Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Now, if only Skype worked on the Treo... Wifi's great, especially when you're doing things like emailing photos and movies, but if you could use your Treo 650 as a VOIP phone, that would be even better.
    Will it work on a home network with a wireless router? And what about wired networks? Any ethernet inputs on the sled?
    Somebody....anybody........................Don't let Dr. Doom spill his Kool-Aid on his brand new "perrywinkle" sweater vest!!!
    I would like to think that Palm wouldn't make the same mistake twice in not including WiFi on the Treo, but who knows. I mean I guess you could argue that providers don't want their phones to be able to get on the internet without using their service, but then I see phones like the new Samsung SCHi730 which has WiFi and EVDO, I think why not? And with Verizon setting the standard in the EVDO market, I'm seeing little need for WiFi ability since it'll be included in your data plan, well as long as you live in an EVDO zone ofcourse, which unfortunately I do not so for now I'll pray for both.

It'd be really nice to get someone else to post their experiences on here. I mean I bought my WiFi sled at CompUSA so I know they're in the stores. It's actually on sale at CompUSA right now... save $50 off it with the purchase of Treo 650 from Sprint... which I find hilarious. Obviously someone at their marketing department didn't do their homework. "Let give the customers a bundle deal on a product they won't even be able to use properly!" I mean it even says on the retail box "you can only check email and sync wirelessly if you have Sprint"

[edit]http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=333229&pfp=srch1 Is the link to the product @ CompUSA. It says "coming soon" but my store already got some.[/edit]
    Last edited by Valkyr; 09/04/2005 at 04:46 PM.
    No there are no ethernet connectors on the sled... heh. Look at the picture at the store. If you have a wired network right now you'll have to get an Access Point to make that network wireless. I believe the Sled is 802.11b, so a G or B router would do... and yes it works on just about any wireless network because it supports WPA security. I've got it workin on my Linksys right now.

As far as a VoIP cellphone that works in WiFi zones, well, I can gurantee that'll never happen. Cellphone providers are far too greedy.
    After more tinkering and playing I've gotten the sled to work with my Sprint service to my liking. I mean it's still no where near broadband, but its certainly faster than PCS now.

Two observations:
    1. When using a proxy with Sprint in Blazer I am able to get an average of 15-20 k/s I'd say. So obviously this is much better than Vision... but no where near my actual broadband speed. That's to be expected tho how many loopholes I'm trying to jump thru to get this thing to work... AND I don't know if any of you have tried to install broadband on a 312MHz computer with less than 32MB of memory+HD but it isn't pretty. So I'm happy with what I can get. Only downside is the information comes in spurts so it's not a constant load. For instance when I type in news.com to Blazer it recieves 150K within a few seconds then takes another 15 seconds to recieve the last 100K... I'm sure that has a lot to do with processing or something like that.
    2. My second and more profound observation is that the sled works flawlessly with Opera Mini, no proxy required. Now you gotta do a little work to get Opera Mini setup right (since the only version availible is in Norweigan) but it will work and provide you a much faster browsing experience since the pages you recieve come compressed. However I'm not a big fan of the Opera Mini since the viewable screen they give you is QUITE small... there are two bars, on top and bottom, that are just completely oversized and unnecessary. Oh well. If you wanna download Opera Mini you can find it over at mytreo.net in the downloads section but make sure you've got the java runtimes installed already and that you put the opera browser into main memory otherwise it won't work.

I'll check back in a while to see if anyone has any questions.
    Last edited by Valkyr; 09/04/2005 at 05:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyr
    After more tinkering and playing I've gotten the sled to work with my Sprint service to my liking. I mean it's still no where near broadband, but its certainly faster than PCS now.

Two observations:
    1. When using a proxy with Sprint in Blazer I am able to get an average of 15-20 k/s I'd say. So obviously this is much better than Vision... but no where near my actual broadband speed. That's to be expected tho how many loopholes I'm trying to jump thru to get this thing to work... AND I don't know if any of you have tried to install broadband on a 312MHz computer with less than 32MB of memory+HD but it isn't pretty. So I'm happy with what I can get. Only downside is the information comes in spurts so it's not a constant load. For instance when I type in news.com to Blazer it recieves 150K within a few seconds then takes another 15 seconds to recieve the last 100K... I'm sure that has a lot to do with processing or something like that.
    2. My second and more profound observation is that the sled works flawlessly with Opera Mini, no proxy required. Now you gotta do a little work to get Opera Mini setup right (since the only version availible is in Norweigan) but it will work and provide you a much faster browsing experience since the pages you recieve come compressed. However I'm not a big fan of the Opera Mini since the viewable screen they give you is QUITE small... there are two bars, on top and bottom, that are just completely oversized and unnecessary. Oh well. If you wanna download Opera Mini you can find it over at mytreo.net in the downloads section but make sure you've got the java runtimes installed already and that you put the opera browser into main memory otherwise it won't work.

