Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    I just received the sled for the 650 today. I was not excited to find out that I already needed an upgrade to the software and the firmware. Before the upgrades, the sled would not connect under WEP. It does now, but it will not retrieve an IP address, find my router IP or set the DNSes. I plugged values in and now it works. I swear, it seems faster than my lifedrive.

To those with the no respond problem...I fixed mine...I opened up the unit, and then pulled the plug on the battery. Fixed it. I haven't had to reset it again, yet...but then it's only been 6 hours.

More later....
    Quote Originally Posted by red-beard
    I just received the sled for the 650 today. I was not excited to find out that I already needed an upgrade to the software and the firmware. Before the upgrades, the sled would not connect under WEP. It does now, but it will not retrieve an IP address, find my router IP or set the DNSes. I plugged values in and now it works. I swear, it seems faster than my lifedrive.

To those with the no respond problem...I fixed mine...I opened up the unit, and then pulled the plug on the battery. Fixed it. I haven't had to reset it again, yet...but then it's only been 6 hours.

More later....
    How did you do it? I cannot seem to pry the plastic apart after I take the Allen screw out.

EDIT: On further reflection, I just put the screw back and didn't try anymore. I'm going to return this POS immediately and need to keep it in pristine condition. This is really something, a product failing within the first hour of use. Enfora either a) knew about this power issues and decided to release it anyway, or b) didn't know about it and has really bad QA. Either way, it doesn't say anything good about the company. I'm going to try one more time; if that doesn't work, I guess I'll wait for the next incarnation of Treo and see if it has Wi-Fi.

-Sketchy
    Last edited by sketchy9; 09/13/2005 at 08:16 AM.
    For those with Verizon Service, does the WIFI Sled use the or make use of the megabyte/kilobyte usage charges????? I am reluctant to purchase the sled because of the excess charges that I can't really pay for. Let me know anybody...
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VHunterG
    For those with Verizon Service, does the WIFI Sled use the or make use of the megabyte/kilobyte usage charges?????
    Of course not.
    The connector on the 600 sled is straight, not sloped.
    Last edited by johnston21; 09/13/2005 at 11:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnston21
    Got the sled delivered this AM for my Bell Mobility CDMA Treo 600 (which is being replaced under warrently re: battery issue). All seems ok. Can surf using Mobile Web (or Web Pro which I prefer). But, when using Mail to send/receive messages, the Palm "Mail" App is using my carrier's 1x service (even when both Primary and Fallback are set to the Enfora). I cannot see where in the Mail preferences you would need to specify which connection you want Mail to use. Is this proper? Do I need to be using webmail to access my ISP email account? Otherwise, so far so good. I've emailed Enfora Support at: WiFi@Enfora.com
    Just wondering if your sled is gray and as thick as it appears in the 600 photo, or is it like the one in the 650 photo - black and thinner?
    Thx,
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    The 600 sled is silvery blue. It's thinner than expected, and lite in weight. Hard to tell from the TC pics.
    Last edited by johnston21; 09/13/2005 at 11:16 AM.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Just wondering if anyone is having problems establishing a connection with their Wi-Fi router. I recently upgraded to a Linksys MIMO. The Sled can see the router but cannot "associate" and therefore, wont connect. I brought my old Netgear out of the tech box morgue and the sled has no problems connecting to it. The linksys has considerably more configurability and I have insured that the RTS and CTS settings are correct...
    Quote Originally Posted by pianoman262
    Just wondering if anyone is having problems establishing a connection with their Wi-Fi router. I recently upgraded to a Linksys MIMO. The Sled can see the router but cannot "associate" and therefore, wont connect. I brought my old Netgear out of the tech box morgue and the sled has no problems connecting to it. The linksys has considerably more configurability and I have insured that the RTS and CTS settings are correct...
    Is the name of your SSID one word or two? I had the same problem, and I'm not sure why but when I changed my SSID from "My WLAN" to just 'WLAN' it worked. Perhaps it doesn't like spaces in the SSID.

I'll leave more detailed comments later but for now--it's great!
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyC
    Is the name of your SSID one word or two? I had the same problem, and I'm not sure why but when I changed my SSID from "My WLAN" to just 'WLAN' it worked. Perhaps it doesn't like spaces in the SSID.

