1.    #1  
    My apologies if this is in the wrong place. I've been looking, but haven't found a solid answer.

I recently bought an unlocked T650 from a random seller on CNet Shopper. This has prompted a friend to consider getting one for himself.

Here's the question:

What is lost by buying a carrier locked (Cingular/AT&T in his case) model and unlocking it vs. buying an unlocked model initially? After unlocking, is it still restricted to updates from the original carrier? What happens if we try to use the unlocked firmware? Dead Treo?

Can somebody please clarify unlocking vs. unbranding?

Many thanks.
    From reading this message board, I gathered that there is no difference after you ROW it. Oh, color scheme IS different. The unlock GSM is darker then the Cingular.

But, if you send it into PalmOne for repair, you may get back a different refurb which could be locked.
  3.    #3  
    re: RickLaw

Are you saying that you can load a SW update that is not Cingular specific, even if the Treo was originally a Cingular branded device? Is this also true of the firmware?
    To my understanding, after you load your Cingular with ROW, all Cingular stuff are gone and so it should behave exactly like another one with ROW when it come to updating. Infact apart from lock/unlock, I can't think of a reason why they should behave different once you ROW your Cingular.

I have not tried it myself. I have an unlocked GSM which came with ROW.