1.    #1  
    I'd love to substitute TomTom for my Magellan Roadmate but find it severely lacking relative for browsing.

If I just want to plot a path from where I am now to a know point it works great. If on the other hand I want to find a place real quick, or more importantly, browse for something like restaurants in my area it isn't very helpful.

For searching for a place it has to be in a category. It could not find the resort I was staying at when I searched under hotel. I had to go to DA and get the address and enter it into Navigator.

Can't figure out how to browse in my area at all. For example I've got restaurant POIs set to on and it will show me a symbol for some of them but no text to tell me what the restaurant is. Touching the screen over the restaurant symbol kicks me to the setup screen.

Anyone have any luck getting TomTom to work for these type situations?

In comparison the Magellan will let me search for the name of a place without first selecting a category. I could search for "Great Lakes Yacht Club" for example. Secondly the Roadmate let's me look for restaurants and then it gives me a list of all the restaurants close to my location sorted in order of proximity.
    I agree with most of your observations. Tomtom does require you to go to a category first to select a POI. Sometimes it amazes me that an obscure POI is in its database, and other times I wonder why a POI that has been in business for years isn't in there.

As to touching the screen and getting kicked to setup, that is a very frustrating item when you first use tomtom. I agree that if you have poi's on the screen, their names should show up, just as you can have street names show up on the screen.

As to roadmate letting you look for restaurants nearby, I believe what you're describing is what tomtom does. If you choose find POI, and then the restaurant category, you will get a list of restaurants sorted by proximity to your current location. You can then type to refine that list. So if you choose nearby restaurants, you can then type "olive" to get the nearest olive gardens. I find it works pretty well. You can also search for POI's near a spot on your map. If you browse the map, you can choose to find nearby poi's, and this allows you to pre-select a poi, i.e. a restaurant near your destination. You can also then save it as a favorite.

Overall, I think tomtom is pretty great.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    As to roadmate letting you look for restaurants nearby, I believe what you're describing is what tomtom does. If you choose find POI, and then the restaurant category, you will get a list of restaurants sorted by proximity to your current location. You can then type to refine that list. So if you choose nearby restaurants, you can then type "olive" to get the nearest olive gardens. I find it works pretty well. You can also search for POI's near a spot on your map. If you browse the map, you can choose to find nearby poi's, and this allows you to pre-select a poi, i.e. a restaurant near your destination. You can also then save it as a favorite.

Overall, I think tomtom is pretty great.
    Yes, the restaurant search feature works quite well as you described but it didn't work when I looked for our resort. Perhaps I've got the POI settings wrong.

Here is what I did. We landed at the airport in Tucson. Tried to route to our resort under the hotel POI. I couldn't find it. On the other hand, when I plugged in the address it showed the resort. Perhaps it was user error. When you are routing and trying to leave an airport rental garage there is a lot of stuff going on.

Also, like you said, the database of places is curious at times. Sometimes there are places that are fairly new and other times things are missing that have been around for a while.

Have you tried downloading exta categories or updated POIs from TomTom's service? I wonder if it would be worth trying the service to get updated info?

Finally, yes, I agree that TomTom is pretty impressive. It competes fairly well with the $1000 Roadmate 700 which is impressive since it only costs about $130 (plus pda and gps cost.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    You can also search for POI's near a spot on your map. If you browse the map, you can choose to find nearby poi's, and this allows you to pre-select a poi, i.e. a restaurant near your destination. You can also then save it as a favorite.
    Thanks for your summary Cluemeister. I had also been struggling with using POIs on TTNav5. Your description of how it works for you really helped.

I would also like to hear from anyone that has downloaded additional POIs. It would be good to know what types of additional information are available and if folks have found them useful. I really wish TT would provide better documentation.
    I have not been able to download any additional POIs. I have tried a couple of times while in TomTom and it says there are no additional POIs. I can get additional maps okay. So, I guess what you have it what you get. I would think simple things like ATM's and convenience stores would be there, but they are not.
  6.    #6  
    I haven't been able to figure out how you'd add missing POIs. When I try to add one it gives me the search engine to pick an existing one???? What I do now is add them as favorites. I'd also like to be able to add where I am as a favorite. The documentation is pretty weak. I printed the user manual but didn't bring it along on this trip. Perhaps I'll download it again...using the Treo and PDAnet...which is how I'm connecting in Tucson.
  7.    #7  
    One other thing. The category "shopping center" is pretty useless. I'd rather be able to search for a shoe store, book store, camera store...etc. I've been adding Borders, for example, by looking their locations up online and adding them to my favorites.
    You can add your own POIs. It just takes a while. You need to create a new POI category and then you can add map locations to it. I wanted BrewPubs and so used an online site that would give BP addresses in a given state. Then, when browsing map you can search for that address and then use the cursor button to create a POI from that cursor location. You could add them as favorites if you prefer but I was getting too many favorites and thought that POIs would be as useful and easier to manage.
    An important point about favorites, and that is they do not transfer across maps. For instance, assume you have your home state map with favorites that you have assigned, such as home, work, etc. If you decide to switch to a larger regional map for a longer trip (a trip that includes your original state map), your favorites do not transfer over.

My advice would be to add favorites to the largest map possible and use that map all the time. For instance, I have the northeast from Maine to NJ as my regular map so I don't have to re-enter favorites.
    The same seems to be true of added POIs. However, the added POIs are stored as separate files (by category) with the map and I discovered they will work if copied and pasted into another larger area map directory. So, I guess it might be possible to transfer them to smaller area maps as well (the file would just contain extra POIs that would plot on the current map). Wonder where Favorites are stored?
    Last edited by jrfaris; 08/28/2005 at 10:01 PM.