Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    You guys know the annoying Nextel thing that goes "Please wait while the subscriber is located" in a very low voice and then "Please wait while you are forwarded" in a very loud one right after? Well, the moment that loud one came on my 650 everything went quiet. I just installed VolumeCare 3.11 a few days before and everything was set to max. It killed my speakerphone and playback functionality.

Had to get a replacement and everything is fine now. I did want to warn everyone not to boost the external speaker to max and maybe suggest to the developer to lower the maximum theshold.
    this is why I don't F with Hacks.
    there is, and has been for a while a warning about adjusting levels to max.

Disclaimer: DO NOT configure VC to MAX volume levels! I am not responsible for broken speakers or blown ear drums....

good to know ya got a replacement though.

this is why I don't F with Hacks
    VC is a great app IMO, as well as many others here. the sound may be fine for you, but i work in a factory where its very loud, so this helps me greatly.
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Define Hacks.

VC uses documented API according to Jeff
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko
    this is why I don't F with Hacks.

Volume Care is an essential app imo. It really increases the Treo functionality imo, but you have to RTFM as always as it is clearly stated that you should not set to max the volume boost to avoid problems like this. Also, it's not really a hack imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Volume Care is an essential app imo. It really increases the Treo functionality imo, but you have to RTFM as always as it is clearly stated that you should not set to max the volume boost to avoid problems like this. Also, it's not really a hack imo...
    well said (as usual congrats ModFunk )
    I wouldn't consider Volume Care *essential* and found it problematic myself. Very touchy as far as setting levels...........
    I tried Volumecare, but it caused really awful echo.
    I decided to just live with the somewhat anemic volume.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Essential app in my book and settings now are more advanced than in 3.1 version. You can tell it to leave the external speaker alone. Myine was almost unusable without it. (VZW 650)
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I wouldn't still have my 650 if not for volumecare.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by aph
    You guys know the annoying Nextel thing that goes "Please wait while the subscriber is located" in a very low voice and then "Please wait while you are forwarded" in a very loud one right after? Well, the moment that loud one came on my 650 everything went quiet. I just installed VolumeCare 3.11 a few days before and everything was set to max. It killed my speakerphone and playback functionality.

Had to get a replacement and everything is fine now. I did want to warn everyone not to boost the external speaker to max and maybe suggest to the developer to lower the maximum theshold.
    Failures like this have been tracked back to a faulty headset jack in every case that I have heard of so far. I have yet to hear of a true speaker failure and I have over 15,000 customers of VolumeCare so far world wide. That is not to say it can't happen and that is why I do put a disclamer as part of the product description. I even now in the v4.x versions of the program have dynamic popups that will also warn you when you have made a configuration that is potentially too loud. But he headset jack problem is widely known, very common and can be verified by the carrier repair person.

But again, I have opened up the entire range of volume potential of the Treo. It is up to you to configure and use the product reasonably. Product failures will happen and each speaker has its own tollerances. You don't listen to you car stereo at full volume for any length of time and you don't turn your TV to maximum volume for any length of time - right? Use the same common sense with your Treo. If people really want me to limit the volume, I will. But that's how the Treo is delivered and no one likes it.

Jeff

Had to get a replacement and everything is fine now.
    Did they replace the whole phone, or just the external speaker? What carrier?
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Failures like this have been tracked back to a faulty headset jack in every case that I have heard of so far. I have yet to hear of a true speaker failure and I have over 15,000 customers of VolumeCare so far world wide. That is not to say it can't happen and that is why I do put a disclamer as part of the product description. I even now in the v4.x versions of the program have dynamic popups that will also warn you when you have made a configuration that is potentially too loud. But he headset jack problem is widely known, very common and can be verified by the carrier repair person.

But again, I have opened up the entire range of volume potential of the Treo. It is up to you to configure and use the product reasonably. Product failures will happen and each speaker has its own tollerances. You don't listen to you car stereo at full volume for any length of time and you don't turn your TV to maximum volume for any length of time - right? Use the same common sense with your Treo. If people really want me to limit the volume, I will. But that's how the Treo is delivered and no one likes it.

Jeff

Jeff,

Please don't limit the volume; if you can find even more, i will take it.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson

Jeff
    I know what you are talking about and had that problem with my first Treo. I got it working after I messed with Freedom. But in this case the speaker was blown out: anytime sound would play, it would be very distorted for half a second then cut out altogether. I could get it to play continuously at very low volumes but it would sound like it was overamplified and was distorted. VC was disabled at this time. I made a complete backup to SD card and transferred RAM to a new Treo and all was well.
  15. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr
    Did they replace the whole phone, or just the external speaker? What carrier?
    Cingular and AT&T have both provided me with warranty replacements free of charge minus shipping in some cases. They send one to you overnight before you even send the old one back. I am on my 4th Treo now.
    VC did'nt blow out your speaker. VC may have given YOU the ability to do so,,,,,,, Your wording makes it sound like you have no control over the application and blames the developer. That is irresponsible.

But we appreciate your intentions as a warning in favor of our best interests.
  17. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    VC did'nt blow out your speaker. VC may have given YOU the ability to do so,,,,,,, Your wording makes it sound like you have no control over the application and blames the developer. That is irresponsible.

But we appreciate your intentions as a warning in favor of our best interests.
    The sound was fine the entire time until it blew out. There was no indiciation that the speaker might blow out so I really don't see how you expect me think that it would have.
    The sound was fine the entire time until it blew out. There was no indiciation that the speaker might blow out so I really don't see how you expect me think that it would have.
    Your indication was the disclaimers, warnings, etc, within VC. It's important to pay attention to the warnings the developer places within the software.
    They are there for a reason. Jeff knows the power of this software, and has the appropriate warnings in place for the end user.

I would be upset if my speaker blew also, but I am also mindful that if it happens, I was warned. Thant makes it my fault, not the software's.

At least you are getting a replacement.
  19. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Wow, congrats GFunk on becoming a mod.

Thread Topic: Are you sure you didn't blow your exteranl speaker?
  20. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Yeah the external speaker is what blew out. Everything was turned up to max and that's the only one that had a problem, hence my suggestion to take its max boost down a notch or two.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast