Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    OK, now that I've searched and read hundreds of posts/threads on the unbranding issue, I'm still not clear on this point.

I have an unlocked GSM, Cingular-branded 650. SW 1.31 / FW 1.15 CNG.

It bugs me to have the Cingular "stuff" on it (splashes, speed dials, Xpress Mail, etc.), so I would like to flash it to SW 1.28 / FW 1.13 ROW (yes, even though it's an "earlier" version). There are NO data on the unit that I need to save.

Can I simply download the 1.13 ROW "unlocked GSM" .exe from Palm, and flash my CNG right over to ROW, or...

Do I still need to go through the "flash BACK to 1.23 ROW using a Shadowmite ROM" intermediate step?

(Flash gear and full turnouts donned, ready for the unleashing...)
    get the beta 1.21 then use that, then you can use the palm 1.28. two steps because it won't let you downgrade version automatically.
    Big plus because you don't have that darn auto-shutoff (and stays off) "feature" in the new Cingular software!!
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by medic
    get the beta 1.21 then use that, then you can use the palm 1.28. two steps because it won't let you downgrade version automatically.
    Thank you!! That's exactly what I did, after getting your message, and it worked wonderfully. For anyone else that was a confused as I was, here is what I did:

1) Started with unlocked (via GSM server) Cingular GSM Treo 650, with FW 1.15 and SW 1.31. Goal was to end up with unbranded GSM - no Cingular add-ons, splashes etc.

2) Downloaded the GSM 1.23 BETA, using the SD install technique (copied the PALM folder on a blank SD card using my PC's card reader, soft reset the Treo, inserted the SD card and watched it go!).

3) Downloaded the GSM 1.28 from PALM, and installed via their installer (HotSync & autostart on reboot).

Once complete, I now have an unlocked, unbranded GSM Treo 650, with FW 1.13 ROW and SW 1.28! No more Cingular!!

Works GREAT on T-Mobile.
    I would like to do this same thing, where can I find the 1.21 beta.? (ive searched).
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicWill
    I would like to do this same thing, where can I find the 1.21 beta.? (ive searched).
    Search for 1.23. You will find plenty of download links.
    ^haha I am searching for 1.23 and I got this thread.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper2k
    Goal was to end up with unbranded GSM - no Cingular add-ons, splashes etc.
    I accomplished most of this by simply creating a custom ROM, i dont really mind the splashes. What are the other advantages to going to ROW?
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.