I'll check back in a while to see if anyone has any questions.

Have you tried removing the Sprint proxy? There are various threads floating around that describe how to do this using your MSL. Just curious if you've given that a shot.

Bummer about the power-off disconnecting the network. That may be a deal-breaker; it seems really inconvenient to have to reconnect every time your screen turns off.

-Sketchy
    Sorry, one more question. The manual says something about a power-save feature for the sled...does this affect the connection during a power-off?

-Sketchy
    I gotta say that I'm pretty happy with EDGE. I would have jumped on this sled before, but EDGE is doing the job for me.
    Is that True that you can browse the web, check email and receive calls at the same time with the Sled. Does Verichat and Xiino work?

Thanks
    Al
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    but remember that it also has its own radio - meaning that you can be on the phone AND use Wi-fi/any data application at the same time...
    Good point!
    Maybe I'll get one and sell my T3 and Wi-Fi card? Maybe...

...One annoying thing I've noticed about the device is that it loses its WiFi connection when the phone goes into power save mode, which I guess is to be expected...
    Thanks for your review and follow-up information.
    Just to clarify:Are you refering to the sled's power-save mode or the Treo's Preferences\Power\Auto-off?
    If the former, does that mean that I can switch off power-save, rest down my Treo while it is downloading emails etc., let the Treo "auto-off", and return later to an active Wi-Fi connection?

Thanx
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchy9
    Have you tried removing the Sprint proxy? There are various threads floating around that describe how to do this using your MSL. Just curious if you've given that a shot.
    Being a complete Treo n00b (just got it 2 weeks ago), I'm not very familiar with messing around with my master subsidy lock, or why I would do it. Please point me towards specific threads so that I may try it.

Quote Originally Posted by sketchy9
    Sorry, one more question. The manual says something about a power-save feature for the sled...does this affect the connection during a power-off?
    It appears as though the sled enters power-save mode when the phone does, which causes the loss of connection. More on that later in the post...
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Is that True that you can browse the web, check email and receive calls at the same time with the Sled. Does Verichat and Xiino work?
    Yes this is true, you can recieve calls whenever you're surfing the net or checking emails via WiFi. Since Verichat isn't free and I don't have access to it I cannot test to see if it works or not, however I did try Xiino (which btw rocks, thanks for turning me onto it) and it works flawlessly, no proxy necessary. Blazer seems to be the only one requiring a proxy.
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith
    Just to clarify:Are you refering to the sled's power-save mode or the Treo's Preferences\Power\Auto-off?
    If the former, does that mean that I can switch off power-save, rest down my Treo while it is downloading emails etc., let the Treo "auto-off", and return later to an active Wi-Fi connection?
    As I stated earlier in this post the Sled, for me atleast, goes into power-save when my phone does. And yes that's what I meant, the Treo's Preferences\Power\Auto-Off setting. So you can set that higher to keep you from disconnecting due to inactivity. I mean reconnecting isn't that big of a deal, just a mild annoyance... it's really only like 5 total taps to get out of my browser, reconnect, and get back in my browser and it takes maybe 5-10 seconds to connect.

One thing I still haven't managed to accomplish is getting the phone to Sync via WiFi. I think it probably has something to do with the port settings on my Linksys Router, so if anyone knows what ports HotSync uses to make a LanSync please let me know so I can try em.

Something you should all keep in mind is that you're probably not going to downloading large files in the browser or recieving huge emails, the sled just offers a more comfortable mobile internet experience. So while I can't give you exact transfer speeds because really it's been different every site I've visited, I can say that the WiFi sled makes mobile browsing much more pleasant, but that's not to say its perfect. Pages still take sometimes up to 15 seconds to fully load and get oriented, so its not gonna be like your broadband connected computer which recieves a page in a millisecond. But who knows, someone with a Verizon or Cingular phone might get better speeds, I just don't know. It'd be nice to get some more input from other purchasers.

As far as my overall satisfaction thusfar I'd have to give my enthusiasm a rating of 7 out of 10. It's cool and all and gets the job done, it just doesn't meet up to the hype of instant surfing that I was so looking forward too. But again, that could be entirely because I have sprint. It also isn't of the best quality and documentation and support is pretty slim. Fortunately it is quite durable so if you wanted to keep it on for daily use, you're certainly capable. Also there are some minor bugs, more like annoyances, that have bothered me thusfar. Like when you connect the device it doesn't always recognize properly so you have to retry and reconnect, and the power-save feature, while nice to save power, is also annoying. Would've been nicer if the power-save mode were configurable though the Wi-Fi management software included. I've also noticed just strange instance of the thing randomly turning off while the phone was still on. I'm no technician so I won't try to explain the problem, but it seems like the product has many firmware upgrades to go before its reliably stable. I'll ofcourse keep it in hopes that this does come true, but for now unless you are in hot-spots frequently, I would hold off on the purchase b/c I don't really feel I've gotten my $150 worth yet.

Anyways, thanks for your questions, keep em coming.
    I almost purchased one last night but I held off for the following reasons:

1. Can anyone post how much memory it takes? Is there a prc or data that is installed via the disk?
    2. What case would you be able to use it with? For that matter, is there even a case to carry it around with?
    3. I have unlimited data, so even though I'd enjoy the speed, the pricing is not really an issue.

Just my 2 cents.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    Being a complete Treo n00b (just got it 2 weeks ago), I'm not very familiar with messing around with my master subsidy lock, or why I would do it. Please point me towards specific threads so that I may try it.
    See this for further discussion:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&highlight=msl

It may be more than you're willing to do, but as of right now I've had no complications from this.

It appears as though the sled enters power-save mode when the phone does, which causes the loss of connection. More on that later in the post...
    Page 14 of the manual refers to a "Power Save" that can be accessed from within the Enfora application. Have you tried changing this setting to "Disabled" to see if if affects the connection?

BTW thanks for all the great info, can't wait to get my hands on mine (I ordered via TC store, and I see it's already out of stock there)

-Sketchy
    Quote Originally Posted by lulugirl896
    I almost purchased one last night but I held off for the following reasons:

1. Can anyone post how much memory it takes? Is there a prc or data that is installed via the disk?
    2. What case would you be able to use it with? For that matter, is there even a case to carry it around with?
    3. I have unlimited data, so even though I'd enjoy the speed, the pricing is not really an issue.
    The prc you put on the first time is only 70k.. and that's what stays on. To update it however you have to put on some larger files (1MB or so), then it updates and you can delete them. No cases availible that I know of. Not sure what your third point is.

sketchy9: I can't really change the proxy settings, unless you know of an easy way to get a hold of my MSL. I'll try calling sprint tommorow and see if I can beat it out of one of their technicians. I already removed the HAs but that didn't really seem to change anything. I'm beggining to think that I'm not even using the WiFi adapter when I browse through a proxy because it really does transfer at the exact same speed my PCS Vision would... I guess I just got confused before. Hopefully I'll be able to figure this out within the next two days so I can let yall know.

Yes I got Power-Save disabled through the Enfora manager and it just keeps the phone in its entirety from going into power-save... even once I've removed the wifi adapter. I don't get it *_*

More on this tommorow.
    Last edited by Valkyr; 09/06/2005 at 01:58 AM.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    I'll probably still keep it tho, just in case they figure out a way to penetrate Sprint's mysterious force field.
    Uh, why not try Xiino or WebPro? Blazer isn't the only browser out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon
    Uh, why not try Xiino or WebPro? Blazer isn't the only browser out there.
    did you read this whole thread?
    The Treo 650 Multi-connector features a serial port (limited to 115Kbps), and a USB port (limited theorically to 12Mbps, in practice it's closer to 6Mbps).

I would like to know which port the Wifi Sled uses ? Serial or USB ?

If it's using the serial port, then it's too bad: the Edge data connection is already faster.

stipus
    Last edited by stipus; 09/06/2005 at 01:37 PM.
    It says "Opening USB Port" everytime you connect it to Wi-Fi.

I did get my MSL and cleared the sprint proxy. Got some bad news tho, I woke up this morning and the sled is frozen in power-save mode... no way to fix it. Tried waiting four minute for it to shut off, but it didn't. Guess I'ma have to finally return it.
    I've tried the sled on a test basis with my Verizon unit, and the browsing isn't locked, nor have I had any of the issues mentioned above. Interesting....
    How are the browsing speeds nrosser?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast