1.    #1  
    Now that Skype has released open API for developers, is it still difficult to develop Skype for PalmOS ?

"Skype responds to Google Talk with open APIs"
    http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news...le.php/3529771

And, is there any hope for Google Talk on PalmOS ?

I already searched and am aware of the Chatopus jabber means, but I'm looking for voice capability...

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    At best you might see one or more of the chat apps updated to allow text chats with Skype users. Skype would need to completely open up its VOIP protocols or create a Palm (or perhaps create Java) version for there to be a chance to see true VOIP communications with Skype on the Treo or any other PalmOS device. The same is true for Google talk. You can communicate using text messaging with Google Talk users using the Jabber network, but VOIP access is not yet provided for any mobile devices at all, much less the Treo.
  3.    #3  
    ptyork,

why do you think that ?

if API is open, it means the voip API. nobody is wondering the text messaging api...
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    I would VERY suprised if someone created a Skype client for the PalmOS. other than Skype themselves.

The reason is this: A third party client wouldn't be free, where as ALL the other Skype clients are. I think--pure speculation--the market appeal would be low because the whole benefit of Skype is based on FREE end-to-end communication. Plus, I think there are significant technical limitations in the PalmOS, because we've heard rumors about a Vonage Palm client being in the works for quite some time, but still no dice.

Just my 2 cents
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Tuna,

Take a closer look into the APIs and the documentation. First and foremost, the bulk of the APIs only allow you to interact with a Skype installation. Application Programming Interfaces by definition (at least traditionally--some APIs can now operate remotely) provide the ability to interact with or modify a program on a computer, but won't do anything without the presence of the full application. So, for instance, you can add a new emoticon interface to your Skype for Windows (or Linux or (now) Mac OS X) installation. However, you can't use these APIs on a computer without the full version of Skype installed. Since there's no Skype for Palm, there's no way the bulk of Skype's APIs could work on a Palm platform.

The new APIs, SkypeNet and SkypeWeb do operate without the full version of Skype, though in different ways. SkypeNet is the coolest, installing a "mini-Skype" on your computer that really can only be utilized through the API (we old timers might call this a DLL or a shared library). Note that even a "mini-Skype" requires compiled code, and would thus require Skype to specifically target the Palm platform for SkypeNet (i.e., you'd need a "SkypeNet.prc" or something). Further, I'm 100% sure (since I don't know how encompassing the term "IM" is in Skype-speak), but it looks like SkypeNet is only for text messaging. This makes sense. They're not trying to let people create a bunch of custom Skype's. There simply trying to allow people who don't yet have Skype for text messaging to interact with those who do.

SkypeWeb is a "presence" service that really just allows someone using a web browser to query your online status. In this scenario, you tell some server somewhere your status (works only using the most recent beta version of Skype). Then you can imbed some HTML in a web page (or perhaps a BB or e-mail sig) and have your status displayed automatically.

Note that none of these could be used to create a Palm version of Skype. I REALLY wish they could, but they simply can't. Until Skype decides to support Palm OS or opens up their proprietary transmission and compression protocols, we're stuck as second-class citizens to those in Windows Mobile land (now seeing a beta for version 1.2, BTW).

Hope this helps,
    Paul
    What's to stop you from writing RMI/networking code that has a stub on the handheld and a client on a PC that inteacts with the Skype APIs? I guess the biggest drawback might be bandwidth. The second roadblock might be CPU horsepower on the handheld, but perhaps a bandwidth/CPU friendly codec or a proprietary method of encoding voice in a bandwidth/CPU friendly way could be used in communicating between the handleld "remote" stub and a PC client software that talks to the Skype APIs. Yes, some form of Skype DLLs would be installed on the PC, and you might have to tunnel through port 80 into your PC but I think this could be done.

In response to the comment about their being no incentive for a third-party to develop a handheld application, you are probably right on the "commercial" front, but I think this could be a viable open-source project.

regards, -- Bob
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    There's nothing to stop you from rolling your own remoting layer from the Palm to the PC. Bandwidth issues aside (and these issues are pretty big), simply having to code some passable VOIP application might be overwhelming. Perhaps using a streaming MP3 format and a low bitrate, realtime encoder. If those exist in the open source space, then I suppose it could work. Heck, maybe there's even an open source VOIP library, which would make things that much easier. But in the end, it is a LOT of work, and given the limited market and the very limited shelf-life of the 650 (and God willing Garnet), I just don't see the payback on this. By the time you got done, either we'll all be running a WM Treo or have a new Palm/Linux or Cobalt Treo with bandwidth to convince Skype to pull the trigger and roll out a native client.
    Yahoo messenger with voice sounds like a good option. Has anybody treid to install it?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by lghitis
    Yahoo messenger with voice sounds like a good option. Has anybody treid to install it?
    what's that ? and where is it ?