1.    #1  
    i want a clean slate for my treo 600
    the only thing that i want to preserve is the phonebook.
    all apps, settings, old files, etc. i want gone.
    how do i go about this? i don't want to clear out the phone only to sync all the old stuff back in...

can someone help me out?
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yapstuz
    i want a clean slate for my treo 600
    the only thing that i want to preserve is the phonebook.
    all apps, settings, old files, etc. i want gone.
    how do i go about this? i don't want to clear out the phone only to sync all the old stuff back in...

can someone help me out?
    Hard Reset. Search for it.
  3.    #3  
    but once I sync won't all those old files be put back into my phone? the only thing I want to keep is the phonebook
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    but once I sync won't all those old files be put back into my phone? the only thing I want to keep is the phonebook
    Sorry about that. You are going to have to delete your backup folder on the PC. Program Files>palmone>"user name">backup delete this folder, but make a backup of it first. Then set your hotsync to desktop overwrites handheld, for contacts, calendar, tasks, and notes/memo i think. Does this help?
    First, hotsync your Treo 600. Then, using Windows Explorer, find the backup folder thats associated with your username. Depending how you installed Palm Desktop, it could either be in c:/program_files/handspring/username OR c:/program_files/palm/username. Rename your backup folder to something like backup_old, or backup_083105, the numbers representing the date. Once done, hard reset your Treo 600 and perform a hotsync. You will be asked to select a user profile, select your username. The hotsync will create a new, clean backup folder and only the Treo's default apps and default databases (contacts, datebook, todo, memo's) will be restored to your Treo. Thats how you do a clean install.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cgordonn
    First, hotsync your Treo 600. Then, using Windows Explorer, find the backup folder thats associated with your username. Depending how you installed Palm Desktop, it could either be in c:/program_files/handspring/username OR c:/program_files/palm/username. Rename your backup folder to something like backup_old, or backup_083105, the numbers representing the date. Once done, hard reset your Treo 600 and perform a hotsync. You will be asked to select a user profile, select your username. The hotsync will create a new, clean backup folder and only the Treo's default apps and default databases (contacts, datebook, todo, memo's) will be restored to your Treo. Thats how you do a clean install.
    A little clearer than my explanation. Thanks for the backup. No pun intended.
  7.    #7  
    why can't i find a folder with my username?
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    why can't i find a folder with my username?
    It might not be your whole username, maybe just a portion of it.
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    okay, so i renamed the backup folder to "Backup083105"
    now how do i make sure that i am keeping the phonebook?
    What are you using for storing your info (Outlook or Palm)? Any matter set desktop to overwrite handheld if all your info is on your computer. You can find this setting in the hotsync manager.
  10.    #10  
    thanks guys...

i got it all sorted out

-jason
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    thanks guys...

i got it all sorted out

-jason
    Cingrats
    I just got a new (refurb'ed) 650, which got stuck in the 'soft reset loop' when I did my first hotsync so I followed the instructions on the Palm website that suggested I rename the backup folder and just restore the factory default settings to avoid third party conflicts. I did that and was able to start the phone fine, but now I want my old settings back -- I don't want to have to manually input all my shortcuts, etc. How do I do this? I already tried re-renaming the backup folder back to its original name, but it doesn't seem to work. Any thoughts?
    in order to get everything back you need to change the backup conduit to Desktop overwrites handheld (don't set it as the default though - otherwise you will never backup anything from your handheld). I'm not sure what conflicts that cause with the data you got back on your Treo already.

The reason for your reset loop may be part of restoring the backup though - see this thread for potentially why it's happening.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=94819