Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35
  1. #21  
    Marc -

    I've just purchased Chatter and it seems great. Several weeks ago I set up Entourage on my Mac as a POP account. How do I convert it to IMAP? (I've already set up many folders, filters, etc. and don't want to have to start from scratch with a new e-mail box.)

    Many thanks,

    -Jefferson-
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treoramma
    Marc -

    I've just purchased Chatter and it seems great. Several weeks ago I set up Entourage on my Mac as a POP account. How do I convert it to IMAP? (I've already set up many folders, filters, etc. and don't want to have to start from scratch with a new e-mail box.)

    Many thanks,

    -Jefferson-
    I doubt you CAN convert it to IMAP. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to email their customer support though.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    Are you looking for personal email forwarding or corporate? If you're talking about corporate, Good and Intellisync and the top. Intellisync apparently has the most of the non-Blackaberry market according to recent numbers. My company uses Intellisync's Mobile Suite and it's quite good. I've never used Good, so I cannot comment there.

    If you're talking about personal email, everyone on here raves about Chatter. I've never used it though. Intellisync also has a personal solution, which should be good if it's anything like their corporate products.

    Joe
    You can use Chatter for corporate email now too with the OWA plug-in.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treoramma
    Marc -

    I've just purchased Chatter and it seems great. Several weeks ago I set up Entourage on my Mac as a POP account. How do I convert it to IMAP? (I've already set up many folders, filters, etc. and don't want to have to start from scratch with a new e-mail box.)

    Many thanks,

    -Jefferson-
    Entourage is your email program, not your server. Are you looking for an IMAP server, or do you need help configuring Entourage?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  5. #25  
    Thanks for everyone's replies! Let me try and explain my situation a little more clearly.

    1. 5 weeks ago I purchased a MacBook Pro and installed Entourage.
    2. I configured an Entourage mail Account to POP my mail directly from Yahoo!.
    3. I was also POPing mail into my Treo 650 using VersaMail just as I had been doing for a year. My initial purchase of my MacBook Pro did not change anything about the way I was managing mail on my Treo.
    4. Then I went to CTIA (tradeshow) and learned about ChatterEmail in Palm's developers booth, and my whole world view changed. ; ) .. and I decided to upgrade both my Treo and Entourage so all my mail would be in sync.
    5. I decided to forward my Yahoo! e-mail to spamcop.net beause they support IMAP and the IDLE functionalty, which as I understand it, will help me keep mail *and* folders in sync between my MacBook Pro and Treo 650 (please correct me if I'm wrong here).
    6. I've downloaded Chatter to my Treo 650 and it seems to be correctly IMAPing to/from spamcop.net.
    7. My remaining issue is with Entourage. I've invested hugely in my e-mail Account in Entourage. I've configured dozens of mailboxes, sorted thousands of e-mails, downloaded those e-mails from Yahoo! and deleted them from Yahoo! because they now reside in Entourage, I've set up spam filters and filters for my newsletters, etc.
    8. I can't figure out how to change my existing POP Account settings to be IMAP.
    9. I do not want to set up a brand new IMAP account in Entourage if it would mean losing all my downloaded and sorted e-mail, folders, filters, etc.
    10. So, my question is, is there some way to change my current e-mail Account settings in Entourage to be IMAP? And/or is there some way to backup my mail, folders, filters, etc., set up a new IMAP account, and then import all those e-mails, folders, filters, etc. into my new Entourage IMAP e-mail Account?

    Any thoughts anyone has would be HUGELY appreciated. And/or does anyone know of a subject matter expert in personal e-mail (and SPAM/Security) systems - especially on Apple Computers?

    Thank you!!!

    -Jefferson-
  6. #26  
    Jesus f**cking t**ty Christ, Treoramma, you aren't trying to make it difficult for us, are you?

    OK, I'm going to do my best to help you. You have Yahoo!. Yahoo! does NOT support IMAP. Therefore, you can NOT change your Entourage/Yahoo! account to IMAP(being that Yahoo! doesn't support it). What you CAN do, however, is have your Yahoo! email FORWARDED(I believe you'll have to upgrade from a free account for this) to an email addy that DOES support IMAP(such as FastMail), and then configure Entourage to sync with that account, NOT your Yahoo! account(because you wouldn't be able to sync with Yahoo! anyway as it only supports POP3). From that point on you should be able to use IMAP to sync between your Treo and your FastMail account(which has your more recent Yahoo! messages), and still keep the messages you've previously DL'ed to Entourage via POP3 in that account.

    I hope this helps somewhat. I've actually forgotten what we were talking about, so let us hear back and we'll see if we can help you further
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  7. #27  
    Uhhh, yeah. What Shannon said...

    Your issue isn't with Entourage, rather with Yahoo Mail. If you want IMAP functionality, you'll need to get an IMAP mail service. There are free services like fastmail.fm, as well as pay services. Yahoo however, isn't IMAP.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treoramma
    Thanks for everyone's replies! Let me try and explain my situation a little more clearly.

