes and it appears they addressed some of the issues with the SSID. Maybe the unit isn't work as hard as it use too. We'll see...
    Thanks for the info Butch!

I have installed the update, and it's definitely fixed the problem with multiword SSIDs I had previously. Still need to test more to see if connections are better, but at least they're not worse!
    How is the sled's battery work?
    Will it 'add' power to treo's battery?
    I read in treostore that the sled can last for 24hrs for data connection. Is it true?
    piterh

How is the sled's battery work?
    Will it 'add' power to treo's battery?
    I read in treostore that the sled can last for 24hrs for data connection. Is it true?
    The sled's battery is separate from the Treo's battery and is self-contained within the unit. The sled's battery is used for Wifi power only. You can surf 2-3 hours on a full charge and holds 24-36 hours on standby. The sled does not use any additional battery power from the Treo (over and above the use of the Treo's battery power for Blazer, VersaMail, and other internet-enabled applications).
    What if treo battery only left 10-20% but the sled still full?
    So what you mean is the battery works separately, right?
    Piterh,

That's correct. You cannot use the sled's battery to power the treo, and vice versa.
    just wanted to say...it"s great. used the enfora (with the firmware upgrade) today for the 1st time and it worked like a charm. very fast. that and the tomtom5 gps bundle are my favorite new assoc/apps

alan