Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by mwomwom
    If you go to the link and read about compatible devices...it says re Treo 650:

    *If possible, LifeDrive, Treo 650, Zire 72 and Zire 31 users should use the version of Palm Desktop which came on the CD with their device. Although this download is compatible with these handhelds, additional conduits and applications are included on the CD version.


    Doesn't really sound as if you should do the upgrade especially if there are really no enhancements to speak of...
  2. eKeith's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by mwomwom
    This is Palm Desktop 4.1.4 in the package - no change there. HotSync Manager version is 6.01.

    The most interesting changes seem to be in how the installer behaves regarding your old data in the Backup folder if you are an upgrader. It runs a blacklist of 'incompatible applications' and then it asks you if you want to keep the applications that are remaining in your Backup folder. You can select yes or no. I am not sure what it does if you say no as I said Yes. I presume it moves all the data out of the Backup folder automatically to some safe location. Then it asks you to do the usual HotSync and checks back with you to ensure your device is still working OK. If you say no, it takes you back thru the installer and gives you the option to hard reset the device and install with none of the Backup folder junk. Not a bad system.
    This is not new. You probably did not notice it before because you may not have had any incompatible apps installed...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    maybe adding this new desktop will allow you to sync voicememo, notepad, and expense.
    I already do it w/ the OEM CD that I got from the Treo 650. The only thing is that you can't actually synch....you need to have it set for "Phone overwrites Desktop" at least for Voice Memos and Notes. Also, I can't view the note on the PC for some reason...just see some illegible scribbles; I can see the name of the note that I stored it under.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by SofTTware
    I already do it w/ the OEM CD that I got from the Treo 650. The only thing is that you can't actually synch....you need to have it set for "Phone overwrites Desktop" at least for Voice Memos and Notes. Also, I can't view the note on the PC for some reason...just see some illegible scribbles; I can see the name of the note that I stored it under.
    im syncing voicememo and notepad just fine with the pc . i was just wondering if everyone else was gonna finally be able to.
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

    Palm Pre (Sprint)
  5. #25  
    Has anyone tried to install the new Desktop as a fresh install. Ie. you have your Treo up & running off the CD setup out the box. But leaving Treo alone wipe the existing Desktop & conduits, then loading the Downloaded Desktop (then do Treo overwrites)? As far as I can tell the only thing the Treo Setup CD does differently after this is load network profiles & install Docs to Go - which of course is already on the Treo.

    The reason I want to try this is to get back Voice Memo, Notepad & Expense onto the desktop. I have them running on the Treo & managed to get VM & NP working by first loading the Zire Desktop before Treo the first - but unfortunately this combination does not bring back Expense. Expense is about all the sophistication I need for Biz travel but I need to be able the spit out an Excel file to give to the secretary. [Thanks I did see PDBExplorer thanks but I'm just looking for a one stop shop]
  6. #26  
    someone posted that if you have the life drive desktop, you can sync voicememo, notepad and expense. but i dont know where to get it
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

    Palm Pre (Sprint)
  7. eKeith's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    #27  
    After installing Palm Desktop 4.2, my browser just stuck on "sending" and never got to "receiving". But I was able to get and send emails using Chatter and logon using Chatopus and CCLite. Naturally I researched issues with Blazer albeit without success.

    Therefore, I decided to experiment a bit more before starting afresh. Eventualy, I discovered that after doing a restore using BBVFS but excluding "NetworkProfiles2" (from the latest Palm Desktop 4.2), Blazer returned to complete functionality.

    Perhaps the new profiles are very specific and somewhat restrictive as I am not in the US and using TSTT as my carrier here in Trinidad...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  8. #28  
    I follow that link and it keeps send me around in circles. I keep telling it which device I have and then a couple pages later I end up at the the starting page agian.

    jc
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyatbt
    I follow that link and it keeps send me around in circles. I keep telling it which device I have and then a couple pages later I end up at the the starting page agian.
    Same here. Something is screwed-up at the site.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith
    Therefore, I decided to experiment a bit more before starting afresh. Eventualy, I discovered that after doing a restore using BBVFS but excluding "NetworkProfiles2" (from the latest Palm Desktop 4.2), Blazer returned to complete functionality.
    I wonder what other files are installed on the Treo650 by the new Desktop. Apparently, the newer NetworkProfiles2 does not cause any problems.

    I'm still wondering: What's the reason for Palm to make this ver available for download (other than for those who have lost their original install CD)?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyatbt
    I follow that link and it keeps send me around in circles. I keep telling it which device I have and then a couple pages later I end up at the the starting page agian.

    jc
    Looks like they might have pulled it. And I just did a fresh install of XP and don't have the orginal disc. Anyone have the file (the new one, from the site)?
  12. eKeith's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    I wonder what other files are installed on the Treo650 by the new Desktop. Apparently, the newer NetworkProfiles2 does not cause any problems.
    Well, I only noticed my Blazer problems sometime after installing Desktop 4.2, and restoring without all of the Blazer files didn't resolve my Blazer problem. So I decided to omit NetworkProfiles2 on my next restore attempt and since, my blazer has been working fine. Remember, I'm not using a US carrier, I'm using TSTT over here in Trinidad.

    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    I'm still wondering: What's the reason for Palm to make this ver available for download (other than for those who have lost their original install CD)?
    Good question. I wish there was a detailed version history.
    I only noticed the carrier and network files being installed.

    One other strange thing I've noticed: since my "restore", I have not been able to reload (via hotsync) or restore (from BBFVS) NotePad 2.3 (from LifeDrive or T5). I just get an error now saying that the apps could not be loaded...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  13. #33  
    Is there a new Palm Desktop version? I noticed in this thread that it's version 4.2.

    I went to Palm and I don't see it there. I even tried the link that is posted here.

    If there is a new version (I have 4.14) please let me know how I can get it. I'm hoping they did some work on the Hotsync communications.

    Thanks
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054
    Is there a new Palm Desktop version? I noticed in this thread that it's version 4.2.

    I went to Palm and I don't see it there. I even tried the link that is posted here.

    If there is a new version (I have 4.14) please let me know how I can get it. I'm hoping they did some work on the Hotsync communications.

    Thanks
    There was a newer version posted last week (4.2)

    Seems to have been pulled for whatever the reason.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  15. #35  
    Anyone have a link to the file?
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by joflow
    Anyone have a link to the file?
    It's no longer posted on Palm's site. Just this following message:

    September 6, 2005

    Not available at this time
    We apologize for the inconvenience, but the web download of Palm Desktop 4.2 for Windows has become temporarily unavailable. Within the next week, we expect to make this file available again.

    Until then, please install Palm Desktop from the CD-ROM that came with your device.

    Thank you for your patience.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  17. #37  
    This seems to be par for the course for them, post something only to take it down shortly afterwards
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  18. lindros2's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    #38  
    this is one reason why I've completely stopped using my Treo. I hope they burn and fail.

    "Not available at this time
    We apologize for the inconvenience, but the web download of Palm Desktop 4.2 for Windows has become temporarily unavailable. Within the next week, we expect to make this file available again.

    Until then, please install Palm Desktop from the CD-ROM that came with your device.

    Thank you for your patience."
  19. #39  
    Why are folks using the PC waiting for this release? It doesn't offer any new features .. and no documented bug-fixes.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  20. #40  
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/windesk42.html

    "Was there a version 4.2? This download (4.1.4E) corrects a version number issue with the previous release dated August 2005 which, in some places, incorrectly stated it was version 4.2. The "About" screen has always displayed version 4.1.4. If you installed the version labeled 4.2, there is no need to install 4.1.4E."

    The page doesn't really say what's new in this update :-)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions