Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    I was on the edge of ditching my Treo 650 in favor of a Blackberry 7250. I had continual problems with reboots and lockups. At least twice a day, my Treo would reboot, typically when pressing the e-mail button. I switched to Snappermail and haven't had a reboot since Thursday night (when i switched)

Nothing on my Treo has changed other than the e-mail client. While I REALLY like Chatter, I was tired of my Treo being unstable. Also, last Monday I replaced my 650 with a brand new one from Verizon, so it's not a HW issue.

No doubt, Chatter has many more features, but (FOR ME) Snapper seems more stable. I'll miss the "push" e-mail but I'm looking for a stable platform.

Any suggestions?
    using Snapper, If you have unlimited SMS like I do with Sprint, you can, or have your ISP forward a copy of your email to your phone, and leave a copy on the server, retrieve as needed.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    How ironic.......I just did the opposite. I didn't realize how great push e-mail was until I switched to Chatter. Haven't had any issues stability wise either.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    I actually like Snapper better. Snapper,for me, is very stable. While Chatter seems to less stable and ties up my data connection,causing me to miss a lot of calls. I understand that many members swear by it but IMHO honestly don't see the appeal other then the working in the background feature and the instant email. I will trade both features for getting all my calls and stability.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rkramer
    I actually like Snapper better. Snapper,for me, is very stable. While Chatter seems to less stable and ties up my data connection,causing me to miss a lot of calls. I understand that many members swear by it but IMHO honestly don't see the appeal other then the working in the background feature and the instant email. I will trade both features for getting all my calls and stability.
    yep.. since switching to Snapper, not a single reboot. With Chatter, I had two a day at minimum. I REALLY liked Chatter as well and Snapper could use a few of their features like the Message notification on the bottom of the screen. I really miss that

My move was for stability...
    I've been with Chatter for months now and in the past month I've been having lots of resets and issues with the Betas but lately Chatter has been really stable. The two biggest features of the latest betas are:
    -HTML support
    -SD card support
    I used to have Snapper and it was rock solid for some time, but the database corruption from time to time was really making me mad.
    I guess it is all about taste.

Al
    While I appreciated the fact that Marc was busy working on Chatter, I had the same experience as a lot of others. I had lots of resets, lots of odd behavior that has completely vanished since I removed Chatter and moved to Snappermail.

I prefer Snapper's large font too, and since I don't use IMAP, the push feature didn't matter to me. Not only that, but I don't always want my mail going to my Treo; I prefer to retrieve mail on my Treo only when I'm away from my computer, so having push just didn't matter to me.

However, the biggest thing was that Chatter doesn't seem to be stable enough. I know Marc has worked hard on it, and is busy improving all the time, but it doesn't behave like a mature application, and crashes were driving me crazy. So bye-bye, Chatter...

Bob
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    While I appreciated the fact that Marc was busy working on Chatter, I had the same experience as a lot of others. I had lots of resets, lots of odd behavior that has completely vanished since I removed Chatter and moved to Snappermail.

I prefer Snapper's large font too, and since I don't use IMAP, the push feature didn't matter to me. Not only that, but I don't always want my mail going to my Treo; I prefer to retrieve mail on my Treo only when I'm away from my computer, so having push just didn't matter to me.

However, the biggest thing was that Chatter doesn't seem to be stable enough. I know Marc has worked hard on it, and is busy improving all the time, but it doesn't behave like a mature application, and crashes were driving me crazy. So bye-bye, Chatter...

Bob
    I miss some of the Chatter features.. one being the little red notification that would allow you to walk through the folders to see the messages. Snapper can be a bit painful in that regard.

It has now been 8 days and I only had one reboot in Snapper, which was yesterday when I tried to open a large html attachment... After the reboot, it worked fine. Still a far cry better than a multiple reboots a day.
    I think Chatter is the only way to go. Push e-mail absolutley rocks. I save a great deal of time because I dont have to stop at a computer to check my e-mail. I've been using chatter since June and my Treo has become more stable from when I was using Versamail.

I also really like all of the Chatter updates. It's great to see that the developer has so much pride in his work.
    Anyone having stability issues with Chatter might try first disabling other software that might also be running in the background (VeriChat being just one notorious example) before giving up.

It's possible that something else is stepping on Chatter while it's running unseen. The phone app might even report the crash as belonging to Chatter. Snapper doesn't run in the background (that's the largest thing that drove me from Snapper into Chatter's open arms...), so there's never an opportunity for such bad behavior to manifest itself.

Pete
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    FWIW: I removed everything except 2Day and TakePhone... still crash city.

Don't get me wrong... I really liked the functionality of Chatter, just disliked the crashes. I actually, own both apps, so the money has already been spent.