Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    I actually wrote this in another thread. But, I think it probably close to what "most" feel about the 650.
    -----------

I would venture to say that 90% of us are satisfied. I have maybe one reset a month. I restart my PC more than that. I use my Treo for not only a phone but to listen to music, watch movies, navigate via GPS, receive and send work email, send and receive personal email, configure quotes for clients using the web, create Word and Excel files, give presentations from PowerPoint, maintain all of my 1000 contacts, balance my checkbook, maintain all my passwords for various accounts, oh yeah and play games, plus a host of other tasks I'm not even thinking about right now. And I can do all of this with a device that fits in my pocket. One reset a month; hell, one a week would make this thing still a better "tool" than my PC since there is no way I can stay in an office.
    --------

Good Luck,
    Couldn't agree more!
    I just bought a VZW Treo 650. I'm very picky and particular and I'm the first one to biitch about a shiitty product - BUT I am VERY pleased with my Treo 650. I've had a Palm III, V, m505, m515, T1, T3, and T5 (Returned the T5 because I thought it was garbage).

I think the keys to satisfaction (voice coverage/quality and device stability) are:

1. Pick a good Quality Carrier with Good Digital Coverage in your geographic area.
    2. Make sure you have the Latest Hardware (B) and ROM Software.
    3. Do a Fresh Install with No Prior Backup Folder Installed.
    4. Do a Minimal and Judicious install of 3rd Party Apps/Hacks.
    5. Leave 2MB+ of Free RAM.

Good luck.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    It is a phone first because when you are out on the road, the phone function overtakes importance 99% of the time. If anything hinders the phone, the device is seen at the time as worthless.

"Safe mode" is needed. A no excuse phone only mode that even in a reset makes it a dumb but reliable phone.

In a Treo, Palm functionality should not hinder the phone. The true purpose of the Treo is not to carry two devices at once, but the phone is the "911" unit. The "left or right? right? no!...left!" of the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    2. Move Vindigo to the SD card and use it's "update wirelessly" capability instead of hotsyncing the updates. That's been known to save 1.4MB or more.
    A little OT (but essentially bound to the topic of this thread): HOW exactly are you able to get Vindigo to run and update from the card? Via Powerrun I get the message "Vindigo lost some data when you last synced...", and by moving the vindigo.prc over to the default VFS folder (/palm/launcher) I get the same error.

Adding the 320x320 screen was necessary, beginning bluetooth implementation was obvious, and keeping nearly the same form factor as the 600 was good.

Palm just blew it when they wrecked the memory after taking over from Handspring. Their denials and derisions of their developers and biggest supporters for complaining about their memory architecture and size is simply inexcusable. The "latest firmware" is better, but is too little, too late. Like releasing a car with 1/2 size windshield wipers, blaming the consumer for not stooping down to see in the rain, then 6 months later releasing 3/4 size wiper blades and calling it "fixed."

"Third Party Apps" have been the LIFEBLOOD of Palm since the beginning - do you REALLY think that people have ooo'd and ahh'd over the contact PIMs very long? NO- it was the fact that Palm was designed so that more creative minds could tap into the architecture that Palm created and offer truly revolutionary uses for the devices.

The original Pilot was 512K... The included PIMs aren't very different from 8 years ago, so why even include 2MB, much less 8MB, 16MB, 22MB, 32MB, 64MB.... Unless people have really long memos (STILL stuck at 4K) and thousands of Contacts, then my money is that the hardware has improved and Palm has stayed in business because of what can be ADDED ON to the platform due to the work of others ("third party apps").

Now for Palm to be so dumbheaded to even CONSIDER designing the followup to the successful 600 with a phone with even LESS effective memory was a suicidal move. And considering that they seem to be releasing Treos once every 12 months or so, the expectation is that on the LOW end the RAM needs to be sufficient for a year until the next one comes out.

Somehow Palm ignored the fact that many people use their devices for more than memos and contacts, and hence thought that "16MB/22MB ought to be more than enough for anyone except the power users". Strangely, they even promoted Handmark Express with the release of the Treo 650 - an application that recommends 8MB free space to install!

