Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    It's been more than an hour since I put the enfora sled back in the box because it just quit working...actually, never worked for me. The sled remains warm to touch. I think this is a manufacturer defect...possible wiring problems? Maybe it shorted out itself?
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Well, I have contacted Enfora and they are going to give me an RMA on Monday. I really think I had a defective unit. The sled won't connect with my Treo and it gets really hot/warm to touch, then the power button will not respond at all. This morning, the unit cooled down, I push the power button and it turn the unit on again but still cannot connect with my Treo.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    yep, that unit's a stinker
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Yup, I really think so. That is why I am glad Enfora has stepped up to the plate and quickly offered to RMA this unit. I hope the new unit will work.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Doc,
    Try this.

1)Put the unit on charge for at least another two hours totally dettached from the Treo.

2)Re-attach the Enfora to the Treo. When you think you have the unit completely attached slip your thumbnail under the curved part of the attaching button and pull out. It will probably move out about 1/10 inch and act like a jack to force the Treo down just a bit. That bit is the differance between have contact and not having contact.

Not the best design in the world. But it worked for me. More comments later I have to go out for a few hours.
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Nope, it still didn't work. Did you turn the sled on first after attaching to Treo and before opening the wifi app? Sigh, maybe I just got a dud.
    Last edited by DocGo; 09/10/2005 at 04:43 PM.
    The Doctor is IN!
    I just got home. I thought it obvious but, yes, I powered on the Enfora before I accessed the Wi-Fi Manager. Indeed there my be a particular order in which you do things.

A)Turn on the Treo

B)If it is not already turned on turn on the Phone

C)Turn on the Wi-Fi sled

D)Start the Wi-Fi Manager.

As was noted previously in the thread if the Treo times out and turns off the Enfora turns off as well. This is a function of the power manager in the Enfora.
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Still no go. Sigh, will be waiting for a new unit from Enfora.
    The Doctor is IN!
    If anyone has this with Sprint, What browser are you using??
    Some observations. When the Enfora works it works great. Speed is excellent compared to a GPRS connection. I was able to download 64 email messages with VersaMail in under a minute (VersaMail is set to download only the first 5kb of messages longer than 5kb). I was also able to surf the net including visiting TreoCentral and viewing a number of pages which in general each exceeded 300kb in size using Blazer. BTW Blazer's display of TreoCentral was generally good though I would be loath to enter any messages using the Treo's keyboard.

There are some real issues with the device. First and foremost is, for me at least, getting the Enfora to connect to the Treo is extremely difficult. This may be a real limitation of the connector that is designed into the T650. Read my previous posts about how I finally achieved getting a connection. The jacking process seems to work about 4 out of 5 tries. I am concerned that there may come a time it won't work, but I also must admit that there is every possibility that as the unit is exercised connection will become more reliable. Time will only tell.

I am also more than a little upset with the silver colored coating flaking from the power button. Enfora really should reconsider the need for the coating. The power button with remnants of the coating still attached makes the unit look cheap if nothing else.

Attempting to create a profile in the Wi-Fi manager with manual IP settings causes the T650 to do a soft reset and does not save the profile. This means that if you have manually configure your device to use a access point (and I must to use the one in our church/school network) you cannot, or at least I have been unable too. This is an issue that probably can be addressed in a future release of the Wi-Fi manager.

The unit (or atleast the one I have) has problems with the power manager. Looking back over thread there are two reports other than my own of the Enfora going into a state were it will not turn back on again. Letting the unit rest for 10 - 12 hours and it seems to recover albeit necessary to again charge the battery. Today I saw what I think may be clue to this bizarre behavior. While looking at the screen that shows the initial connect data the battery charge seemed to drop from fully charged to fully discharged and it immediately turned off. After waiting about 10 minutes I was able to turn it back on and again it showed a fully charged battery. Problems similar to this occured in some of the older releases of the Mac Software (notably system 7.x) and there were a number of magic incantations to reset the state of the power manager.

Finally my unit at least gets surprisingly warm when it is use. This may be normal but it certainly deserves comment.
    <----- Very parinoid......

The wifi is completely free right?

I dont have to pay for any internet service plan?

Is there a AIM software for the treo i can use with the Wifi?

Whats the catch?
    The wifi is completely free right?
    No

I dont have to pay for any internet service plan?
    Yes you have, unless you find a free access point...

Is there a AIM software for the treo i can use with the Wifi?
    Yes there are a few instant messaging solutions that work over Wifi.

Whats the catch?
    Read 2 posts above yours.
    Got the sled delivered this AM for my Bell Mobility CDMA Treo 600 (which is being replaced under warrently re: battery issue). All seems ok. Can surf using Mobile Web (or Web Pro which I prefer). But, when using Mail to send/receive messages, the Palm "Mail" App is using my carrier's 1x service (even when both Primary and Fallback are set to the Enfora). I've emailed Enfora Support at: WiFi@Enfora.com

Edit:
    Bell Mobility has confirmed that their Treo 600 is programmed so that Palm's Mail client v1.02a will only use their carrier's 1x data service. (The Data Centre girl wasn't friendly, oh well).

I've since purchased Chatter Email, and it works flawlessly for me with the sled. (Thanks Marc!), too bad I only have a POP3 account re: all of Chatter's features that I'm not taking advantage of.

Enfora got back to me and were happy to receive my details (& said they would post in their FAQs, cool).

I used the fully charged sled throughout today, setting up Chatter, surfing, and such. The battery lasted & was at the 2'nd lowest bar when I finished using it. The unit was warm, but not over-heating, and it's now cooler while charging in turned-off mode.
    Last edited by johnston21; 09/13/2005 at 07:49 PM.
    Oh man I'm quite glad I returned it. Sounds like the myriad of bugs and issues I was having with it were certainly not limited to me. Hopefully Enfora will get on these issues with new firmware. Me, I'm still waiting for a truly support Sprint release before I buy that bugger again.

A few questions tho James, the guy who was using Sprint with the Sled and experiencing those speeds, what browser was he using, was he using a proxy, and did he have his NGG & HA servers cleared with an MSL unlock?
    I wasn't using Sprint (I use T-Mobile). The numbers came for Sprint came from Doug, another reviewer. I asked him to run the Mobile Speed Test so I could use that for comparison. Not sure why the others have been having problems besides those I noted in the review. I used Blazer with no proxy. The Treo 650 I have is an unlocked GSM model.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    I think I know why my Wifi sled is not connecting with the Treo. As you can see in the picture below, arrow#1 points to a part of the connector in the sled that is "sunken" compared to the part pointed out with arrow#2. I think the unevenness of the connector prevents my Treo from communicating/connecting properly with the Enfora sled.
    Sorry for the blurry pic, I just took this with my Treo camera. I am glad Enfora is sending me a replacement.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...foradefect.jpg
    The Doctor is IN!
    DocGo, I seem to be having the same problem! My Sled worked for about an hour, then it just shut down and now I can't turn it on. I'll have to recharge, let it cool down, and see what happens. This may be more trouble than it's worth at this point, esp. if multiple people have the same problem.

-Sketchy

BTW my connector looks exactly like yours, but I was able to get the sled to connect (until it got too hot, that is)
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    does anyone think these issues raise the possibility that enfora should do a recall on these early models, fix the problems, and then rerelease the sled?

it sounds like there are significant annoyances/problems with this product right now.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    does anyone think these issues raise the possibility that enfora should do a recall on these early models, fix the problems, and then rerelease the sled?

it sounds like there are significant annoyances/problems with this product right now.
    Yes they should. No they won't.

-Sketchy
    Mine has the slope there also. I hope mine continues to work.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836