    7. My remaining issue is with Entourage. I've invested hugely in my e-mail Account in Entourage. I've configured dozens of mailboxes, sorted thousands of e-mails, downloaded those e-mails from Yahoo! and deleted them from Yahoo! because they now reside in Entourage, I've set up spam filters and filters for my newsletters, etc.
    8. I can't figure out how to change my existing POP Account settings to be IMAP.
    Setting up an additional IMAP account in Entourage won't affect any of the above. If you look at your current setup, the mail that you download via POP gets dumped into your Inbox under "On My Computer" a.k.a. local mail. IMAP is a remote mail application. Wikipedia has this better explained that I could: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAP

    Quote Originally Posted by Treoramma
    9. I do not want to set up a brand new IMAP account in Entourage if it would mean losing all my downloaded and sorted e-mail, folders, filters, etc.
    10. So, my question is, is there some way to change my current e-mail Account settings in Entourage to be IMAP? And/or is there some way to backup my mail, folders, filters, etc., set up a new IMAP account, and then import all those e-mails, folders, filters, etc. into my new Entourage IMAP e-mail Account?
    All you need to do is go into Entourage and setup an IMAP account as a new account. You will see a new folder for this account on the left pane in Entourage and your messages will show up in a separate inbox (and NOT in your On My Computer.) You can drag and drop messages from your IMAP account into your local mail. When do you this, the messages will automatically remove themselves from your ChatterMail on your next synchronization with the IMAP server.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    What you CAN do, however, is have your Yahoo! email FORWARDED(I believe you'll have to upgrade from a free account for this) to an email addy that DOES support IMAP(such as FastMail), and then configure Entourage to sync with that account, NOT your Yahoo! account(because you wouldn't be able to sync with Yahoo! anyway as it only supports POP3). From that point on you should be able to use IMAP to sync between your Treo and your FastMail account(which has your more recent Yahoo! messages), and still keep the messages you've previously DL'ed to Entourage via POP3 in that account.
    But if you do this, you lose all the functionality of having an IMAP account altogether. One of the pain points of using POP mail is that having to manage duplicate messages on multiple systems. With a single IMAP account, you can check the same message pool everywhere and you only have to manage it once.
  10. #30  
    Thanks everbody!

    OK, there was a bit of confusion in the responses, so let me clarify:
    1. I know Yahoo! is POP-only. That is why I've already forwarded my Yahoo! mail to spamcop.net. Spamcop.net, like FastMail, supports IMAP (and IDLE).
    2. I've already re-directed my existing Entourage POP account to pull mail from Spamcop.net. Again, I set up this Entourage account originally as POP; it has all my mail, filters and rules in it.
    3. I think I now need to:
    a. Set up a brand new IMAP account in Entourage to sync w. spamcop.net. There is no way to redefine the existing account to switch from POP to IMAP.
    b. Import all my e-mail and folders into my new IMAP account.
    c. Will have to re-write my filters and rules since they are 'stuck' in my POP account. This will be a hassle, but at least I won't loose my e-mail and folders since those are stored locally on my hard drive and can be imported into the new IMAP account.

    Let me know if this sounds like a reasonable course of action and if my expectations are correct.

    Thanks everybody!!!

    -Treoramma the trouble maker-
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treoramma
    Thanks everbody!

    OK, there was a bit of confusion in the responses, so let me clarify:
    1. I know Yahoo! is POP-only. That is why I've already forwarded my Yahoo! mail to spamcop.net. Spamcop.net, like FastMail, supports IMAP (and IDLE).
    2. I've already re-directed my existing Entourage POP account to pull mail from Spamcop.net. Again, I set up this Entourage account originally as POP; it has all my mail, filters and rules in it.
    3. I think I now need to:
    a. Set up a brand new IMAP account in Entourage to sync w. spamcop.net. There is no way to redefine the existing account to switch from POP to IMAP.
    b. Import all my e-mail and folders into my new IMAP account.
    c. Will have to re-write my filters and rules since they are 'stuck' in my POP account. This will be a hassle, but at least I won't loose my e-mail and folders since those are stored locally on my hard drive and can be imported into the new IMAP account.

    Let me know if this sounds like a reasonable course of action and if my expectations are correct.

    Thanks everybody!!!

    -Treoramma the trouble maker-
    I think my head is about to explode, but that seems like it might be worth a shot.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  12. #32  
    Question: wouldnt it be easier to (instead of purchasing a program for mailsunchronization) just purchase a domain at godaddy.com (about $9.00) and just forward your email to your new domain on hosted exchange (i.e. www.themessagecenter.com) with GoodLink service. That sounds cheaper and a definite solution.
    The Message Center
    www.themessagecenter.com
    You have no excuse to not be synchronized.
  13. #33  
    For $10/month you'll have Good, but what will you do for your other mail? And will your replies be sent from your new domain or from the original one (which is what most people want)? And how will you send attachments with Good?

    And, finally, how is $120/yr cheaper than, say $39 or $59 one-time?

    Marc
  14. #34  
    Hmmmm...good point. I think the peripheral benfits far outwiegh the minor cost difference...but depending on the software purchased (i.e. pocketmirror, etc) the cost can shoot up fast and limit you to a cable only sync option...and there may be issues with a mac. Opposed to hosted Exchange for an extra $50-60 you get the OTA (Over The Air) syncing, and the ability to check your email from several Entourage, Outlook, Outlook Web Access clients...and all are synchronized. Also, you get several other features such as data back-up (which is priceless), enterprise class anti-virus & anti-spam filters, free copy of Outlook. To me...that is worth the $50. No more cables alone is worth it! Just my opinion though.

    By the way...Chatter...I tried messaging you...email me.
    The Message Center
    www.themessagecenter.com
    You have no excuse to not be synchronized.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by lawong
    But if you do this, you lose all the functionality of having an IMAP account altogether. One of the pain points of using POP mail is that having to manage duplicate messages on multiple systems. With a single IMAP account, you can check the same message pool everywhere and you only have to manage it once.
    I get your point, BUT, I like to keep every email I receive. EVERY one(minus spam, of course). And in that respect, it wouldn't make sense to have thousands of emails on my Treo. That's why I have Gmail forwarding messages to my FastMail account. That way I can keep a small pool of email on my Treo(say 50 or so), yet if I ever need to reference an email in the future, it's still in my Gmail account. And all I have to do is occasionally go into my Gmail account, and mark 'all unread' as 'read'. Simple, and takes like 5 seconds.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions