1.    #1  
    when i want to install some apps onto the SD card it will take forever to get them on there.

i have a SD card reader, any way to copy the apps onto there and then install them?
    I bet most of the time is taken by the Backup conduit. You could

a) temporarily disable the backup conduit when all you want to do is an install

b) copy the file to the PALM\Launcher directory on the card. That's where the applications reside. Should work 99% of the time. Some special programs force a reset on install or are compressed and autolaunch to decompress itself. Those won't work correctly without the Hotsync method.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    The easiest way to get apps on the SD card is to use a utility like PowerRun or Zlauncher. They will both move all the different parts of an app, and create a shortcut to it.
    Zane
    You'll still be using the Hotsync method .. right? (I don't use either of the launchers). The OP was complaining about how long the Hotsync took.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  5.    #5  
    what does zlauncher do?
    It's another more capable launcher. It will also store applications on the SD card and swap them into the RAM of the Treo as needed when running applications.

PowerRun and Zlauncher are popular. I'm not sure if Initiate (another launcher) does the "run from card" thing ..
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM