Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    If this exists I have not found it...

A site that allows you to create a forwarding email address that will send messages in 160 character chunks via SMS to an SMS-enabled device.

Perhaps a client that will put the chunks back together into a single message.

Seems technically easy to do and priced right would be significantly cheaper than a $50/month data plan for folks like me that only want to receive a limited number of emails on my phone.

Gene
    You can send an email as a txt already. For instance, on Sprint the addy is xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com (XXX represents the phone number)

Wait...you want to send a long email, and have it broken up...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I think he wants to RECEIVE long messages.

I wrote a script to do this on my linux mail server back when I had a Treo 270 (wow, ages ago). If I find it, I'll post it for you, but you need to run your own mail server...

Cingular splits messages automatically. I routinely get 3 or 4 SMS messages from all my long-winded friends and coworkers. It does not rejoin them, however, so you have to read them one at a time...That is actually a feature of SMS call concatenation, which Sprint didn't bother to implement.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Yes, I'd like to recieve long messages. I use Verizon and know the XXXXX.vtext.com thing, but Verizon has a hard stop at 160 char.

I also carry a Skytel pager. Messages sent directly to the Skytel TAPI server will be sent in multiple chunks, but not between 2-way pagers or phones to pagers. Ideally I'd like to ditch the pager and forward selective email to my 600.

No need to post the script for me as I have no plans on implementing my own mail server (thanks for the offer). I want you to incorporate and make this available as an ad-funded site
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Many carriers offer free email accounts to their customers so that they can receive email from the carrier's WAP gateway. I'm not too sure if Verizon offers this, but I know Cigular does, and I'm pretty sure Sprint does as well.

Also, many popular free email providers offer mobile-optimised sites so users can check their email from a mobile phone or PDA. I know quite a few people that forward the first 160 chars. of email text to their phone, and in the event that they want to read the full email msg. they login to the mail provider's mobile site. it may be a bit of a lengthy process, but it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx
    Many carriers offer free email accounts to their customers so that they can receive email from the carrier's WAP gateway. I'm not too sure if Verizon offers this, but I know Cigular does, and I'm pretty sure Sprint does as well.

Also, many popular free email providers offer mobile-optimised sites so users can check their email from a mobile phone or PDA. I know quite a few people that forward the first 160 chars. of email text to their phone, and in the event that they want to read the full email msg. they login to the mail provider's mobile site. it may be a bit of a lengthy process, but it works.
    spiVeyx
    How do you do this? forward the first 160 char
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    ^ If you are a Verizon customer and send an email message to your phone (<your number>@vtext.com) only the first 160 chars. of the message is retained. I think this only applies to Verizon customers though, because if I sent myself (I'm on Cingular) an email message by way of SMS, I receive the full message in multiple text messages.

...Hope I answered your question...
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx
    ^ If you are a Verizon customer and send an email message to your phone (<your number>@vtext.com) only the first 160 chars. of the message is retained. I think this only applies to Verizon customers though, because if I sent myself (I'm on Cingular) an email message by way of SMS, I receive the full message in multiple text messages.

...Hope I answered your question...
    Actually, I think this only applies to Cingular. Sprint truncts at 160, with no follow ups. I seem to remember someone mentioning specifically about Cingular being different (aside from what was posted earlier). Or, may be a GSM thing???
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    With Verizon and their EMS on the non palm pilots, it allowed messages to be sent to other EMS capable phones up to 1000 characters, but only with specific phones