I'm living with the 650, as my eyes were giving out on the 160x160 Treo 600. YES - I "knew" about the memory problems when I bought it - though when I originally bought it (and soon returned it) in November 2004 Palmone was swearing up and down that the memory was "exactly" the same amount as in the Treo 600 and there was "only" a loss of 1MB in the amount of data I could store.

The point can't be ignored that cheaping out on the RAM has severely hurt the Treo platform and allowed other lousier phones to take a lead. Even Palm is rumored to be creating a Windows Mobile Treo - if THAT isn't a recognition of screwing up their lead in the marketplace, I don't know what is...
    Last edited by Joad; 09/01/2005 at 02:37 PM.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    A little OT (but essentially bound to the topic of this thread): HOW exactly are you able to get Vindigo to run and update from the card? Via Powerrun I get the message "Vindigo lost some data when you last synced...", and by moving the vindigo.prc over to the default VFS folder (/palm/launcher) I get the same error.
    I've seen that problem once or twice when for whatever reason, Vindigo died in the middle of a wireless sync. I fixed it by reinstalling Vindigo on the Treo. Obviously, you want the hotsync conduit disabled when doing the wireless sync as Vindigo treats the options as mutually exclusive. To enable it, check the Vindigo Options->Wireless Preferences->Enable wireless sync box. From then on, do File->Wireless Sync. If I remember right, when you enable wireless sync, Vindigo wants you to do one more hotsync to update the PC/Mac side and/or download a helper prc to do the actual wireless sync.

I'm using Zlauncher which puts apps in /palm/programs/Zlauncher/apps/Vindigo, but the only diff that might make is that ZL will copy the entire contents of that dir back to ram before executing the app. Not sure if PowerRun does that. If it doesn't, the problem could be that a file is missing/corrupt in ram and all you get is the generic "...lost some data..." message.

As to the rest of the comments on memory, I essentially agree that 16/22/32MB isn't close to enough. I can only guess that any of the following were a factor during development:
    1. Palm didn't realize what developing the 650 entailed since they never did it before.
    2. The integration of Handspring personnel into the dev teams didn't go well, so there was a steep learning curve.
    3. They did change the whole display and imaging (higher res) and processing subsystem (move from OMAP to Intel) at the same time they changed the memory architecture. Way too much to do given all the other changes happening at Palm.
    4. Sure looks to me like Palm and PalmSource have not worked well together the last few years. Certainly that must have hurt.
    5. They didn't yet realize how quickly the 600 sales took off and/or they were slow to react and didn't understand their customer base. They should've realized the Treo is not a phone for standard (free phone-type) consumers and then built it to support the advanced users and 3rd-party providers.
    6. Because of all of the above, they simply couldn't afford the cost of more memory and still keep the target MSRP with a certain amount of profit. Ok, I admit, I find it hard to believe another 32MB would add that much to the cost. I know I would have paid more if I had had the option. It certainly would have saved alot of grief for all of us.

What's ironic is that their rumored move to Windows Mobile will virtually guarantee a 3-4X increase in memory just to run the OS.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Please post it here so we can all read it.

This thread should be locked too as it's going to turn into just another *****fest.

I saw the same type or complaints being posted for years over at the 7135 forum with it's quirks. But for the 3 years I owned it, I appreciated it greatly for what it was.

These types of posts are really just trying to incite everyone else here. If 90% of us here are happy with the Treo 650, I'd say from the threads it more like 98%, in any case there are a lot more happy users here then there was at the 7135 forum.

My experience has been:

1. Sometimes you just keep getting bad replacements.

2. Especially for the techy oriented . . . those who somehow need to take a great device and immediately start loading it up with all their much needed third party apps. the ones that cause conflicts and problems down the road.

3. I think most of us here appreciate what a great little device the 650 is and other than a backup program many can get along just using the OEM basic programs with very few issues.

4. It's not a laptop computer, so don't expect it to act like one.

5. Write your letters, it can't hurt and maybe it will help iron out any quirks with their next software upgrade.

6. Address the letter to the CEO in "blood' that red color is sure to get his attention if this is what you're crying out for.