I'll leave more detailed comments later but for now--it's great!
    Nope - SSID is one word. I disabled both WEP and Mac Addressing restrictions just for testing - neither helped! I am able to also connect to a Cisco that hides its SSID - so that works!
    Some additional comments:

It was mentioned earlier than when it works it's great, and I would concur. Downloading is quite speedy, sometimes up to 50K/sec. maybe more. Much faster than Bluetooth reverse DUN (which was noticeably faster than GPRS). It's more delays in rendering pages that slow down the device than loading. Any page over 200K, like CNN.com's frontpage, is going to be slow--and may cause the connection to conk out.

The main problem is consistently making and maintaining connections. I've disabled power save mode, and I don't know if it makes a difference--generally, as long as the Treo is on, or data is downloaded at regular intervals, the connection will be maintained. I think the longer you surf, the more likely for whatever reason the connection will drop. This may not be as bad as it sounds, however, since I don't think the Treo is suitable for long internet browsing sessions anyway--whether by wifi, GPRS or other, it's best for quick e-mail checks and web sessions.

The other issue is heat--the device does get warm after a while, and that's never a good sign for electronics. One thing I recommend is if you're not going to be browsing, to make sure the device is off, that the LED is blank, not yellow. Otherwise it will definitely get warm. Again, this is not useful if you use it continuously, but I think it's the best way. i haven't checked the battery life, but it probably will still be significantly better than any SDIO solution could have been (sigh).

As for connecting, it wasn't perfectly parallel like mentioned earlier. The connection seemed firm, however. I definitely would want to exercise care in plugging and unplugging, all that mechanical stress must add up in the end. Due to my situation, I think I can leave the Treo in its cradle most of the time (see below).

Finally, the form factor is actually pretty nice--the thickness is not nearly as bad as I feared it would be, judging by past photos which may have been for the 600 model. However, it is very heavy, which takes away one of the Treo's great advantages over other PDA phones--size and weight. Now it's a brick. I don't know if there are any cases out there that would fit it, so for now I carry it around in a cloth pouch. Forget about belt clip ons, even before it was almost too heavy--now, no way. Finally, the dark blue-green color is ok, but I really would have loved to have the silver!

Despite the shortcomings, the ability to surf the net by wifi is a huge plus. The caveats I would make are 1: I've only used it a short time and it is possible I will run into the problems other people have mentioned. 2: I am probably an ideal customer for the sled, as I work at a university with ubiquitous wifi access and don't use my phone function regularly during the day, so I can leave it in the sled most of the time. To the extent you don't fit this profile, the sled will be less useful to you. It will still have utility, however. Ideally, the next Treo will have built-in wifi plus the option for external battery packs.

Hope this helps!

-----

EDIT: Some updated observations:

- 50K/sec was too high--I timed how long it took to download 100K from CNN, but I think I counted too fast. 25K/sec sustained is definite, maybe with higher peak bursts. Don't know if it's faster than EDGE or 1xRTT, but it's definitely faster than GPRS or Bluetooth reverse DUN. It's certainly fast with treo.treocentral.com! Would love to hear more about experiences with other browsers like Xiino (sp?) and Opera.

- Some of the problems of logging on for me were probably not the sled's fault, but the fact that I tried to use it in a 500 seat lecture hall. Now I know why so many students whip out their laptops at the beginning of lecture--to get first dibbs on wireless connections! Certainly at home there is no problem logging on, although I have not tested it with WEP encryption. One repeated cause of connection drops: in the middle of a long download Blazer usually pauses to render (after 200-400K downloaded), and if you exit Blazer and, say, try to check email, the connection eventually conks out.

- I think 2+ hours of straight usage is reasonable to expect, although the battery indicator is not reliable IMO. With many portable electronics, I've found real continuous battery life is usually 2/3 of stated maximum.

- They say wearing black makes you look thin, and I think the dark color of the 650 sled attests to that! Although it's probably the same size, the silver sled 'becomes' part of the phone and makes it look larger, while in the blue one the phone stands out, and the sled sort of disappears from view.

By and large my conclusions still stand. Having wireless internet access at least doubles the functionality and usefulness of the Treo, and it's nice for those that don't have unlimited data plans (like my pathetic 512K / month for $9 Media Basic ) to have another option. If you do have such a plan, I would concede that the sled really doesn't offer anything extra.
    Last edited by JoeyC; 09/13/2005 at 10:40 PM. Reason: New information
    I noticed that one of the pictures on the store site has a sled in Silver. Will this color be available later?

Awesome review.
    Thanks RD. Some final observations:

- You can't use the sled when the phone is off--you have to turn it on before you can connect by wifi. I don't know if there's a fix to this. Couldn't do this with BT reverse DUN either, so I guess not. [EDIT: Actually, you can use VersaMail w/o the phone being on, but not Blazer. Perhaps Cingular, like with Sprint albeit not to the same degree, locks it to the carrier as a means to encourage using their data services?]

- Normal headsets will fit in the headphone jack--actually, I think it's just the same jack, accessed through a space in the sled--but the Palm 2.5-3.5mm adapter is too thick to fit, as is another straight adapter I have, so I need to find another alternative. [EDIT: looks like the Seido Stereo Adapter would work] On the plus side, using the sled's AC adapter is much better than the Palm one, since it sticks out the side and not the bottom, and is a much more secure fit. Is there any place to get another one?

- One annoying bug: I can't seem to connect to access points whose SSID does not consist of a single word. I couldn't access my home network when it was called 'My WLAN', but renaming it to 'WLAN' worked. Looking at the WiFi Manager software, it seems to truncate the space when you save a profile, and in so doing the sled can no longer find the AP (since it's been renamed!) This is extremely annoying, and they need to fix this ASAP. This also may be a reason for connection problems, especially where the network is listed but it says 'AP out of range' or so.

My speculation is that the lack of preemptive multitasking for PalmOS is the root cause for slowdowns and connection drops, especially when I switch from Blazer to Versamail because I've lost patience with a stalled download! The slowness of changing apps, and the occasional freezes, is reminiscent of Internet access in the Win95/MacOS 7.6 era, which of course is technically about where OS5.4 is!

Overall I am still extremely satisfied with this product, assuming no other breakdowns and/or bugs happen from now on. Just hope this information is helpful for everyone.

Happy sledding!
    Last edited by JoeyC; 09/15/2005 at 01:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyC
    Thanks RD. Some final observations:

- You can't use the sled when the phone is off--you have to turn it on before you can connect by wifi. I don't know if there's a fix to this. Couldn't do this with BT reverse DUN either, so I guess not. [EDIT: Actually, you can use VersaMail w/o the phone being on, but not Blazer. Perhaps Cingular, like with Sprint albeit not to the same degree, locks it to the carrier as a means to encourage using their data services?]
    Blazer insists on the cell phone being on with my unlocked Treo on T-Mobile, so it's not a carrier restriction. Probably an OS call specified in the Blazer app.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Late yesterday I recieved a replacement Sled from Enfora. The assessment that the problem in some of them connecting to the T650 was do to a canted connector seems correct. The connector in the new unit sits much straighter (more parallel to the the base) than in the old. After charging the new unit I put it on the T650 and it seemed to seat much better and immediately gave a good connection. According to the note from Enfora they are aware of the unit getting warm in extended use but that will not do any harm to it or the T650. They also are contacting their supplier and are doing something about the flaking coating on the power switch. This problem is more a cosmetic issue than one affecting the utility of the Sled.

Some additional observations:

The Enfora Sled has a radio that is definitely less sensitive than the one in my 17" Apple PowerBook. This may be due to the radio used, the antenna used, or both. But the bottom line is that the PowerBook operates well at over twice the distance from the Linksys router I use at home. Also it appears to be less immune to interference from devices (such as wireless telephones) which share the same 2.9 Ghz band. If you have such a device the only fix is to turn it off or to replace it with one in another band (5.8 Ghz in the case of the wireless telephones). This lower sensitivity along with the lower noise immunity goes a long way explaining some of the difficulties in getting a connection with the Sled.

There is another difficulty that may be preventing some users from getting a connection. This difficulty is not unique to the Sled but is shared by at least two other Palm devices that I know of (Sony Clie UX60 and the Enfora Portfolio and I would suspect Palm's on Wi-Fi card as well). The problem is that when making a DHCP connection with certain APs the palm device fails to aquire a valid DNS address. Among the APs which do this are those made by 2Wire, Dell and Dlink, in some cases this can be fixed by getting the operator to change the configuration of the AP, not usually an option. If you are having difficulty getting a working connection with your Enfora you can check to see if this is the cause by checking the Network Information in the Wi-Fi Manager after the Enfora is "Attached" to the AP. If the address of the primary DNS server looks very much like that of the router eg if the router address is:

and the primary DNS address is:

192.168.nnn.nnn

and the secondary DNS address is

you do not have a valid DNS address and even if you can create a connection you will get nothing. A typical error message in VersaMail will be "cannot resolve Mail.somewhere.com. Blazer just sits there and does nothing.

