1.    #1  
    i'm just now starting to get into rss feeds, as i am a news junkie...what is the best one to get?? i'm lookin for a good GUI, easily searchable new feeds urls etc. , please someone chime in and help me out...thx!!
    also what is the quickest,easiest way to find rss feed urls to your favorite sites(i.e. treocentral)??
    quicknews is great...there are one or two good threads on it.

quicknews
    I'll second QuickNews.
  4.    #4  
    i've been playing around with quicknews and I like it.....but I can only get some of the article....how do you get the whole feed of an article??also what are some good tips for finding feeds I want??i use the search funtion,but maybe I'm not putting key words in right for the search,i had to google all the feeds I have so far........thax in advance
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    I fooled around with QuickNews and tried to like it. I have been using Avantgo for several years an am used to having the whole article. Now with the Treo and Avantgo, you can sync anytime.

It seems that the rss applications just pull in the headlines or "teasers" and I also couldn't figure out a way to pull in the whole article. I guess you can select the feed but then it goes to Blazer to download it. Heck, why not just read the news from Blazer using one of the optimized web sites. They are pretty quick.

So, I am back to Avantgo. They do have some improved features for wireless connections, but it is also good for reading the news where there is not a good data connection. Also, even for me as a competent geek, QuickNews was much harder to navigate and use than Avantgo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljj8503
    i've been playing around with quicknews and I like it.....but I can only get some of the article....how do you get the whole feed of an article??also what are some good tips for finding feeds I want??i use the search funtion,but maybe I'm not putting key words in right for the search,i had to google all the feeds I have so far........thax in advance
    Most RSS feeds only provide the teaser/first paragraph or so in the feed itself with a link to the full article that must be opened in the browser on the Treo. If you take your RSS feed URL and plug it into your browser, the resulting xml you see on the screen will show you exactly how much of the text of an article is actually in the feed. Some RSS feeds provide the full article like Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/rss.xml)

There's another program out there called FreeNews (which isn't free by the way, it's a yearly subscription or something) that is a java app for the Treo that includes a "browser" as part of the program that allows you to view the entire article within the program without going out to Blazer.

As for searching feeds, the easiest thing I've found is to use your PC browser to find feeds you want (searching newsisfree.com, syndic8.com, or websites you frequent), then type in the feed URL into the RSS program.

I really like QuickNews btw as well
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    On the QuickNews topic, does anyone else experience settings going back to default and old deleted news getting redownloaded? Just a couple frustrations I have with the app.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    ...It seems that the rss applications just pull in the headlines or "teasers" and I also couldn't figure out a way to pull in the whole article. ....
    This is a common misconception about RSS applications, that you are only getting the headline and not the entire article. In fact it is entirely up to the author of the feed on how much and what part of the article to include in the feed.

I have over 30 feeds in QuickNews and the same on my desktop (Desktop Sidebar). Some of them include the entire article, some just the headline.

Not a limitation of the application, once I learned that I really started liking RSS a lot more...
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
    QuickNews has some minor flaws, but the developer is extremely responsive, and it's the best RSS app for the Treo IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljj8503
    i'm just now starting to get into rss feeds, as i am a news junkie...what is the best one to get?? i'm lookin for a good GUI, easily searchable new feeds urls etc. , please someone chime in and help me out...thx!!
    also what is the quickest,easiest way to find rss feed urls to your favorite sites(i.e. treocentral)??
    Might want to check this thread out that was started not to long ago:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=92352
    -g-

Treo 300-650-755P, Contract ends 11/30/07. SERO F&F 1250, The following are unlimited: N&W (7PM), Mobile to Home (M2H), Free Incoming, Vision Data, Text Messages for $49.99 - Plus Sprint AIRAVE @ N/C.