1.    #1  
    I know many people seem to have a problem where there mail is not deleted from there server when using Versamail with a POP account. I think I've figured out why this may be a problem for some people.

When Versamail is set to leave mail on the server in order to download mail to your POP account from several clients, it has the option like many other mail clients to delete the mail from the server when the trash is emptied (this option is under Server on the Versamail preferences).

In Versamail, when you delete a message, you have the option to also delete the message on the server, but it doesn't actually delete the message off the server until you actually empty the trash. When you if you select empty trash, you have the option to empty both the server mail (permanently delete) or just the handheld. Selecting both will delete the mail on the server.

Now, there's also an option in the preferences section for Deletion, where you can Auto-Empty mail from Trash older than a certain time.

My hypothesis is that since itís an option to delete mail from the server when manually emptying the trash, if you auto-empty the trash it defaults to just the Treo and not the server.

Best work-around for this (assuming I'm correct about my hypothesis above) is to set the Auto-Empty to a long period of time and make sure that you manually empty the trash more frequently than that. It would be nice if Versamail would allow you set what action to take when auto-emptying but ...
    Last edited by geneld; 08/31/2005 at 12:47 PM. Reason: clarified info
    The one time it stopped deleting from the server, I fixed it by deleting the account from the Treo Versamail and re-creating it in Versamail.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I don't use the auto-empty feature because I find it better to empty trash at least once a day. This isn't so much to keep the server clean, but it keeps e-mail from taking up space on the Treo itself. My .02

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by pheath
    I don't use the auto-empty feature because I find it better to empty trash at least once a day. This isn't so much to keep the server clean, but it keeps e-mail from taking up space on the Treo itself. My .02
    Your right I just noticed that you can disable auto-empty. You just have to remember to do it then though.
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    The one time it stopped deleting from the server, I fixed it by deleting the account from the Treo Versamail and re-creating it in Versamail.
    Thanks for the tip. I started having this problem 2 days ago and so far, it looks like your tip has worked for me as well.