1.    #1  
    Could someone explain to me how this works.

I want to retain my e-mail adress and domain name. Can I use another imap provider (Fusemail, Everyone.net) as a receptacle for fowarding mail from my paid yahoo POP account. How does this work in terms of getting mail to my chattermail program on my Treo?

Do I have to get an e-mail address specific for Chattermail?

How would a response using chattermail read? Would it display as coming from my yahoo account?

Is there a lag time in mail bouncing off from one account to another?

Will it be any quicker then the current setup which is POP based?

Am I better off just scrapping my yahoo account and starting over with an IMAP provider?
    You need to get the pay Yahoo account ($19/year) and from Yahoo, foward your mail to the IMAP provider (I use FastMail). In your FastMail account, and in Chatter, configure your SMTP server to be the Yahoo one. Doing this will allow you to retain your Yahoo address and any mail you send from Chatter, FastMail online, or Outlook (assuming you use that) will appear to come from Yahoo. Do a search on my user name and FastMail because I think I described this in more detail once before.
    I have heard that Fusemail (an IMAP server) can somehow get Yahoo mail without having to pay to forward the mail. Not sure though.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  4.    #4  
    I don't think you can forward mail from a paid yahoo business account to another mail server without loosing any e-mails. In other words, , mail sent to my address and routed to another e-mail account will not show up in my inbox on outlook.
    heberman: you can get fusemail to pull your yahoo mail into it (or hotmail) but when you get it on your treo using an imap email client, fusemail puts the annoying ads within each email.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

AndrewT - Why not have Outlook look at the new server also?

Marc
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Check this out. Although it was written for Gmail, the process is similar.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    I have heard that Fusemail (an IMAP server) can somehow get Yahoo mail without having to pay to forward the mail. Not sure though.
    I can confirm this was the sace about six months ago, not sure now though.
  9.    #9  
    I don't think paid yahoo gives you the option of having messages sent to the yahoo server even on a paid account. Probably should have gone with GMAIL.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    heberman: you can get fusemail to pull your yahoo mail into it (or hotmail) but when you get it on your treo using an imap email client, fusemail puts the annoying ads within each email.
    Ok. I guess I don't feel so bad now about chosing fastmail over fusemail.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  11.    #11  
    Marc:

By that if you mean having outlook configure with my new server, I thought about that. The only problem there is that I would have to give up my e-mail adress of ----@---company.com. This address is a registered domain with Yahoo, therefore it is their property. Correct?
    No. Why couldn't you just have Outlook point at the new IMAP address?

Marc
  13.    #13  
    I guess I could try that. You are saying that I could get an address identical to the one I have now on IMAP, and just change the settings on outlook to configure with my IMAP account?
    I'm not understanding you. If you have an IMAP address now, and your Yahoo mail is forwarded there, you can just configure Outlook to use that (instead of Yahoo).

Marc
  15.    #15  
    I was referring to the same address as my current e-mail only on an IMAP server. I want to keep the same address as I have now.
    I have this setup exactly. Here's what I do:

1. Pay Yahoo! account for $19.95 a year. The free account does not allow mail forwarding.

2. Forward to a free AIM account (2GB storage, IMAP server, spam filter inluded)

3. Setup email clients. The process is the same for desktop clients (I use thunderbird) and Chatter. The incoming server is the aim imap server; the outgoing is the yahoo! smtp server. All email clients are setup the same way.

4. This will accomplish: all yahoo! mail "pushed" to your email clients (via forwarding)-- the lag time is neglible; all replies/new outgoing messages appearing to be from your yahoo! account.

The link above to the Gmail setup is virtually the same. However, some differences: Gmail allows mail forwarding on free accounts, yahoo! does not; Gmail gives an option to leave forwarded mail on its pop servers, yahoo! does not; I described AIM (free), vs fastmail (pay) as the imap account.

It's actually pretty straightforward. The only reason I still use Yahoo! over Gmail to do this is because I've had my yahoo! address for 8 years and all of my contacts know to reach me that way. Hope that helps.

-Sketchy