1.    #1  
    Hi -

I have searched through the threads about battery drain issues and didn't come up with a resolution on how to "reset" my battery...

I was having some issues with my Treo 650 so it was replaced with a brand new 650 last Friday. Battery drains in 6-8 hours if I am lucky. It drains just sitting there with no data connection.

My previous Treo 650 would go on for at least 24 hours with heavy use (I have Chatter, VeriChat among other apps) and even then I would still have 10-20% left after 24 hour use.

With a brand new Treo 650 from last Friday, the battery literally drains 15%-20% an hour ... even when not in use.

Nothing has changed (when switched out my old Treo, everything was backed up to SD card using BackupbuddyVFS and restored back on a new Treo) ... do I have defective battery or is there a way to make this battery to "recalibrate" somehow?

Thanks in advance!
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    I have experienced similar results when using an old battery in a replacement phone.

I'm not too sure, but I think youe battery is convered under Palm's one year warranty. so you might want to give them a call and see if they can send you a replacement.

Otherwise, you may want to check on eBay. I was able to buy a spare T650 battery for around $30.
    Quote Originally Posted by vjslater
    Hi -

I have searched through the threads about battery drain issues and didn't come up with a resolution on how to "reset" my battery...

I was having some issues with my Treo 650 so it was replaced with a brand new 650 last Friday. Battery drains in 6-8 hours if I am lucky. It drains just sitting there with no data connection.

My previous Treo 650 would go on for at least 24 hours with heavy use (I have Chatter, VeriChat among other apps) and even then I would still have 10-20% left after 24 hour use.

With a brand new Treo 650 from last Friday, the battery literally drains 15%-20% an hour ... even when not in use.

Nothing has changed (when switched out my old Treo, everything was backed up to SD card using BackupbuddyVFS and restored back on a new Treo) ... do I have defective battery or is there a way to make this battery to "recalibrate" somehow?

Thanks in advance!
    Hi Vjslater!

It sounds like you have a software "corruption" that you have now moved to the new Treo 650 by the direct back up process, which is causing your battery turbo drain.

Hot sync.
    Hard reset.
    Rename your backup folder on the PC to backupold
    (Programs>Palm>youruserid>backup . . . . .to backupold)
    hot sync
    should now have your PIM data back, but no 3rd party software on the Treo
    now re-install 3rd party stuff from scratch.
    This should clear the glitch.

When I bought a new battery (the extended life 2200 mAh from Lion Battery) they recommended that I leave it charging in the Treo for 12 hours to reset the battery and Treo to each other. Then (for a new battery) they recommended 3 to 5 full discharge cycles to set the new battery's chemistry and then to keep it "topped" off as often as possible to extend its life.

Cheers, Perry.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks Perry. So ... I need to remove all of my third party apps (all 32 of them!) and reinstall every one after a hard reset? That would "reset" the battery?
    Thanks Perry. So ... I need to remove all of my third party apps (all 32 of them!) and reinstall every one after a hard reset? That would "reset" the battery?
    Hi Vjslater!

The hard reset sequence was specifically to get rid of what I feel is a problem with one of your 3rd party apps that is causing the "turbo drain" of the battery.

You only need to do the 12 hour charge to "reset" the battery.

Cheers, Perry.
    I am having the same problem, but with a new battery in my same Treo. I will try the hard reset and let you know what I find.
  7.    #7  
    Perry..

I have hard reset and then also followed your advice on 12 hour charge of the battery. With a complete "stock" setup now, it is still discharging 10% an hour with no data connection, no phone calls, no sms ... just sitting on my desk.

I want my old Treo650 from last week back
    Hi Vjslater!

Hate to say it, but if the "new" Treo is still draining 10% an hour just sitting (after a hard reset with nothing added back -- just as it comes out of the box) -- you have a bad battery or a bad Treo. I would take it back and have them try again.

If it doesn't drain like this in the "out of the box" condition, but starts after you start adding stuff back -- then there is still some software corruption in some of your data.

Another thought -- if you are in an area of low signal strength -- the Treo will constantly "search" for a better signal -- causing additional battery usage -- but 10% is a good chunk of battery. Mine loses 3% total in 8 hours overnight on the dresser.
  9.    #9  
    That's how my old Treo did ... I would go to bed and it would lose nothing.. maybe 2% at most.

About signal strength: from the moment they gave me the new unit last Friday, I noticed this behavior which I never noticed on my old Treo .. signal strength will constantly go in and out from 4 bars to none back to 3-4 bars to none. Even in an area where I get 4 bars all the time (metro area), now it just tanks all the time. Also, dialing just is not right ... when calling someone it will say "Dialing" and won't connect then it will just go back to the Phone screen.

ARGH!!
    Definetly not typical behavior. Your replacement needs replacement.

Cheers, Perry
  11.    #11  
    Thanks Perry.

I did take it in and they did confirm that battery was defective so new replacement battery will be in next week.

Now as for the other issues ... stay tuned. Thanks again for your help, though!
    That's how my old Treo did ... I would go to bed and it would lose nothing.. maybe 2% at most.

About signal strength: from the moment they gave me the new unit last Friday, I noticed this behavior which I never noticed on my old Treo .. signal strength will constantly go in and out from 4 bars to none back to 3-4 bars to none. Even in an area where I get 4 bars all the time (metro area), now it just tanks all the time. Also, dialing just is not right ... when calling someone it will say "Dialing" and won't connect then it will just go back to the Phone screen.

ARGH!!

im having the same issues. i bought my original 650 from palm one. it wasa cingular branded phone. i got it a few days after its release.it worked great until i tried to receive a mms. after contacting cingular.... they insisted it was a faulty unit. they sent me a new unit and it turned out that it was on their end. the new unit didnt work any better. i posted a thread here and found out that others were having the same issues. cingular fixedthe problem a few weeks later.

the phone that they gave is a piece of junk. my original phone was much better. my phone is doing the same as above. ahhhhhh !!!! i love my treo but i am having such a hard time with it. it has the dialing issue, the battery issue, the reception is worse.... HELP !!!
    All three issues could be related to a bad battery. No power can affect alot of functions. I would pursue that issue first (getting a replacement battery as VJ did) and then see what happens with the other issues. If the other issues can not be resolved by reviewing the threads at TC, you may need a "replacement" for your replacement.

Hope things work out . . . .
    The turbo-drain problem seems to be gone after the hard reset. I now only have begun to add some programs back on. Thanks for the suggestion.