There is a fix, though a bit complicated and has to be applied each time you encounter the problem. To use it you will need to know a valid DNS address to begin with.

First make a DHCP connection with the AP. This will create a lease on a IP address which will be good for your device for a period of time usually somewhere between a hour and 24 hours. In the Wi-Fi Manager get the Network Information and note the IP address assigned and the address of the router. With this information create a Profile with a static IP Address using the IP address you just got the lease on, the address of the router and your DNS address. Now make a connection to the AP. Note: this all must be done before the lease created in the DHCP connection expires. In other words a Profile created this way on Monday will likely not work on Tuesday! A real PITA

It gets worse. If you use this trick after you end the session with the AP and you want to make another connection particularly another DHCP connection with another AP you must do the following:

Open Pref on the T650, select Network, select Details, select Advanced, select Modify. Now uncheck IP Address Automatic. When you do this you will see the IP address you used as the IP address in your static IP profile, such as:

Clear the address so that it looks like this:

___.___.___.___

do not set it to

or you will really muck things up. Now check IP Address Automatic and quit out of Preferences.

The problem is that the T650 remembers the IP address used as a static IP and use it to the exclusion of any other until it is cleared. I have suggested to Enfora that perhaps the Wi-Fi Manager might do the clearing (they are aware of this anomaly in the Palm OS) or perhaps one of our more programming savey users could write an app to do the clearing. But this problem along with the one the routers create by not providing a valid set of DNS addresses makes using the T650 as a Wi-Fi device some what less than easy.

In the mean time I am working on another work arround to the DNS problem
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    I just got my replacement sled today and just like Deputy above, I noted that the connector is more level on the sled. It connects immediately with my Treo. I will now try out the wifi in my library and also in different airports when I travel this weekend.

Now, I hope someone can come up with a sled friendly case for my Treo.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    Just picked up the sled today at CompUSA (funny, on the website it stills says "Coming Soon" when checking in-store status, but there were actually several in stock on the shelf at the store). After spending several agonizing minutes not getting a connection until I received I had to use the provided battery cover to ensure a good fit, all went smoothly after that. Fitting the Treo onto the sled was actually pretty straightforward for me. As for the Wifi, works as expected, I've used it with Versamail and Web Pro and Blazer. Moreover, it actually works perfectly with MobiTV! Size/thickness do make it impractical to leave the sled on throughout the day, but I'm pretty satisfied and think something like this will come in handy.
    Greendrinks, did you find the sled for the 650 at CompUsa? I see only the 600 sled on the website from here in California, and of course, "coming soon" at the stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by greendrinks
    Just picked up the sled today at CompUSA (funny, on the website it stills says "Coming Soon" when checking in-store status, but there were actually several in stock on the shelf at the store). After spending several agonizing minutes not getting a connection until I received I had to use the provided battery cover to ensure a good fit, all went smoothly after that. Fitting the Treo onto the sled was actually pretty straightforward for me. As for the Wifi, works as expected, I've used it with Versamail and Web Pro and Blazer. Moreover, it actually works perfectly with MobiTV! Size/thickness do make it impractical to leave the sled on throughout the day, but I'm pretty satisfied and think something like this will come in handy.
    Treo 750 and iPhone.
    I seem to be having the same trouble as others with the sled. For some reason when I select the wi-fi application from my Cingular Treo 650, a message pops up saying “Failed to Open USB Port, Connect or Power On the Wi-Fi Adapter.” I have followed the directions exactly and tried almost everything but nothing works. I let the sled charge for a full night, I installed the latest Wi-Fi adapter manager (version 3.1.8) from your website, I also installed the Wi-Fi adapter upgrade (3.0.3), I know the power is on because there is a solid yellow light, and I know I have the sled secured on the phone because when I plug the sled in to charge it, the phone charges as well. I know there is nothing wrong with the port on the bottom of my phone because when I hotsync with the USB cable, everything works fine.

I have tried contacting enfora mulitple times but no response from them and I have tried contacting The Treo Central Store (where I bought the unit) but haven't heard back from them either. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    The only suggestion is to double check that the connection is secure--is it straight in and snug, and does it connect to the new battery door securely? If so, then you've done everything you can and therefore you must have a defective unit. Keep trying to contact Enfora and/or TC, the email address is wifi@enfora.com

Good luck!