7. Invest in a Razor and a Tungsten and be HAPPY
    Last edited by Expidia; 09/01/2005 at 09:15 PM.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    Expidia - I'm with you. I'll answer any questions about the techniques I mentioned, but otherwise I'm definitely keeping my 650 and wouldn't trade it for anything. Far, far too useful to be without.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko
    I just bought a VZW Treo 650. I'm very picky and particular and I'm the first one to biitch about a shiitty product - BUT I am VERY pleased with my Treo 650. I've had a Palm III, V, m505, m515, T1, T3, and T5 (Returned the T5 because I thought it was garbage).

I think the keys to satisfaction (voice coverage/quality and device stability) are:

1. Pick a good Quality Carrier with Good Digital Coverage in your geographic area.
    2. Make sure you have the Latest Hardware (B) and ROM Software.
    3. Do a Fresh Install with No Prior Backup Folder Installed.
    4. Do a Minimal and Judicious install of 3rd Party Apps/Hacks.
    5. Leave 2MB+ of Free RAM.

Good luck.
    Ding, ding, ding: we have a winner.
    I've had a VZW 650 for almost 4 months and have not had any major problems.
    I've done most of those things listed above and with the exception of getting Volume Care, my 650 has been 99 percent perfect from day one.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    The Treo is not a toy. If you find it too complicated for your skills, or perhaps too time demanding, then perhaps you should get a simpler device.
    Exactly. Why keep it past the 14 day trial period only to cry about it later?
    I love my Treo. It does what I need and I only had to tweak it for about a week.

But by all means write to the CEO and give him an earful. It's important that the big shots hear from dissatisfied customers. At the very least you'll get a letter thanking you for your input and giving you a $50 discount on your next purchase at the Palm Store.

Terry
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia
    4. It's not a laptop computer, so don't expect it to act like one.
    It really is a laptop computer, tho....minus the optical drives (which I'd rather not have anyway, even on a laptop), add the cellular radio.

I wonder how much longer I'm going to have to ask Palm for that clamshell design???
    I recently got a Treo 650 and already have found areas where there could be improvements and that I wish were incorporated into the unit.

1. Unfortunately, the programmable quick keys only work when in the phone side of the Treo and not the palm side. They should have been made to work anywhere!!!!!! It would be great if a program could be written, (such as easylaunch which unfortunately is a hack), which would allow for programing any of the buttons, either hardware or key board - at least some, to launch any applications that could be selected from a list and that they would work any where, not just the phone side of Treo. If necessary, pressing a combination of buttons and/or long or short pressing of buttons could be used to differentiate between button presses.

2. An application that would allow for renaming of applications that have weird names that are hard to remember what they are for. I don't know how many times I have loaded onto my pda, applications that have names I don't recognize and would like to change them to something I can remember. I'm surprised that Palm has not incorporated something into the palm OS to do this already. They have category renaming which is nice, but what about renaming applications to something I can remember?

3. One of the first things I noticed was that the Keyguard pop up message that pops up when the Treo 650 is turned on is too short!!!! I would like to make it a few seconds longer. So I went to Pref. and, like I figured there was no place to adjust the time delay of this pop up screen.

4. A selectable option that would allow the speaker-phone to be the default device instead of the ear-piece. I use the speaker-phone alot more than the ear-piece so I always have to change it to the speaker-phone. By the way, using the speaker-phone give you better reception because the antenna is not next to your head. I've noticed, in weak signal areas that I can gain at least a bar of signal strength by using the speaker phone instead of the ear piece.

5. A way to select where files are installed on the expansion card. This could be done through the Desktop software or the Treo device.

How hard would it have been for Palm developers to incorporate these options? These are just a few examples of things that have been overlooked by Palm developers. I really wonder sometimes if the developers even use PDA's. If they did, they would notice these things pretty quickly, unless they aren't very bright.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Exactly. Why keep it past the 14 day trial period only to cry about it later?
    I also have some serious problems with the treo. I believe they said my treo would be able to make CHEESE SANDWICHES, MAGARITAS and CURRY-CHICKEN with 3rd party applications! They didn't comethru with that promise. I am very UPSET!!!
    I'd be surprised if they even know what these are: CHEESE SANDWICHES, MAGARITAS and CURRY-CHICKEN or, better yet, if they know how to make them!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    I'd tell Ed to make a gosh dern clamshell...similar to the Nokia Communicator phones!! And bring Linux as fast as you can...that WM5 ain't gonna help you out in the long run!

[/End Of Rant]
    It's actually the smartest thing they could do going with WM5. It will squash blackberry in the corporate market.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    It's actually the smartest thing they could do going with WM5. It will squash blackberry in the corporate market.
    ... as long as they finally release BB Connect....
    Quote Originally Posted by mattjh
    I recently got a Treo 650 and already have found areas where there could be improvements and that I wish were incorporated into the unit.

1. Unfortunately, the programmable quick keys only work when in the phone side of the Treo and not the palm side. They should have been made to work anywhere!!!!!! It would be great if a program could be written, (such as easylaunch which unfortunately is a hack), which would allow for programing any of the buttons, either hardware or key board - at least some, to launch any applications that could be selected from a list and that they would work any where, not just the phone side of Treo. If necessary, pressing a combination of buttons and/or long or short pressing of buttons could be used to differentiate between button presses.
    Go download Butler from palmgear.com, and try out the option under the "Navigation" heading in the program. Click on "Enable Keylauncher", then you can press and hold the buttons for your favorites no matter what program your Treo is running at the time.
    Palm Treo 680
    Unlocked GSM
    Given how expensive Treo is, the customer has the right to expect a lot.

That said, I have only very minor problems with my Treo (GSM unlocked). Avoid opening PDF and playing that Zap game that came with the machine was all it took. Mine stabalized within a couple of weeks.

Since Cingular/T-Mobile no longer cross-roam in my area, I have had a lot of problems with signal. The Treo do hang (or near hung) as it search for signal. That I do not consider a Treo problem, but they could have handle this "error condition" more gracefully.

I suspect Palm's CEO, like VZW's CEO ("Why would any one expect the cell phone to work at home..."), are the ones preferring denial over solving the problem.
    Hey, this phone has been a godsend!... When the ol' lady starts up, I can dig out the 650 to occupy my 'unused minutes'! Just kinda kidding.
    I, like many others on T.C., have had numerous late night sessions w/ my phone? Bought in Feb., have had all the standard deviations from the normal learning curve. And yes, I am a longtime Palm student (B-). I still have, and admire. my Kyo6035. - display sucked, though.

But ATC (all tngs condrd), the 650 is BY FAR the most comprehensive convergent device I have had to date.
    Where else can you have in 1 small device:
    -TomTom GPS Nav5 (w/o update 5.12)
    -OK cam / camcorder
    -Contacts, Calender, Calculator (w/ finance)
    -MP3 player(s)
    -BT sync, phones, DUN, etc. (tho limited due to hw)
    -email, sms,web. etc
    -numerous sync. options
    -games
    -voice dial (VS)
    -ad ---
    -infinitem

Yes, this ph/pda can be daunting, but not unmanageable. Get a razr if that is only what you need.

Best regards and luck1
    Last edited by ParkerLtng; 10/03/2005 at 11:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulshu
    I really appreciate the tips, but I don't have the time or patience to play nursemaid to my device. I bought the 650 because I trusted Handspring to deliver on what I view as its brand promise: an ever increasing degree of reliability and convenience with each new product. They've failed miserably and I think Mr. Colligan should have the opportunity to hear me out, respond and - hopefully - make good.
    Your comments have really hit the spot with me. I totally agree, and want to emphisize your comment,

I don't have the time or patience to play nursemaid to my device.

I did have to do it with my previous CLIE T615, and I shouldn't have to do it with the Treo 650.

If they want to market this to business users, than it needs to be plug and play. If they want to market it to software/IT students with lots of free time on their hands to tinker to get it to work reliably, then they hit the bulls eye!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12